Disneyland's Fantasyland vs Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland

Disneyland's Fantasyland vs. Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Haha, this will be (easy!!) interesting. Which is the better land in your opinion? I know my fav for sure ;)

18658842989_72b0a841d9_b.jpg
29161860102_86b2e5f16e_b.jpg
29161861722_bb23c6ca60_b.jpg
Its-a-Small-World-exterior-11.jpg
4332387304_399247b5df_b.jpg

Disneyland's Fantasyland

9368048903_54bd35c46c_b.jpg
2953441456_496373c25e_b.jpg
Storybook.jpg
c3857af15ef9c3ae51529bb01b4a48ae.jpg
many-adventures-winnie-pooh-bricker.jpg

Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland

ThemeParkTraveller

Magic Kingdom's has gotten much more aesthetically pleasing with the New Fantasyland additions (it was a total blowout in Disneyland's favor before), but Disneyland still wins for its quantity of attractions and overall atmosphere with the Matterhorn looming over the entire storybook village.

BrianLo

What's almost more sad is that TDO blew through more than half a billion dollars and MK still doesn't really have more rides in "Fantasyland" than when they opened.

Snow White's Scary Adv, Peter Pan, Small World, Carousel, Teapots, Dumbo, Mr. Toad, 20k, Skyway
Seven Dwarf's Mine Train, Peter Pan, Small World, Carousel, Teapots, Winnie the Pooh, Mermaid

Nor did it even make this a close competition. How does something get a 500 million dollar extension and the answer is still: "well duh, Disneyland's is way better"?

dweezil78

What's almost more sad is that TDO blew through more than half a billion dollars and MK still doesn't really have more rides in "Fantasyland" than when they opened.

Snow White's Scary Adv, Peter Pan, Small World, Carousel, Teapots, Dumbo, Mr. Toad, 20k, Skyway
Seven Dwarf's Mine Train, Peter Pan, Small World, Carousel, Teapots, Winnie the Pooh, Mermaid

Nor did it even make this a close competition. How does something get a 500 million dollar extension and the answer is still: "well duh, Disneyland's is way better"?

You're not wrong... but I also think people get way too caught up one "ride" #s when comparing parks or lands or whatever. Both BOG and the Belle attraction are big draws at MK. So while not technically "rides" they are both very popular with guests and provide something to do that shouldn't just be discounted because they don't contain cars on tracks. The Mickey 3D movie also has decent capacity #s, but isn't quite so popular anymore and is probably due for a replacement by now. But again, not really fair to just toss it aside bc of the "ride" thing. I feel like WDW in general has more attractions that fall into this "non-ride" category. Also, if you're going to count Small World as part of our FL, I feel like it's probably fair to count Dumbo and Barnstormer with MK's -- the whole circus area is really just a sub-land of FL. (If you look at it on the MK map, it is part of FL and not labeled as its own thing, unlike our Toon Town which is a proper land.)

But yeah, Disneyland's FL blows MKs away in just about every way. It's very cohesive and intimate, with every possible speck of land fully utilized. My only complaint is that it really lacks a big dazzling e-ticket attraction and is made up of just a bunch of smaller, but charming, attractions. Not counting Small World, which kind of exists on its own island away from it all.

BrianLo

You're not wrong... but I also think people get way too caught up one "ride" #s when comparing parks or lands or whatever. Both BOG and the Belle attraction are big draws at MK. So while not technically "rides" they are both very popular with guests and provide something to do that shouldn't just be discounted because they don't contain cars on tracks. The Mickey 3D movie also has decent capacity #s, but isn't quite so popular anymore and is probably due for a replacement by now. But again, not really fair to just toss it aside bc of the "ride" thing. I feel like WDW in general has more attractions that fall into this "non-ride" category. Also, if you're going to count Small World as part of our FL, I feel like it's probably fair to count Dumbo and Barnstormer with MK's -- the whole circus area is really just a sub-land of FL. (If you look at it on the MK map, it is part of FL and not labeled as its own thing, unlike our Toon Town which is a proper land.)

But yeah, Disneyland's FL blows MKs away in just about every way. It's very cohesive and intimate, with every possible speck of land fully utilized. My only complaint is that it really lacks a big dazzling e-ticket attraction and is made up of just a bunch of smaller, but charming, attractions. Not counting Small World, which kind of exists on its own island away from it all.

It's more to point out that Magic Kingdom's has always been behind and it weirdly has never really gotten any closer. I do like Philharmagic and I do really like Belle for what it is.

In Magic Kingdom's defence it is far and away not the worst Fantasyland out there. That befalls my beloved Hong Kong.

All of them do need a dazzling E-ticket. It's been way too many years that Fantasyland hasn't clearly had one. I mean we've got our Small Worlds, Matterhorn, Hunny Hunt's and Mine Trains. But unequivocally Tokyo will finally be the first with beauty and the beast...

Then ironically Tokyo Disney Sea will be the second/third with its New New Fantasyland that is all but that in name.

ThemeParkTraveller

In Magic Kingdom's defence it is far and away not the worst Fantasyland out there. That befalls my beloved Hong Kong.

Would you consider the Frozen area to be an extension of Fantasyland at HKDL? Thematically it makes sense to include it (and not just because the current land is quite barebones) just like the Marvel area will still be part of Tomorrowland.

BrianLo

Would you consider the Frozen area to be an extension of Fantasyland at HKDL? Thematically it makes sense to include it (and not just because the current land is quite barebones) just like the Marvel area will still be part of Tomorrowland.

Yup! If New Fantasyland qualifies that certainly does. It's just barely under site prep so I can't exactly include it in who has the best/worst current Fantasyland. The conversation will certainly be different, especially depending on how much they improve Frozen Ever After.

BasiltheBatLord

The thing I like about DL's FL is that it actually feels like a self-contained "neighborhood". If the goal was to theme to a Bavarian village or whatever, they did a pretty decent job. WDW's is fine but it feels like this really long, winding wide area where I can't really tell what the buildings are supposed to be in relation to each other. Actually now that I think about it that applies to every non-DL park I've been to. (Although this is ignoring the idea of Matterhorn area + Small World being part of FL in DL, which I think they officially are...)

Last edited:

drizgirl

I bet NFL accomplished what it set out to do..... add more land so they could increase park capacity and hard ticket sales. Not to mention a cash cow income producing high capacity restaurant.

Nextinline

Be Our Guest and Gaston's should not be discounted when comparing Fantasyland's! I've really enjoyed the ambiance of NFL at night as the crowds thin out. I think those experience put it over the top for me.

Rich T

For me it's not even close. The Fantasyland dark rides are my favorite Disney attactions, and DL's FL has five of them, including the world's only remaining Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Alice, which I'd pick as the best classic dark ride of all. Add in Casey Jr., Canal Boats being swallowed by Monstro, the Small World area, outdoor Teacups and the Matterhorn, a carousel that isn't..."saddled"...with a stupid name, the Sleeping Beauty walk-through... DL's Fantasyland is the heart of all Disney parks to me. As long as it stands, I can still see the real magic the big, seemingly soulless media giant retains at its core.

mmelka

I haven't spent much time at Disneyland's FL in a long while, but have been to WDW twice recently. Even with my long time ago memories of Disneyland, it is superior to me. Plus, the Matterhorn > 7DMT, though I do find 7DMT entertaining, just not 90+ minute waits entertaining. I will be at Disneyland though for the first time in over a decade in 13 days though, the excitement is real!

NiarrNDisney

This is a hard one I find they both have their standouts but I gave my vote to Magic Kingdom by tipping the hat with sheer size. Fantasyland in DL is much like the rest of the park small and quaint but I personally am not a fan claustrophobia.

I will say Disneylands it's a small world almost tipped it in its favor!

kevlightyear

New Fantasyland made this a lot harder than it would have been otherwise. 7DMT is a well done attraction. Little mermaid gives a modern touch to the land that DL is missing. The BatB section is a nice touch too. Comparing castles is fruitless, they're both amazing in their own right. Carousel's are a tie. Mickey and the magical map is more entertaining than expected, but Philharmagic is just as good if not better. I like the double spinner Dumbo, the new new queue-less queue is annoying. The edge I think goes to DL because of the classics. Snow white is better than a meet and greet. Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Monster and the story book canal boats, and Alice and Wonderland are exclusive, and tip the scales. Tony Baxter's redesign has really held up well. The small world outside facade is beautiful and original. When you add in the Matterhorn, DL gets the win pretty easily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom