Disneyland's Marketing Strategy for 2020??? Because 2019 Was A Mess!

TP2000

Original Poster
In the long run, while I really really hope none of my friends lose their jobs, a 'thinning out' and restructuring of the Anaheim resort to help it run more efficiently and to allow decisions to be made and implemented quicker might not be a bad thing. I'd love for Disneyland to be ran with the freedom and autonomy of, say, Knott's- though I know this is a pipe dream.

I couldn't agree more.

Again, no one wants to see people lose their job. But let's be honest and realize that 30,000 Anaheim Cast Members are already out of jobs, with 70,000 more out in Orlando.

If and when the parks reopen, there will obviously be massive rounds of salaried layoffs numbering in the thousands. I can't think of any reason why the Disney Parks Blog people should keep their jobs instead of a Jungle Cruise Skipper or a Tomorrowland Terrace fry cook or a parade dancer.

In the very dark economic days ahead, the business of running theme parks and hotels should focus intently only on that operation. There just is no longer any justification to employ armies of cubicle drones putting new spreadsheets on their TPS reports or creating Disney Parks Blog posts viewed by a few hundred bored superfans who would already go to the park anyway.

DanielBB8

What exactly do they do to earn the title of cubicle drone? Disney is about marketing. They do the hard sell. This require organization to carry out these marketing, merchandising, and theme park events. Every time someone complains about not getting through for information at their hotlines, they need Disney office workers to feed them the information. When things are not organized well like Disney used to do, you know they laid off their experienced personnel. Things will return to normal in the next 12 months. There's 4 phases of reopening in California. We're in phase 2.

Phroobar

Disney marketing did great in 2019, they told everyone to come in and see Star Wars Land while making the "reservation only" part a small disclaimer. This way the media got to play messenger and they got carried away like always.
Good news is they can use the same campaign again. It should be just as effect at keeping people away like it did last year.

Come visit Disneyland!
Reservations are limited. Wear your mask and don't touch anything!!

George Lucas on a Bench

PSX_20200315_185359.jpg

SuddenStorm

They’re not going to cut marketing more than other departments. Marketing is very important.

I agree.

Their TV ads, social media presence, and word of mouth are going to be essential to the resort's reopening for a few reasons.

They're going to need to convince people Disneyland is still worth visiting with these safety measures in place. They're going to have to convince the Signature Plus AP's to renew even though capacity is so limited they're not even guaranteed admission unless they book a Disneyland Hotel room.

They're going to need to generate excitement for Avenger's Campus amid the myriad of 'come even though COVID has you wearing a mask in the glorious OC sun'.

They're going to need to counteract the word of mouth from families that say 'man, visiting Disneyland with all these precautions just isn't the same, and definitely isn't worth the $200 price for a 1 day park hopper'.

It's times like these I'd bet the Resort still had Lindquist masterminding the greatest marketing campaigns and special events the entertainment industry has seen.

Phroobar

I agree.

Their TV ads, social media presence, and word of mouth are going to be essential to the resort's reopening for a few reasons.

They're going to need to convince people Disneyland is still worth visiting with these safety measures in place. They're going to have to convince the Signature Plus AP's to renew even though capacity is so limited they're not even guaranteed admission unless they book a Disneyland Hotel room.

They're going to need to generate excitement for Avenger's Campus amid the myriad of 'come even though COVID has you wearing a mask in the glorious OC sun'.

They're going to need to counteract the word of mouth from families that say 'man, visiting Disneyland with all these precautions just isn't the same, and definitely isn't worth the $200 price for a 1 day park hopper'.

It's times like these I'd bet the Resort still had Lindquist masterminding the greatest marketing campaigns and special events the entertainment industry has seen.
'man, visiting Disneyland with all these precautions just isn't the same, and definitely isn't worth the $200 price for a 1 day park hopper'.

I'm looking forward to that exact attitude from most park guests. The park will be empty and I could go on RotR multiple times in a row. The parks could be as pleasant as it was after 9/11 for a few years.

Disneylover152

'man, visiting Disneyland with all these precautions just isn't the same, and definitely isn't worth the $200 price for a 1 day park hopper'.

I'm looking forward to that exact attitude from most park guests. The park will be empty and I could go on RotR multiple times in a row. The parks could be as pleasant as it was after 9/11 for a few years.

Exactly. It sounds like it's going to be great. Yeah, masks suck, and there will probably be some rules that seem questionable, but at the same time, we will never see the parks this empty for a long time. I think smaller crowds & a more "boutique" experience makes $150+ even more worth it. Especially if they find a way to have entertainment still!

I'm still holding out hope they can find a way to make World of Color/Fantasmic work with Fastpass only seating. (I really wanna see World of Color, first trip it was closed for that year-long "refurbishment" and the second trip we got the times confused). Maybe they can show Mix Magic without fireworks throughout the night sporadically, to avoid crowding and keep nighttime entertainment.

cmwade77

To build on top of your excellent points. Convincing people entertainment is worth it is going to be difficult. High priced events like concerts and themeparks are going to be dealing with people who just realized they can be at home for 3 months and be perfectly fine without any outings.

Furthermore with high unemployment people are holding their wallets tighter. Now certainly isnt the time for most to go splurge on a big vacation.
Actually, for me and a lot of people I know it is now the exact opposite.

Having so many things closed for 3 months has made me aware that I have been taking having the ability to go to a theme park or on a vacation for granted and have even delayed trips (especially single day ones) because I didn't feel like going or felt that I couldn't afford it because I needed to buy this or that for the house of I thought spending money on Netflix, etc. Was important.

This has taught me those materialistic items really aren't necessary, but this trips, the moments we spend in the parks, on vacations, etc. With friends and family, those are what last a lifetime and to stop putting these trips off for "someday" and instead make someday today.

This has also taught me what materialistic necessities I really don't need as I wasn't able to get them.

I know many others that feel the same way, including those with less money and less stable jobs than I am fortunate enough to have.

I think many Americans are in the same boat and as a result, I think we will see a lot less spending on things and a lot more spending on experiences, especially when finds are limited.

smooch

Actually, for me and a lot of people I know it is now the exact opposite.

Having so many things closed for 3 months has made me aware that I have been taking having the ability to go to a theme park or on a vacation for granted and have even delayed trips (especially single day ones) because I didn't feel like going or felt that I couldn't afford it because I needed to buy this or that for the house of I thought spending money on Netflix, etc. Was important.

This has taught me those materialistic items really aren't necessary, but this trips, the moments we spend in the parks, on vacations, etc. With friends and family, those are what last a lifetime and to stop putting these trips off for "someday" and instead make someday today.

This has also taught me what materialistic necessities I really don't need as I wasn't able to get them.

I know many others that feel the same way, including those with less money and less stable jobs than I am fortunate enough to have.

I think many Americans are in the same boat and as a result, I think we will see a lot less spending on things and a lot more spending on experiences, especially when finds are limited.

I'm definitely in this group, I guess we took going places for granted 🤣. In all seriousness, though, I really do miss being able to go out and do something for entertainment, I'm really really getting annoyed with everything being closed and am itching to be able to do anything. I know we need to be cautious and me being bored doesn't matter as much as being safe, but I miss being able to go sit down and have lunch with friends or go to Top Golf or something and have some fun. I don't think many people will walk away from this experience feeling like they can continue staying home all the time. The fact that we are seeing protests and people going out despite quarantines anyways is evidence of that, I'm not saying it's a majority but I honestly feel like most people at this point would love to be able to go places like a movie theater or restaurant and not have to stay in and watch Netflix and stay in bed / sit on the couch like they have been for months on end now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom