News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

BayouShack

Just learning up “Bear-y Tales” now. If I understand correctly, they’re taking a 4D shooter ride, that was formerly the site of a Rolly Crump designed physical dark ride, and they are just retheming it to Bear-y Tales...without the physical characters and sets?

I’m not sure why theme park companies do this. I’ve been on the 4D Triotech shooter at Canada’s Wonderland. It wasn’t great. I’m sure this will be marginally better, but why not put the time in effort to give fans a Bear-y Tales dark ride that is faithful to the original (but with better technology)?

In their defense, it’s hard to justify completely demoing a ride that’s only five years old. I see it as a win. Maybe we’d be getting something different if they were starting from scratch, but they need to make the Triotech system investment work.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

In their defense, it’s hard to justify completely demoing a ride that’s only five years old. I see it as a win. Maybe we’d be getting something different if they were starting from scratch, but they still need to make the Triotech system investment work.
I don’t think it will save the initial failure. It may make things “better”. But I fear it dooms the possibility of the original Bear-y Tales returning as a dark ride.

Brer Panther

Just learning up “Bear-y Tales” now. If I understand correctly, they’re taking a 4D shooter ride, that was formerly the site of a Rolly Crump designed physical dark ride, and they are just retheming it to Bear-y Tales...without the physical characters and sets?

I’m not sure why theme park companies do this. I’ve been on the 4D Triotech shooter at Canada’s Wonderland. It wasn’t great. I’m sure this will be marginally better, but why not put the time in effort to give fans a Bear-y Tales dark ride that is faithful to the original (but with better technology)?
Yeah, the Knotts' fans finally get Bear-y Tales back and it's just another Toy Story Midway Mania clone. I'm tired of Toy Story Midway Mania clones.

DanielBB8

Yeah, the Knotts' fans finally get Bear-y Tales back and it's just another Toy Story Midway Mania clone. I'm tired of Toy Story Midway Mania clones.
DCA’s Spiderman ride is a clone of Legoland’s Ninjago ride.
1618186035881.jpeg
1618186146356.jpeg

Miru

DCA’s Spiderman ride is a clone of Legoland’s Ninjago ride.
View attachment 547643View attachment 547645
A derivative of a derivative... but with at least one actual animatronic. (When are they gonna update the original?)

I feel like they could have kept Iron Reef, or turned it into a water ride (keeping interactive elements, though), while making a Bear-y Tales that is more true to the original. (Perhaps Bear-y Tales in the Kingdom of Dinosaurs?)

DanielBB8

A derivative of a derivative... but with at least one actual animatronic. (When are they gonna update the original?)

I feel like they could have kept Iron Reef, or turned it into a water ride (keeping interactive elements, though), while making a Bear-y Tales that is more true to the original. (Perhaps Bear-y Tales in the Kingdom of Dinosaurs?)
The animatronic doesn’t change anything with the ride. They are using the same gesture controls like Ninjago.

You can’t turn Iron Reef into a water ride. It will be a completely different ride. Unless they can fund Beary Tales with millions of dollars to build stages with figures, then I doubt it will happen. This is a simple update that does the same job with interactive elements. Why are you being so hard on poorer Knott’s? You should be harder on Disney.

Miru

The animatronic doesn’t change anything with the ride. They are using the same gesture controls like Ninjago.

You can’t turn Iron Reef into a water ride. It will be a completely different ride. Unless they can fund Beary Tales with millions of dollars to build stages with figures, then I doubt it will happen. This is a simple update that does the same job with interactive elements. Why are you being so hard on poorer Knott’s? You should be harder on Disney.
Okay... I’m hard on places like Knott’s and Legoland because Disney and Universal won’t even bother listen to this sort of talk until it’s too late, if that. To get them to listen, the little guys need to step up their game so that Disney and Universal can get their heads back in the game and take inspiration from them. Disney changing Snow White behind our backs was the point where I decided they wouldn’t listen to the general public. They didn’t listen to us back then, they won’t now. It’s at smaller places where changes can be made.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

Okay... I’m hard on places like Knott’s and Legoland because Disney and Universal won’t even bother listen to this sort of talk until it’s too late, if that. To get them to listen, the little guys need to step up their game so that Disney and Universal can get their heads back in the game and take inspiration from them. Disney changing Snow White behind our backs was the point where I decided they wouldn’t listen to the general public. They didn’t listen to us back then, they won’t now. It’s at smaller places where changes can be made.
Universal Studios Hollywood just opened Secret Life of Pets ride with actual animatronics. Sigh.

el_super

I’m not sure why theme park companies do this.

$$$

In their defense, it’s hard to justify completely demoing a ride that’s only five years old. I see it as a win. Maybe we’d be getting something different if they were starting from scratch, but they need to make the Triotech system investment work.

Yeah but taking a nostalgic brand with a very specific niche audience and tying it to a bad ride concept as the potential of damaging the brand more than elevating the ride concept. I get that they had to do something to recover their costs on Iron Reef, but maybe they could have come up with something new/different or something that tied into another area of the park? Not that I really think there's much "value" in the Bear-Y-Tales brand for future consumption. It really was a kind of weird "you had to be there" thing.

This is a simple update that does the same job with interactive elements. Why are you being so hard on poorer Knott’s? You should be harder on Disney.

Why be hard on either? Theme parks are a business and they have to be run as such. Knott's is just acknowledging that Disney's focus on nostalgia and IP are winners.

Miru

Universal Studios Hollywood just opened Secret Life of Pets ride with actual animatronics. Sigh.

Good concept, but given that the IP will likely fade fast, will this be able to outlive its IP? Universal does have a fast turnover rate for rides compared to Disney (for the most part).

George Lucas on a Bench

Another lame-o Universal DreamWorks ride. I'm sure it's fine for babies or whoever, but maybe someday they'll do more Legacy attractions like the Universal Monsters, or a return of an enduring franchise like BTTF, which only seemed to become more popular after they closed the ride.

It's why I like what they have done to an extent in Orlando. Some cool roller coasters like Hagrid and Velocicoaster, the underrated Skull Island ride and of course, Fast and Furious: Supercharged, the pinnacle of theme park attractions.

This looks like something out of the recently aborted and rebooted Epic Universe, weird modern properties for little kids but with some promise if they were to slap in some more classic or PG-13 content. Lots of cartoons at Universal these days.

DanielBB8

Good concept, but given that the IP will likely fade fast, will this be able to outlive its IP? Universal does have a fast turnover rate for rides compared to Disney (for the most part).
I can see myself going on this ride every time as routine even if it's below my age demographic. I may want to just get out of the sun or I had enough show attractions or motion based movie attraction. This ride brings balance to the theme park. It's like why I go to Small World every single visit to Disneyland. It's because I grew to love it despite the period in the teenager years where you get bored with everything.

Will Universal give up on it? That's always the risk, but Universal can theme it for holidays and other improvements or another sequel. The ride is quite well done and much better than anything Disney did recently. It's on par with the Little Mermaid ride. What would be better is the Minion gets it's own dark ride as an interactive shooter ride.

Last edited:

Miru

Another lame-o Universal DreamWorks ride. I'm sure it's fine for babies or whoever, but maybe someday they'll do more Legacy attractions like the Universal Monsters, or a return of an enduring franchise like BTTF, which only seemed to become more popular after they closed the ride.

It's why I like what they have done to an extent in Orlando. Some cool roller coasters like Hagrid and Velocicoaster, the underrated Skull Island ride and of course, Fast and Furious: Supercharged, the pinnacle of theme park attractions.

This looks like something out of the recently aborted and rebooted Epic Universe, weird modern properties for little kids but with some promise if they were to slap in some more classic or PG-13 content. Lots of cartoons at Universal these days.
Technically, this is from Illumination, which is even kiddier than Dreamworks. Agreed about the lack of legacy attractions: you’re telling me that An American Tail doesn’t have a proper ride? No SpongeBob ride? Nothing for Land Before Time?
I can see myself going on this ride every time as routine even if it's below my age demographic. I may want to just get out of the sun or I had enough show attractions or motion based movie attraction. This ride brings balance to the theme park. It's like why I go to Small World every single visit to Disneyland. It's because I grew to love it despite the period in the teenager years where you get bored with everything.

Will Universal give up on it? That's always the risk, but Universal can theme it for holidays and other improvements or another sequel. The ride is quite well done and much better than anything Disney did recently. It's on par with the Little Mermaid ride. What would be better is the Minion gets it's own dark ride as an interactive shooter ride.
We already have a Minion ride; why not one focused on the human characters for the dark ride? This could bring in a lot more storytelling and scene potential than just “random laugh out loud Minion antics”.

Last edited:

brb1006

Secret Life Of Pets is by Illumination though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom