Disneyquest in Chicago closing!!!!!

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Comments:
DisneyQuest Chicago Closing!

---Forwarded article----------------
DisneyQuest falls short of goals; will close Sept. 4

By Ameet Sachdev, Tribune staff reporter. Tribune marketing columnist Jim Kirk contributed to this report.

DisneyQuest, a souped-up video arcade near Michigan Avenue, will
close its doors on Sept. 4 after a two-year run because it failed to
live up to Walt Disney Co.'s financial expectations.

Disney said it would make an official announcement Friday.

The company brought its so-called "indoor interactive
entertainment venue" to Rush and Ohio Streets in June 1999 to much
fanfare because it was the first built outside Orlando. Meant as a
prototype for future urban locations, the five-story,
90,000-square-foot complex features attractions such as CyberSpace
Mountain, where people ride a self-designed roller coaster inside a
twisting capsule, and Virtual Jungle Cruise, which re-created a ride
down river rapids.

Disney updated the facility last year by unveiling a virtual reality
ride based on its famous Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. Last
fall, it lowered the price of an adult admission to $26 from $34. It
also hired a new ad agency. Although Disney said the moves weren't
related to slackening demand, they apparently were not enough to keep
the lobby full and pay for expensive rides.

"We have concluded that the expected returns on the investment
required to achieve DisneyQuest's cutting-edge technology standard in
a stand-alone environment will not meet the company's financial
requirements," said Randall Baumberger, senior vice president of
Disney Regional Entertainment in Burbank, Calif.

Disney spokeswoman Leslie Ferraro declined to disclose traffic counts
at the unit, though she said the concept had been "exceptionally
well-received."

DisneyQuest is part of the North Bridge development, a joint venture
of developer John Buck and Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co. that
includes the Nordstrom store and music retailer Virgin Megastore.
Disney is working with the landlord to terminate its lease.

The closure is not surprising given that theme-based entertainment
venues and restaurants have lost much of their glamor.

Several of DisneyQuest's downtown neighbors have gone out of business
in recent years, including Eerie World Cafe, Planet Hollywood and the
Jekyll & Hyde Club, which sat between DisneyQuest and ESPN Zone. They
all could not solve the same dilemma: How to attract repeat visitors
after their successful starts.

Disney never opened a third location for high-tech arcade concept. The
Orlando unit, which opened a year before the Chicago site, will remain
open.

Customers who have annual passes to DisneyQuest or prepaid tickets
will be offered full refunds.

The closure will throw 270 employees, more than 70 percent of whom are
part-time, out of work. The company will seek to transfer DisneyQuest
employees to other business units where possible, Ferraro said.

ESPN Zone, Disney's nearby sports bar and entertainment center, is not
affected by DisneyQuest's shutdown.

dopey

being in chicago, i knew when dq first opened that it was doomed to failure. i'm only surprised that they admitted defeat so soon.

disney regional entertainment thought it could attract teenagers, conventioneers and tourists.

at $26 a ticket (originally $34), dq is too expensive for teens, who, for the most part, avoid all things disney anyway because it's considered juvenile.

conventioneers would rather drink than play video games. and they can do both at the espn zone down the block.

and tourists come to chicago to visit the sears tower, john hancock building, field museum, art institute, wrigley field, navy pier, second city and the hundreds of other cultural attractions in the city.

i never went to dq chicago because my sons are too young (6 and 2) and there's little for them to do there.

i'm surprised disney said it's going to continue to build these things in other markets. i believe they were planning to open the next one in philadelphia, but i don't think that happened.

i suppose it's nice that they thought they could pull this off, but they ignored a lot of realities in the urban marketplace.

dopey

here's an interesting article that ran when dq chicago first opened:

DISNEY'S DARING CONCEPT THE COMPANY'S INDOOR INTERACTIVE THEME PARK OPENS IN CHICAGO WEDNESDAY, TESTING THE BIG-CITY FUN HOUSE IDEA

06/16/1999
Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO SPORTS FINAL; N
(Copyright 1999 by the Chicago Tribune)

With the opening of its DisneyQuest indoor interactive theme park in Chicago Wednesday, the Walt Disney Co. is hoping it can become the entertainment king of the urban jungle.

Disney long ago established its theme parks as the top tourist draws in once little-known burgs in California and Florida. But Chicago presents some unique challenges that will put DisneyQuest through its paces and help determine whether the big-city fun house concept is sound enough for Disney to roll out to as many as 30 other locations worldwide in coming years.

"By the nature of it, location-based entertainment is difficult to succeed in," Art Levitt, president of Disney Regional Entertainment, said in March, when the Chicago DisneyQuest was formally unveiled. "We've got to learn the hard way and see what we do."

The DisneyQuest experiment at Rush and Ohio streets is the Burbank, Calif.-based company's first such high-tech arcade to be built outside of the sprawling Walt Disney World resort in Orlando. The five-story, 90,000- square-foot facility features interactive games and motion-simulator rides, many based on Disney cartoon characters, to give visitors a taste of the Disney theme park experience.

But Disney observers question whether DisneyQuest can sustain interest, especially from the fickle teenagers who figure to be Disney's most vital market. After all, this isn't the tourist-trap mecca of Orlando, where Disney has the luxury of a massive captive audience ready and willing to spend big bucks on all things related to Mickey Mouse and his pals.

It's also questionable whether DisneyQuest's other major target market, Chicago's steady stream of conventioneers, will choose an arcade over the host of world-class diversions the city offers, from the Art Institute to Lincoln Park Zoo.

Complicating matters for Disney, established competitors in the location-based entertainment industry, which couples arcade games and food under one roof, have already sprouted in the Chicago area. Steven Spielberg's GameWorks opened earlier this month in Schaumburg, Dave & Buster's is located just up the street from DisneyQuest, and Sony Corp. is planning to build its Metreon family entertainment center in the River North area by late 2000.

"I think DisneyQuest ought to work, but we won't know long term until it's been around for two or three years," says veteran entertainment analyst Harold Vogel. "These things typically do well the first year; they attract every curious person in a 100-mile radius. But after the neighborhood teenagers have `been there and done that,' it's possible that it will level off."

The "pay-for-play" admission price of $16 entitles visitors to play in any of DisneyQuest's four distinct zones.

Explore Zone boasts adventure games like Virtual Jungle Cruise, where guests paddle a raft through virtual river rapids. Score Zone pits guests against computer-generated villains and space aliens. The highlight of Create Zone is CyberSpace Mountain, which allows people to design their own roller coaster on a computer and "ride" it in a motion simulator. Replay Zone has classic video and carnival games, such as Buzz Lightyear's AstroBlaster, where you shoot rubber balls at other bumper cars.

Executives with Disney Regional Entertainment estimate the DisneyQuest here could attract more than 3 million visitors a year, drawing from the more than 40 million business and leisure travelers to Chicago each year as well as local residents. That kind of number would make it Chicago's third-most-popular tourist destination after Navy Pier and the Lincoln Park Zoo.

That kind of number would also ensure a less-appealing aspect of the Disney theme park experience: extremely long waits in line.

At the Orlando DisneyQuest, which is 10,000 square feet bigger than the Chicago version, only 1,500 people are allowed inside at any one time to limit the wait in line to an average of about 10 minutes.

The average length of stay is in the 2 1/2 to 3 hour range. So to cram in 3 million visitors a year while maintaining some crowd control, DisneyQuest would have to stay open about 17 hours a day every day and remain at full capacity the entire time.

That's highly unlikely, says Disney theme park expert Bob Sehlinger.

He doubts DisneyQuest could comfortably accommodate even one million guests a year, which was the number of people Disney officials told analysts they were expecting before the first DisneyQuest went up. People who are willing to wait 40 minutes to get on, say, the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney World because of its grand spectacle may not be as willing to cool their heels that long while standing in the corner of a dark, noisy room, he says.

"If they're thinking 8,000 a day and you know there are going to be peak times, with a big blip around evening hours, that's going to be insane," says Sehlinger, author of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. "I don't see how that computes."

Disney executives didn't return calls to explain how DisneyQuest in Chicago will handle the crowds or generate enough repeat business to avoid the fate of other location-based entertainment facilities in the River North area.

The Viacom Entertainment Store closed down earlier this year, the Official All-Star Cafe struck out and the David Copperfield Magic Underground themed eatery never materialized. GameWorks had also toyed with the idea of a downtown location, but backed off and headed to the suburbs.

Still, facing the problem of too many people beats the alternative. And analysts agree DisneyQuest is an interesting concept bolstered by Disney's deep pockets, marketing expertise and reputation for high-quality family entertainment.

It just might not work in Chicago, a city already brimming with entertainment options that aren't as hard on the pocketbook.

"I do wonder how many of these concepts a city can support," says Linda Bannister, an Edward Jones entertainment analyst. "But clearly it is very attractive to children, teens and some adults who don't get sick on simulators."

DisneyFreak

I would have thought that DQ would have done better out in the suburbs then downtown. I think a Schaumburg location, or Rosemont (next to O'Hare) would have been a much more successful area for Disney.

popkid

i've only been to DQ in downtown disney - and after my one and only visit i had a bad feeling about it. the place was over-run by unsupervised kids running around the place - and, well, being kids :)

the employees at the cheesecake factory were not disney empolyess and their attitudes reflected that highly. service was rude and obnoxious - below the level i'd expect from a fast food joint.

all this - and we there as quests of Disney to inspect DQ at the request of the WDW TRAVEL COMPANY.

our entire group had so many negative comments about DQ - and i turned out that i was the one who stuck around the longest(only because i wanted to design and ride my own roller coaster - which also was very dissapointing). everyone else bailed after an hour or so...

dopey

in chicago, you don't have to go to dq for the cheesecake factory. there's one down the block by the john hancock tower -- without hordes of screaming kids.

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Originally posted by dopey
in chicago, you don't have to go to dq for the cheesecake factory. there's one down the block by the john hancock tower -- without hordes of screaming kids.

your making me hungryyyy!!! lol

Grim Grinner

It was destined to fail...

Recently I went with a group of friends to DisneyQuest to drum up support for an expedition to WDW (Mission accomplished: 3 months until WDW!). When we got there, we found a sea of outdated exhibits and rides. Most of the technology used in the simulators was at least 5 years old. In fact, the Pirates of the Carribean was the only cool thing there.

The sheer amount of costs that are needed to continually update tecnology, particularly simulator technology is a curve that no company will want to eat the costs on. Call me a jaded gamer (hey, it's what I do for a livin') but these "rides" were just plain dull.

The Space Mountain ride needed something to give a feeling of speed. Heck, a simple fan blowing air past you would have improved matters.

Overall the rides were poorly maintained and there was no Disney feel to it.

I just hope that Mission: Space, which is reputed to use the same simulator technology, will be much better.

<SRH>

I have to agree with Dopey on The Cheesecake Factory. I am originally from Morton Grove Illinois, we moved down here in '79. I still go up to Chi-town to visit relatives. My aunt took us to the Cheesecake Factory in the Hancock building. It is nothing like the one in DQ. It is a full menu restaurant. Also, the interior looks like something from Gotham City. I also believe there was another one at Old Orchard shopping center in Skokie.

Castle Cake Apologist

The CheeseCake factory in DQ is NOT THE CheeseCake Factory, it's the CheeseCake Factory express meaning that its not a full menu resteraunt, but a fast food joint... The actual cheesecake factory is somewhere in DownTown Disney (Not sure where... but its there) If you want real food while in DQ, eat at the Wonderland Cafe, Hey, they've got internet access, what more could you want? :)

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Originally posted by DisneyExpert
The actual cheesecake factory is somewhere in DownTown Disney (Not sure where... but its there)

I have been looking for the cheesecake factory in Downtown Disney for years and have not been able to find it. So either I'm totally crazy (which is entirely possible) or the one in Disney Quest is the only one. :)

Seano846

Originally posted by Eeyore

I have been looking for the cheesecake factory in Downtown Disney for years and have not been able to find it. So either I'm totally crazy (which is entirely possible) or the one in Disney Quest is the only one. :)

Yeah< I think the only one is inside DisneyQuest

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Originally posted by Eeyore

hmm i need some cookie dough cheesecake right now lol

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Originally posted by Disneynut
Sorry, but there is no Cheescake Factory, other than the one at DQ, anywhere on property.

Thank you DisneyNut, now I can finally stop looking for the ellusive Cheescake Factory. Phew, maybe I'm not crazy afterall. :D

d dude

when i went to DQ chicago 2 years ago i didn't think it would survive. But it was very [pricy$$$] fun but I won't miss it:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom