Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

George Lucas on a Bench

It's just not a Star Wars fantasy I want to live out, being shot at by stormtroopers in hallways. We don't even get to shoot back. At least the Millennium Falcon ride lets you sort of pilot the ship and do things. Maybe I'm too hard on both rides, but y'all know me. I'd rather just ride the old crap.

socaljoeyb

To be fair to the likely hundreds of Disneyland CM's who are trained to work on this big ride, my impression is based solely on the two (2) CM's that met us and interacted with us as our shuttle craft emptied into the landing bay of the star destroyer thing with all the robot Stormtroopers (who didn't quite move enough to make it believable, which also led to the 9 out of 10 score). Just two (2) CM's can make or break this experience, and the two CM's that I drew by chance clearly weren't the best.

If I had gotten two (2!) stellar CM's instead; tall or at least imposing, milatristic, crisp, darkly forceful, then my experience would have been quite different and my feelings would likely change for the better. I'd be here raving about them instead of somehow defending my opinion of what I experienced.

Which is my point. All it takes is one or two off-key CM's and this very elaborate and impressive attraction starts falling apart quickly. The entire experience hinges on your ability to buy into what is happening to you. And the CM's they have staffing it are integral to that concept most pointedly during the time you arrive on the star destroyer to the time you board your ride vehicle.

This issue might all become moot by this summer if Disneyland management can get a better handle on the showmanship of their CM's in the First Order uniforms. But if they continue to just throw campy Alexander from Alhambra in there who feels the need to make up for the silent lump of a CM next to him, then the hundreds of millions of dollars that Burbank spent on this ride will not be put to very good use.

My first experience with the First Order CMs was great... 2nd not so much.

Californian Elitist

A couple notes...
@raven24 I totally agree about it not being “fun.” Impressive, yes, but not fun.

It’s not that the ride isn’t fun, I’m just not super impressed by it. I think it’s okay. I honestly don’t care if I never ride it again, and I’m definitely not going through that hassle to experience a ride I find to be just okay.

I’m really hoping Disney will do much better with the upcoming Avengers ride. I would actually like to be blown away.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
This thread hasn’t disappointed. It seemed a few pages ago everyone was agreeing that the ride was the best thing Disney has ever done. The only complaints were minor technical nitpicks and the always funny “it should’ve been Darth Vader”. Now it’s suddenly “ugly”, “dreary” and no fun. Good job, guys.

Californian Elitist

This thread hasn’t disappointed. It seemed a few pages ago everyone was agreeing that the ride was the best thing Disney has ever done. The only complaints were minor technical nitpicks and the always funny “it should’ve been Darth Vader”. Now it’s suddenly “ugly”, “dreary” and no fun. Good job, guys.

The select few of us who got to ride Rise before the regulars here have all said the same thing about it being okay, way before the reviews started here.

Nothing’s changed and not everyone is going to enjoy the ride the same as others all the time.

el_super

It is impressive, but it isn’t joyful. It’s big, but what an ugly and dreary attraction. The best attractions often don’t say much, but make you feel something.

That's a really weird way to put it. It's not like Indy is all that joyful either. Tower of Terror is pretty dreary. I don't think being a bright, colorful cartoon is really a necessary qualification for being a great attraction.

It’s not that the ride isn’t fun, I’m just not super impressed by it. I think it’s okay.

Just comes with age. When you've been around attractions like these for awhile, it's really hard to be impressed. I know Rise and Smuggler's Run are both technological marvels, but yeah... I would easily skip them both if the wait was over 30 minutes.

On the other hand, some people just get impressed by seeing a character they recognize from a movie, so no doubt Rise will be popular for decades to come.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yup... too cool for school...

Curious Constance

It’s still hard for me to fathom that the first drop on POTC is more thrilling than any moment in either brand new Star Wars ride.
Thrills really up the repeatability of rides in my opinion. I mean, once the shock and awe wears off of Rise, how many times does the average person need to experience it? Especially those not hyper into Star Wars. (Like most of the 🌎)

Curious Constance

I bet a lot of the variance and opinions on this ride is heavily influenced by how much the person liked Star Wars to begin with. Some people can’t seem to stand that others aren’t willing to give up their firstborn and call this the greatest attraction ever made, and I bet those people just weren’t that into Star Wars to begin with.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thrills really up the repeatability of rides in my opinion. I mean, once the shock and awe wears off of Rise, how many times does the average person need to experience it? Especially those not hyper into Star Wars. (Like most of the 🌎)

The affinity for classic Disney attractions flies 180 to this postulation....

most of the world arent aren't into pirates or ghosts... but people love re riding those without big thrills. Let alone fantasyland...

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I bet a lot of the variance and opinions on this ride is heavily influenced by how much the person liked Star Wars to begin with. Some people can’t seem to stand that others aren’t willing to give up their firstborn and call this the greatest attraction ever made, and I bet those people just weren’t that into Star Wars to begin with.

take Star Wars out of the picture and look at things like the full 360 sets... scale... effects... surprise... mix of experiences... and none of those really rely on a Star Wars attachment.

mickEblu

I don’t know. I like Star Wars a lot. Not an Uber fan but I enjoy most of the movies/ John Williams scores and the worlds/ stories/ characters they have created. GE just doesn’t hit home for me though.

I agree on what you said about thrills.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I wont comment on the ride because I haven't experienced it yet..

Disney suits don't understand the allure behind Pirates or Big Thunder, Indy or Space Mountain, but they're all for M:BO and Incredicoaster and Star Wars Land in its entirety, which all of them arguably lack a certain type of creative freedom for WDI. And a lot of moronic journalists eat out of the palm of $hapek's hands calling said changes the most incredible thing since cars were invented.

Imagination is no longer needed - Disney is gonna tell US what to think and what to like, which is a conflict of interest to the people who grew up with Disneyland being all about creativity. IP wasn't mandated until, what, between 5 - 10 years ago? Disney was doing just fine for 50+ years before that. So RotR may be a great experience, but it's capped because we all know Star Wars and we already have a grown perception of what Star Wars is & should be. The sky is not the limit.. the IP is.

socalifornian

I wont comment on the ride because I haven't experienced it yet..

Disney suits don't understand the allure behind Pirates or Big Thunder, Indy or Space Mountain, but they're all for M:BO and Incredicoaster and Star Wars Land in its entirety, which all of them arguably lack a certain type of creative freedom for WDI. And a lot of moronic journalists eat out of the palm of $hapek's hands calling said changes the most incredible thing since cars were invented.

Imagination is no longer needed - Disney is gonna tell US what to think and what to like, which is a conflict of interest to the people who grew up with Disneyland being all about creativity. IP wasn't mandated until, what, between 5 - 10 years ago? Disney was doing just fine for 50+ years before that. So RotR may be a great experience, but it's capped because we all know Star Wars and we already have a grown perception of what Star Wars is & should be. The sky is not the limit.. the IP is.
Yes! They’ve proven that they don’t know Star Wars or understand why it has such a wide appeal again and again. Like this little detail:
F73DC058-1484-4ADC-8E4C-C3BA21A7BA67.gif

Kylos helmet is in pieces at GEs point in the timeline. It isn’t the most glaring choice they’ve made and it isn’t surprising, but it’s there. My Star Wars loving friends and I weren’t really sure what to say about the overall ride experience as we walked out of GE. Except that it wasn’t worth waking up so early for

DDLand

It's just not a Star Wars fantasy I want to live out, being shot at by stormtroopers in hallways. We don't even get to shoot back. At least the Millennium Falcon ride lets you sort of pilot the ship and do things. Maybe I'm too hard on both rides, but y'all know me. I'd rather just ride the old crap.
Edit: I forgot to reply to @George Lucas on a Bench . Disney doesn’t understand that the Star Wars environments mostly stink. What makes Star Wars successful is the characters. Stormtroopers don’t make a good story. Great characters interacting with Stormtroopers make great stories. Thus, the ride became us getting shot at by Stormtroopers in corridors.
It’s not that the ride isn’t fun, I’m just not super impressed by it. I think it’s okay. I honestly don’t care if I never ride it again, and I’m definitely not going through that hassle to experience a ride I find to be just okay.

I’m really hoping Disney will do much better with the upcoming Avengers ride. I would actually like to be blown away.
Thanks for the clarification and sorry about putting words in your mouth! I was alluding to the part where you mentioned Goofy Sky School was more fun.
But do you disagree with my analysis? Do you feel that the interior spaces of the attraction are beautiful, alive, and fascinating? I would imagine the answer has got to be a definite no. Now, you could contend that this really doesn’t matter. That’s an argument. But I would then ask if said attraction belongs in Disneyland. That’s the question!

That's a really weird way to put it. It's not like Indy is all that joyful either. Tower of Terror is pretty dreary. I don't think being a bright, colorful cartoon is really a necessary qualification for being a great attraction.
Are the interior spaces of the attraction varied and alive? No, it’s a series of long bleak hallways while being shot at. Thus, it is a dull environment. Compare to Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Pirates, Radiator Springs, etc. Is the environment bright? No, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. See, as you pointed out, Tower of Terror. When combined with the dullness though, the dark corridors become uninteresting. I never asked for cartoons.

If someone is willing to come on here and argue that Rise of the Resistance is beautiful, I would be madly impressed. You can argue that doesn’t matter, but I would point to the success of every other E-Ticket last decade. FoP, RSRs, PotC:BftST, and Mystic Manor are all beautiful. Even Tron is visually captivating.

Yup... too cool for school...
Isn’t there a place to critique the substance of the product? I liked a lot about it, but I (and other posters) have legitimate criticism. This is the “Criticism, Reviews, and Deep Thoughts” thread. Seems logical right?

SoCalMort

I grew up here in SoCal and was 7-9 years old when the greatest version of Tomorrowland ever built, The Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean welcomed their first guests.

It kinda made an impression.

Ever since then more than a small part of me wondered if something like that could happen twice in a lifetime. Scott Trowbridge has proven to me it could and what surprised me the most in that moment was not that it happened but where it happened.

It wasn’t on a short excursion from Batuu. That said, RotR is a technical wonderland that fascinates. Beyond immersive, it is an astonishing near-seamless single-take experience. If only its subject was worthy of its effort.

Put simply, these enormous star ships with sterile interiors are big and cold. While extremely impressive to take in at full scale, in the end they really are just utilitarian hallways…massive, realistically detailed but tonally apathetic passageways. This can be a challenging setting for near-seamless single-take experiences.

The drama then doesn’t come from the where but rather from the who and the what: the First Order with its firepower and Kylo Ren with his force powers. Unfortunately the life-size stormtroopers are inert and the cinematic ones inept. Re Ren: it’s a chase that’s mostly the threat of a threat - just wait ’til I get you - until the apex moment which comes off slightly flat (pun unintended).

Upon realization, these moments become as threatening as Mr. Toad’s or Roger Rabbit’s but infinitely more amazing. There’s nothing as eerie or subtly dangerous as Pirate’s caverns or Mansion’s hallways. Instead it’s almost like riding through a life-size cuckoo clock that has a space ship theme.

It’s fun for the *whole* family and ain’t nuttin’ wrong with that. It’s just kind of a weird setting where what you see doesn’t match what you feel. The lack of even the slightest motion base on the main ride vehicle, while 100% realistic for the environment, adds to the physical disconnect and makes this invisible barrier feel stronger because the setting is so immersive.

The lack of any physical barrier, except a shoulder harness, in a vehicle that in a near Clockwork Orange way forces your attention in one direction - on a system that can move you around in any direction like a high-tech movie camera - is what makes Forbidden Journey so amazing.

It allows you to literally ride a movie in the sense the ‘edit’ between experiencing an extreme close-up in one location to a long-shot in another takes a fraction of second. No transition needed. No transition wanted. Plus early on in the queue it wisely establishes a ground rule regarding what is physical and what is screen and stays with it throughout the ride thereby avoiding any uncanny valley moments.

RotR is an amazing, several orders-of-magnitude leap forward in A-Z theme park storytelling. While not nearly as ambitious, I wonder if MMRR will be a more complete and satisfying experience because of its setting/story.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

take Star Wars out of the picture and look at things like the full 360 sets... scale... effects... surprise... mix of experiences... and none of those really rely on a Star Wars attachment.
I understand this, and while I’m looking forward to riding this summer, I just think the Star Wars subject matter will be too much for me to overcome. I’m not saying I’m gonna hate it, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it, but it’s not going to be one of the time rides that makes me want to come back, I can almost guarantee it. And I disagree with most people not liking ghosts or Pirates, I think those have a much wider appeal than Star Wars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom