Disney's Animal Kingdom donates white rhinos to Uganda

Vernonpush

Original Poster
Article can be found here:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...,26698.story?coll=orl-middayupdate-latestnews

From the Associated Press:
Two white rhinos took their first steps on African soil today, officials said, after being flown into the country from a Disney theme park in Florida to boost stocks.

The couple, which have a combined weight of 5.5 tons, bring the number of endangered white rhinos in the country to just eight, wildlife officials told The Associated Press.

"They were very wary when they first came out of the crate and the male tried to charge which is characteristic of rhinos," said Patrick Atimnedi, a vet with the state-run Uganda Wildlife Authority said.

They were released in the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary in Nakasongola district, about 110 miles northwest of Uganda's capital Kampala after a four-day journey from their home in Disney's Animal Kingdom in Florida.

The sanctuary can accommodate 50 rhinos and it is hoped that Nande and Hasani, aged 7 and 5 respectively, will settle down and breed within the next year.

"It must be strange for the animals to come to Africa for the first time but I suspect they'll acclimatize quickly -- Florida is very hot and sunny too," said Uganda Wildlife Authority spokesman Lilian Nsubuga. "I think the four rhino already living in Ziwa can't wait to teach the new arrivals a thing or two about living in the wild."

Rhinos are only found in the wild in Africa and Asia. They are threatened with extinction with only 17,500 in the wild, according to the International Rhino Foundation based in Yulee, Fla.

Uganda was once a popular tourist destination famed for its abundance of wild animals, however civil unrest and heavy poaching during the 1970s and early 80s devastated native wildlife populations. Uganda's rhino became extinct; the last wild animal recorded as being seen in 1983.

EpcotMark

Yeah it does seem a bit strange. I suppose theyre are just trying to repopulat the species. Hopefully, they wont get poached there as well.

imagineersrock

I wonder if one of them was this one that came right over to our vehicle on the safari?

th_Disney04040.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
When was the photo taken?

missionspace

Soon there won't be a safari at AK, Every time I go there is less and less animals! AK needs more animals not less! Don't get me wrong I think it is good what they are doing, like they did with the Bongo, but please replace what you take away! When they built Everest they got rid of several cattel! Ak needs more animal areas not just thrill rides and shows! It is called ANIMAL Kingdom!

CTXRover

Soon there won't be a safari at AK, Every time I go there is less and less animals! AK needs more animals not less! Don't get me wrong I think it is good what they are doing, like they did with the Bongo, but please replace what you take away! When they built Everest they got rid of several cattel! Ak needs more animal areas not just thrill rides and shows! It is called ANIMAL Kingdom!

Compared to opening day in 1998, the animal population at AK has grown quite a bit, mostly from births at the park, including African elephants that notoriously have had a difficult time breeding in captivity. The increase in the number of animals is actually most noticeable on the safari, but because of the very nature of the safari, sometimes you see a lot of animals and other times it seems a little more sparse. Besides entertainment, the park has an important purpose to help study animals and assist in conservation efforts and repopulation of endagered species around the globe. An act like this is a testament to the more important role AK serves beyond just being a theme park.

As an aside, the cattle that were once seen where Everest is were placed on the Jungle Trek in Asia and I believe some can be seen on the savannahs at AK Lodge.

RSoxNo1

What type of cattle are you talking about?

Were the longhorn cattle always on the Savannah, because I only remembered seeing them in the last couple of years.

CTXRover

What type of cattle are you talking about?

Were the longhorn cattle always on the Savannah, because I only remembered seeing them in the last couple of years.

I'm not sure if they are the same cattle or not, but when AK first opened, the area where Everest now sits had some longhorn cattle grazing. They could be seen from either the boat trips, the overlook from the Theater in the wild or from the seating for the Flame Tree BBQ. I actually only remember seeing them one or two times during my vists to AK in its early years.

When AKL opened, one of the exclusive animals for the lodge were longhorn cattle which I assume were the same animals. Other longhorn cattle can now be seen on the African Safari and the Jungle Trek in Asia. I'm not sure if these are all the same species or just different types of cattle. Either way, they did not get rid of those animals when they built Everest...they were simply relocated.

RedBaron

Yeah it does seem a bit strange. I suppose theyre are just trying to repopulat the species. Hopefully, they wont get poached there as well.
I thought the same thing as well. I think it is wonderful that Disney can afford to give 2 white rhinos back to the wild. It would however be a shame if the animals were harmed by poachers after leaving a safe and happy home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom