News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

Sharon&Susan

I guess I don’t mind TSI so much because I can hardly remember what it was like without it. Did they remove stuff to add the Pirate stuff? It was it mostly just additions? I personally don’t care for the Pirate stuff but it doesn’t bother me either. I would prefer classic TSI though. I do like the spinning wheel that brings up the treasure(?) Was that there before or is that “new?” All I can remember from when I was a kid is the swaying bridge. Then I pretty much didn’t go back there for about 25 years.
Most of the big disappearances were before and after the Pirates theme was in place like the merry Go Round Rock, Fort Wilderness, and the Teeter Totter Rock and recently the graveyard and Tom and Huck's Treehouse were removed/blocked off to guests. I don't believe the wheel was there until the Pirates retheme but I could be misremembering.

Sharon&Susan

Interesting thank you! And the Motor Boats sucked. You couldn't even steer them, just press on the gas. It is odd though all this time and they still have not done anything in that area.
Yeah, I'm surprised that they haven't even considered filling in the river (as much as that wouldn't be a great option) and putting more retail over there. Especially when they've completely redone the old Alpines Gardens space two times since the Motorboats closed and God knows how many names that Geppetto shop has had (along with occasionally becoming M&G space).

CaptinEO

My trusted insider source tells me the DCA plot will be Tommorow Land "Enter The World of Tommorowland" The Movie: The Land. This will be a land based off the hit movie Tommorowland with George Clooney.

As for the DL expansion pad... imersion doesn't even begin to cover how amazing this land will be. Lets just say the DEVIL is in the details...

51GAB2jbtjL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited:

celluloid

They should probably make sure that DCA is a profitable destination park after Marvel opens and settles before rushing to anything.

CaptinEO

They should probably make sure that DCA is a profitable destination park after Marvel opens and settles before rushing to anything.
I think they should give up on it ever being a profitable destination park unless they actually bulldoze the place, at the very least the entire pier area needs to be gone.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm trying to find the post that gave the acreage of the DL expansion, but it's interesting to me that if these expansions did happen Disneyland would officially become bigger than the Magic Kingdom (I believe DL is currently around 95 acres while MK is 105 acres).
Here...

Going by the schema (which could radically change), the DL expansion is 18 acres, the DCA expansion is 28.5 acres (not counting BoH).

For comparison, Batuu is 14 acres.

View attachment 542380
And another 20 acres if you just get rid of the road.

Stevek

I guess I don’t mind TSI so much because I can hardly remember what it was like without it. Did they remove stuff to add the Pirate stuff? It was it mostly just additions? I personally don’t care for the Pirate stuff but it doesn’t bother me either. I would prefer classic TSI though. I do like the spinning wheel that brings up the treasure(?) Was that there before or is that “new?” All I can remember from when I was a kid is the swaying bridge. Then I pretty much didn’t go back there for about 25 years.
The Fort is really the big thing that's missing IMO.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Yeah after the initial excitement settled I began to realize I don’t want to see a DL expansion. The risk is not worth the reward. I’ve said for years that the I consider the West side of the park to be pretty much perfect with the exception of Pooh and Tarzans Treehouse. They could declare the West side of the park a museum today and I would be happy. So to alter that part of the park for the likes of Toy Story land, Zootopia land or whatever other single IP lands they can cook up sounds terrible.

Now DCA on the other hand I’m all for it. Literally nothing to lose. The path would come somewhere from Pixar Pier/ Incredicoaster/ Emotional Whirlwind area so nothing too important is being altered and unlike Disneyland, DCA needs an expansion. The thought of going over a bridge to some new lands sounds great. Put whatever single IP lands you want there. Not only is it not Disneyland but it’s not even DCA proper.
I agree with the first part. After seeing what Disney's been doing over the past decade, anyone who thinks this expansion arm of Disneyland isn't going to be a couple of IP lands with possible clones is really fooling themselves. Expanding Disneyland to the west would cheapen the park.

So then if they don't expand Disneyland, but expand DCA (like everyone is claiming is needed), then you can only expand DCA so much. It can't utilize that entire west side...it would be too big. So then you'd have to fill in the northern part of the west side with a hotel or more shops or a redesign of DTD or a DisneyQuest or whatever. If you wanted all of that west side to be theme park, BUT feel expanding DL would be bad, then a third park is more favorable.

Let me tell you the problem with DCA. It's NOT that it needs expanding, but reengineering. Disneyland has more attractions per square foot due to better planning, and (at least when Tomorrowland was in its heyday) better attraction layering.

dca.jpg

The red zone is approx. 40% of the park. How many attractions are in that red zone? Two? Three if you count the Redwood Challange (how many people spend time in there?). Three attractions for 40% of the park? Yikes!

I like Pacific Pier, but that area (plus the winery north of it) has no attractions but is the same size as Fantasyland from the castle to the storybook land and there are 10 attractions there.

Sure, you can argue DL has large areas with few attractions (subs/autopia, Rivers of America, even Galaxy's Edge) but I think DCA is far worse when it comes to attractions per acre.

So okay, they expand DCA west, but given how Disney currently thinks how many additional attractions would we get? Two? Three? Yeah, it's not all about attractions as I love other aspects of the parks, but I still think DCA can expand and grow within its own current confinements before needing to expand west.

All I'm saying is if they do expand DL and DCA west it'd better be friggin' good because I don't want to hear years of complaining if it's not. I already hear enough about GE and AC (or even the lackluster nature of Enchanted Tales of BatB).

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Just curious, why 2030 or 2035?
The LA summer Olympics are 2028. I thought that was the target date.
I think it’s a safe bet that the parks will be free of visible construction or construction walls from, say, 7/1-8/30, 2028.

The idea that Disney is going to open 2 massive expansions in 7 years when it takes them 5 years to build a roller coaster is, well, suspect. I could see them getting a couple lands done, and then stopping and making everything loop pretty, and resuming in September 2028.

George Lucas on a Bench

They removed the cemetery, which was one of the cooler things in the park.

MoonRakerSCM

I'm a bit late to the party (spent Thurs-Sat in Vegas). But has anyone commented on the Disneyland 'shape' including a tail that stretches up to ball (next to 'Existing Office and Parking')? Interesting that they included some placeholder imagery in the potential westward expansion of the parks but simply included this northern parcel as part of the (not to scale) Disneyland shape on their image. Judging by some roads as guides (a tunnel woud be needed to connect from behind Star Wars land to behind ToontTown), that area would nicely line up with a pathway between star wars land and toontown, while allowing a good sized show building or two to back up to the streets to the north and south. This entire area would roughly be 9 acres-

1616980212821.png

Another note of interest is that in the exisiting DCA polygon, they include the piece of land east of Carsland and south of ToT, but do not include the proposed wedge of land that would have expanded Hollywood land into the current (and presumably on the chopping block) eastern entryway to the esplanade.

mickEblu

I agree with the first part. After seeing what Disney's been doing over the past decade, anyone who thinks this expansion arm of Disneyland isn't going to be a couple of IP lands with possible clones is really fooling themselves. Expanding Disneyland to the west would cheapen the park.

So then if they don't expand Disneyland, but expand DCA (like everyone is claiming is needed), then you can only expand DCA so much. It can't utilize that entire west side...it would be too big. So then you'd have to fill in the northern part of the west side with a hotel or more shops or a redesign of DTD or a DisneyQuest or whatever. If you wanted all of that west side to be theme park, BUT feel expanding DL would be bad, then a third park is more favorable.

Let me tell you the problem with DCA. It's NOT that it needs expanding, but reengineering. Disneyland has more attractions per square foot due to better planning, and (at least when Tomorrowland was in its heyday) better attraction layering.

View attachment 543141

The red zone is approx. 40% of the park. How many attractions are in that red zone? Two? Three if you count the Redwood Challange (how many people spend time in there?). Three attractions for 40% of the park? Yikes!

I like Pacific Pier, but that area (plus the winery north of it) has no attractions but is the same size as Fantasyland from the castle to the storybook land and there are 10 attractions there.

Sure, you can argue DL has large areas with few attractions (subs/autopia, Rivers of America, even Galaxy's Edge) but I think DCA is far worse when it comes to attractions per acre.

So okay, they expand DCA west, but given how Disney currently thinks how many additional attractions would we get? Two? Three? Yeah, it's not all about attractions as I love other aspects of the parks, but I still think DCA can expand and grow within its own current confinements before needing to expand west.

All I'm saying is if they do expand DL and DCA west it'd better be friggin' good because I don't want to hear years of complaining if it's not. I already hear enough about GE and AC (or even the lackluster nature of Enchanted Tales of BatB).

That’s a good point on the lack of attractions in a good chunk of the park at DCA. Although that seems to be how they build these days. See Galaxies Edge. So if I’m following, you re saying it makes more sense to build a third park instead of expanding DL and DCA? I just look at that layout and doesn’t say third park to me. Mayyyyybe if they demolished the two hotels which isn’t happening. Otherwise its a small, awkward layout with two existing hotels in the middle. I guess you could argue the expansions would face the same dilemma except one major difference- expectations are much different. A couple expansions across the street can likely only be met with praise by the masses. It will be harder to meet or surpass expectations with a third park. So my vote is for a DCA expansion and whatever the heck they want to do with Toy Story lot they can do. I don’t want a Disneyland expansion. They should focus on Tomorrowland and the areas they can build in Disneyland proper before worrying about Zootopia or Moana land.

Stevek

I'm a bit late to the party (spent Thurs-Sat in Vegas). But has anyone commented on the Disneyland 'shape' including a tail that stretches up to ball (next to 'Existing Office and Parking')? Interesting that they included some placeholder imagery in the potential westward expansion of the parks but simply included this northern parcel as part of the (not to scale) Disneyland shape on their image. Judging by some roads as guides (a tunnel woud be needed to connect from behind Star Wars land to behind ToontTown), that area would nicely line up with a pathway between star wars land and toontown, while allowing a good sized show building or two to back up to the streets to the north and south. This entire area would roughly be 9 acres-

View attachment 543204

Another note of interest is that in the exisiting DCA polygon, they include the piece of land east of Carsland and south of ToT, but do not include the proposed wedge of land that would have expanded Hollywood land into the current (and presumably on the chopping block) eastern entryway to the esplanade.
I believe someone commented on the yellow area above as part of the map Disney shared. Makes sense, I'm assuming Disney has a plan or place to replace that warehouse space where it will still be accessible to the park, especially any parade floats.

Stevek

Haha! After that DF proposal map, I gotta believe STC Management (Gardenwalk owner) is a Disney shell company! I know, I know, nobody else thinks so!
I do wonder if Disney makes a play for Gardenwalk at some point in order to extend this new shopping district to both north and south of Katella. Build a nice pedestrian bridge, easy peasy (barring any pushback from Anaheim)

Stevek

View attachment 543141

I believe there are actually 4 or 5 if you count Redwood Creek Challenge: Racers, Luigi, Mater, Grizzly...but your point is well taken. DCA has the blessing of spacious walkways but has always been lite on attractions...less so than when it opened but still problematic compared to it's big sister across the esplanade.

Nirya

I do wonder if Disney makes a play for Gardenwalk at some point in order to extend this new shopping district to both north and south of Katella. Build a nice pedestrian bridge, easy peasy (barring any pushback from Anaheim)

They've had so many opportunities that I don't think they care all that much. The new owners got it at such a good deal that I think they can afford to hold onto it for awhile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom