News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

fradz

Oh also:

Attachments

• 2 additional zones.JPG
    2 additional zones.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 207

J4546

yeah it does seem like that shows a major expansion coming to galaxies edge. I think they will build a new area with an indoor GotG like coaster, but SW themed. I htink they will also build one in FL DHS where the muppets land is now. these are my predictions and I dont stand behind them.

TP2000

Maybe six months ago a couple posters floated the idea. I'll have to see if I can find them. I even responded and asked if they were serious. They were and laid out that moving the rides to Texas was not as expensive as people though and Disney would make more money long term because of Texas tax incentives.

While not even in the same zip code as that, I will say that a lot of people including yourself were pessimistic about Disney's future investment in Anaheim due to "overbearing California politics." That obviously isn't the case.

The future of Disney in Anaheim looks bright...at least in the way of dollars spent. What actually is built, maybe not so much. Hopefully those are copy and paste placeholders, however I'm pessimistic on that front. WDI was gutted in terms of talent. Clones of already designed attractions feels inevitable.

Ah, okay. You're talking about the types of kids in their mom's basement who pre-Covid thought Disney has secretly bought 5,000 acres for a new resort in Texas (and their cousin knows the realtor who worked on the plan!), and post-Covid now think they're going to pack up Anaheim's Pirates of the Caribbean and the Matterhorn and rebuild them on that property in Texas.

Those types of kids have been on the Internet for decades talking about Texas. And when their school is closed and they can ignore their Zoom lessons, they have nothing else to do but post that kind of stuff again and again.

As for the business woes caused by Sacramento, I don't think anyone thought they'd last forever. And it's surprising how quickly things turn around once the Recall got enough signatures to trigger an election this fall. Oops! 😁

OrlandoRising

I simply read this as "Please zone/rezone the areas we occupy with a basic envelope so that if/when we decide to develop or redevelop we can do so with little hassle." Basically Resort District 2.0 .
That's really the right takeaway here. Long-term zoning changes are the goal here, and there's no time like the present to push them through, considering what the pandemic has done to Anaheim's budget.

But is there evidence that California and Anaheim specifically are actually supportive yet?

This is a local matter, not state. Mayor Harry Sidhu already put out a favorable statement about it, which is not surprising given the financial support Disney lent to his campaign.

The promise of future development by Disney is an easy "yes" vote right now because of Anaheim's current deficit, even if that development will come years from now. But that assumes Disney doesn't overplay its hand and start demanding subsidies and tax credits, or pushing too many proposals that would hurt nearby businesses for Disney's benefit. Councilmembers have a greater independent streak now, and demanding any sort of taxpayer support from a city that's borrowing $200 million to cover pandemic deficits would be controversial.

Darkbeer1

It is Re-Zoning/New Specific Plan, ignore the Shiny stuff!

>>“We’re not announcing anything specific today as part of DisneylandForward,” Lomboy said. “These kinds of projects should give you a flavor of the types of industry-defining integrated experiences and story-rich lands that we want to bring to Anaheim.”<<

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So basically, they don't know what they want to do or if they want to actually do anything, but the city is desperate enough to approve anything right now so better to get a rubber stamp on any possible plans now before things go back to normal and the city starts to change their views on Disney again.
Disney's ultimate goal here is to get the old 1993 Disneyland Resort Specific Plan updated to allow them to put whatever type of zoning they want anywhere on the property without being forced to only build specific things in specific places (hence why they haven't expanded DCA or Disneyland to the west side of Disneyland Dr.). This concept art we are seeing is one possible scenario that updating the DRSP would allow them to do. Even if the city and Disney can mutually agree on an updated DRSP, it doesn't necessarily mean they will expand the parks exactly like they are showing in the concept art. They are just telling the public, "Hey, this could be what we get if Disney and Anaheim can mutually agree on terms for the DRSP."

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It is Re-Zoning/New Specific Plan, ignore the Shiny stuff!

>>“We’re not announcing anything specific today as part of DisneylandForward,” Lomboy said. “These kinds of projects should give you a flavor of the types of industry-defining integrated experiences and story-rich lands that we want to bring to Anaheim.”<<

So what’s the worst case bait and switch here?

DavidNoble

Ah, okay. You're talking about the types of kids in their mom's basement who pre-Covid thought Disney has secretly bought 5,000 acres for a new resort in Texas (and their cousin knows the realtor who worked on the plan!), and post-Covid now think they're going to pack up Anaheim's Pirates of the Caribbean and the Matterhorn and rebuild them on that property in Texas.

Those types of kids have been on the Internet for decades talking about Texas. And when their school is closed and they can ignore their Zoom lessons, they have nothing else to do but post that kind of stuff again and again.

As for the business woes caused by Sacramento, I don't think anyone thought they'd last forever. And it's surprising how quickly things turn around once the Recall got enough signatures to trigger an election this fall. Oops! 😁

Hey, a theme park in Texas would be great. Don't knock it! :p

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So what’s the worst case bait and switch here?
There is no bait and switch here. People are seeing the concept art and not reading anything and assuming this is the plan. It's not. The plan is to rezone the area to let Disney do what they want on their property. I hope they expand the parks, but there's nothing here guaranteeing they will.

DrAlice

If they move that fountain off-center for the new bridge over Disneyland Drive, I can't wait to be a part of the discussion on how New Orleans Square is nothing but a ruined environment of off-center architecture! Let's hope Kim Irvine in a hard hat is also involved.

Should I start the Expansion Bridge Ruins New Orleans Square! thread now, or maybe wait a day or two? o_O

View attachment 542346

My gawd this bothers me on an OCD level.

TRIGGERED AGAIN!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
There is no bait and switch here. People are seeing the concept art and not reading anything and assuming this is the plan. It's not. The plan is to rezone the area to let Disney do what they want on their property. I hope they expand the parks, but there's nothing here guaranteeing they will.
It is if Disney convinces the city to approve based on “hey we’re going to build more theme park” and then they do something else with the land. I understand the specifics dont exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom