Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

TP2000

Original Poster
Is that manager photoshopped? I've been staring at the photo and still can't decide.

Maybe that's a credit to how good the CM costuming is to blend with the land colour palate that a guy in a button down might as well look like he is wearing fluorescent pink.

I don't think he is. It's a photo from Micechat's stock photographer.

And I don't think Photoshop is advanced enough to make a manager look that genuinely dorky.
The software just isn't quite there yet.

TP2000

Original Poster
In terms of CMs getting into the part, this ride is also 1000% better suited to it than the rest of the land. They have better costumes, you have heroes and villains, adventure and peril. It all seems very Star Warsy. Compare to the other banal half of the land where CMs have to say bright suns or whatever, hand out cards and tell us how, uh, Hondo needs our help to be engineers. It's not quite Steven Spielberg in E.T. telling us he needs our help, is it?

In ROTR, it's like "Come on, let's board this spaceship!" or "This way, prisoners! Interrogation awaits!" or "We're breaking you out of here! To the vehicle! How many?" Very exciting!

That's a great point. This Resistance ride seems much more agreeable to role play by Ky'le from Tustin.

The times I've ridden Millennium Falcon: Target Run, the CM's were having a hard time playing along. It was all so forced and kind of dumb. But this Resistance ride has such clear and decisive roles with clear outcomes, it must be easier for the CM's to get into the fun and convey their zest with just a few key words and simple phrases.

BrianLo

OK peeps, I've very briefly scanned your posts... I'm avoiding watching the whole thing and will hold out till the Spring...

BUT

Can someone finally answer for me how long the actual "ride(s)" are?

TP2000

Original Poster
OK peeps, I've very briefly scanned your posts... I'm avoiding watching the whole thing and will hold out till the Spring...

BUT

Can someone finally answer for me how long the actual "ride(s)" are?

5 minutes long in the actual ride vehicle.

RobWDW1971

That's a great point. This Resistance ride seems much more agreeable to role play by Ky'le from Tustin.

The times I've ridden Millennium Falcon: Target Run, the CM's were having a hard time playing along. It was all so forced and kind of dumb. But this Resistance ride has such clear and decisive roles with clear outcomes, it must be easier for the CM's to get into the fun and convey their zest with just a few key words and simple phrases.

I just wish the um...”body types” were consistent with Empire/First Order soldiers - it’s more than a little distracting.

George Lucas on a Bench

The thing with Falcon is you can chalk that up to "storytelling" because these are miserable space pirates working for a space shipping company. Everything about it is boring and we have no idea what we're even doing there until the end, at which point we still don't care. "We need to secure that shipment of cargo!" Eh?

It's not like we're rushing through an exciting setting with aliens and robots and some sort of dire mission where they'd be like, "Come on, we've gotta get to the Falcon!" Nobody even knows who Hondo is. It's really a terribly designed experience all around and this total opposite attraction really proves that.

mickEblu

I have reverse disappointment in the land and Millennium Falcon ride and now excitement to ride this.

The novelty of the new land diminished after a visit and taking first-timers there. We did the obligatory "Ooh/Aah" when we saw the Falcon, experienced the guilty pleasure of being pilot on the ride, peed in the weird bathroom with circus music playing and then got bored with it. It's just a massive, massive disappointment.

Do you remember about 5 months ago when I was saying all of this and you were bustin my balls?

George Lucas on a Bench

tenor.gif

DLR>WDW

I doubt that Jan 17 will be the first date regular guests can ride this. If they can get the ride cycling to a point in which they’re comfortable with within a few weeks, this thing will totally soft open. With the counterpart already open in Florida, there’s no pressure regarding media being the first to document and report everything.

Ismael Flores

Who's way of thinking? Disney kept people away intentionally by restricting APs. I highly doubt they will do it again to APs so the question is whether they will do away with SoCal discount passes in the usually slow season in the winter/spring. That's a way of signaling that locals are not appreciated. If the ride is a bonafide hit, then maybe people will drop by, or they won't. My issue is it's a Sequel Trilogy attraction that will depend on how many will enjoy seeing Kylo Ren instead of Darth Vadar. It's an unfortunate choice.
they already announced the so cal discount coming in January. $200 two day

DLR>WDW

they already announced the so cal discount coming in January. $200 two day
Where? If true, this‘ a big step down from the $180 3-day park hopper. Speaking of, that ticket is absolutely horrendous for AP holders. They’ve paid thousands for their pass, only for an insanely good deal that brings in butt-loads of people to clog up the parks. On the other hand, it’s a great deal so yay.

Ismael Flores

a little off topic but does anyone know why Disney went thru all the trouble to get costumes to the CMs that fit the land but has security walking around the land with regular security wear.
you would think they could also have them dressed up with a costume that showed them as part of a security force but still badges that says yes i am real

TP2000

Original Poster
a little off topic but does anyone know why Disney went thru all the trouble to get costumes to the CMs that fit the land but has security walking around the land with regular security wear.
you would think they could also have them dressed up with a costume that showed them as part of a security force but still badges that says yes i am real

Also the Earth managers wearing Dockers, and Guest Relations kids wearing bright plaid outfits.

It's like they were going in the right direction, but once they got to the 85% level they just said "Okay, I'm bored now, let's just forget about the other departments."

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I dont hate this ride. I like it a lot.
Its not a horrible ride. Falcon is a horrible ride. ROTR is not. The queue is right up there with some of the best Disney queues of all time. Right up there with Indy's (but Indy's has the leg up). My postives from the ride povs:
The BB-8 AA is awesome
The Rey Hologram is amazing(I just dont like Rey as a character)
EVERY PART OF THE ITTS SHUTTLE IS FANTASTIC although I was told Nien Nunb would be flying and the pilot AA doesnt look like he turns around to make out if it is him or not but he appears on some monitors wearing the helmet so that works I guess.
The first Kylo AA is damn good(and I am not a Kylo fan)
The AT-AT lowering its guns at you and firing on the 1st pod is great.
The cannons shooting as you travel under them is good.
THE RAMP. We finally get one we can walk up in the land.
THE NOT SOO GOOD:
The Storm Troopers once you get off the ITTS SHUTTLE have little to no movement.
The door that "falls apart" as the reisistance members help you escape and load you onto the vehicles looks like a crappy effect.
The Probe Droid comes down too sloow and you can tell how the effect is done
Too many screens used in the ride that look like screens
Having a General Hux AA
The Lightsaber effect is like I predicted
The At-At heads don't move so Disney lied in its advertising.o
THE STORY IS CONVOLUTED AND POINTLESS. The ride's story is "spinning its wheels the ride." We are recruited, get captured, escape only to go back to batuu on our merry way. Um..werent we on our way to see Leia cuz she needed us? Why not have her come to Batuu at the end. "Sorry you couldnt come to me so i came to you". Guess that mission to leia was meaningless if they dont have us get on another ship to go see her. Also why is Finn a well known defector going undercover in the 1st place? What was his original mission? Did he know we were going to get randonly kidnapped in advance? If not why is and the other resistance fighters in disguise on a random star destroyer orignally like Rey said???
The Finn AA's are too robotic.
The last Kylo AA looks very robotic and moves unnaturally and the door falling in front of him is not convincing at all and looks like something out of Earthquake from Universal as others have pointed out.
Overall it is a solid ride. I like it as a whole but its been way overhyped. Is it a good ride? Hell, yeah. Does it look fun? Hell, yeah. Does it set a new Imagineering bar? Hell, no. Is it the best Star Wars ride? Hell, no. Star Tours is better and more thrilling and fun and Hyperspace Mountain is fantastic. Does it make up for the Falcon Ride? 100% yes. I like it. Its exactly what I thought it would be. I don't hate it, I am not in love with it. But its decent and that is all it had to be. And I love that it uses actual Star Wars music for once in the land.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Forgive me if this video of the Resistance ride and facility was already posted here, as I spent most of this evening over in the DHS thread discussing the Twink From Tattooine, his foibles, and his upcoming Disney+ debut (it's a long story, and yes it was during the cocktail hour)...

twink from tatooine.jpg

Where was I? Oh yeah, actual reality...

I just saw this video on the LA Times. It's a nice summary of the ride with professional footage; the queue, the pre-show, the ride itself, and devoid of the creepy "Woohoo!" moments that you get from the fan bloggers from Kissimmee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom