Disneyland vs WDW for baby's first trip

steviej

Original Poster
so the Mrs. is expecting our first child!!!!

For those that don't know, we're huge Disney lovers, been over a total of 60 times between the both of us

So we agreed to take our child when it's very little. However, I want to do DL and she wants to do WDW.

To me, I think with an infant/toddler, DL makes more sense. It's smaller, so less rushing around. Not only that, but no humidity in CA. I think just with the humidity alone, we're lucky if we get 2 hours at WDW with the baby before we need to take it back to the room.

Anyone here care to venture an opinion?

correcaminos

Disneyland itself also feels more crowded. The walkways are more narrow. It's not as much of a vacation destination as WDW is because it has less. Not knocking it at all, but it is more intimate in feel and can easily be done in 3 or so days.

We took an infant at 5 months and managed to go through lunch in the parks in May. Then we'd come back for naps and such. We only stayed at Epcot/Monorail resorts with little ones though. Just easier to go back and forth. At DL it is obviously easier to get resort/rooms that are quick back and forths as well.

Personally I'd pick which is easier to get to. We're closer to FL than CA so that makes our choice easy. Otherwise honestly both are great but just different.

Minnie Mum

For those that don't know, we're huge Disney lovers, been over a total of 60 times between the both of us

So we agreed to take our child when it's very little. However, I want to do DL and she wants to do WDW.

To me, I think with an infant/toddler, DL makes more sense. It's smaller, so less rushing around. Not only that, but no humidity in CA. I think just with the humidity alone, we're lucky if we get 2 hours at WDW with the baby before we need to take it back to the room.

Depends on the time of year at WDW. Go in early spring or later in the fall and the temps are much milder, so the humidity isn't really a factor. Doing any park with a baby will be very different than as a pair of adults. They almost force you to slow down. Diaper changes. Feeding times. Naps. The inevitable cranky times. Having to utilize rider swap for rides with height restrictions.

While I really like DLR, to me WDW is a much more relaxing vacation. Not the least because of the amenities at the resorts. And there's really no need to be "rushing around" unless you choose to. It's not that difficult to structure your day to include a more relaxed pace with built in rest periods.

Ginzuishou

I don't see the point of taking a baby or very young child. They most likely won't remember any of it and the whole trip will be "How is the baby doing" "Is the baby happy" crying, etc..etc. etc. and it will drag your fun down. If you want to make some memories, that's cool, just that a baby isn't a scrapbook accessory. I'm being silly. I would just stick with the park that is closest to you and go there.

Chef Mickey

I don't see the point of taking a baby or very young child. They most likely won't remember any of it and the whole trip will be "How is the baby doing" "Is the baby happy" crying, etc..etc. etc. and it will drag your fun down. If you want to make some memories, that's cool, just that a baby isn't a scrapbook accessory. I'm being silly. I would just stick with the park that is closest to you and go there.
Never understood this analysis.

Kids will never remember anything, but you're still going to celebrate their birthdays and do things for them, right?

I went to Disney 3X/yr as a kid and don't remember specific trips, but I'm still glad I went I know I was happy while I was there.

Mickey5150

Disneyland has been set up to cater to small children better than WDW. There are so many more rides for small children and the overall size of the resort makes it much more manageable. Areas like Bug's land in DCA or DL Fantasyland are better than anything WDW has for really small children. WDW is a world and it totally feels that large, DLR is a resort and that size can make all the difference.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
DLR > WDW. For the very reasons you stated yourself. Also, getting from point A to B is much easier done at DLR

correcaminos

The point is not what the baby will remember, but what will you as a family remember. I will not forget the kiss from a princess or trying to eat Mickey's nose. I am not of the mindset that you need to stay home with a baby and just wait for life to happen until they turn 5 because you never know what life will throw at you. I actually went while pregnant once right at the end of the first trimester and am glad I did because I get the joy of saying I took all my children to Disney.

Anyway the OP has been a lot of times so no need to slow down just so they remember. What was seen at 1.5 years old was remembered the next trip. We have a lifetime of memories built up.

Hello- We took our girl for her first birthday (1 day at MK), then at 14 months (1 day at MGM), then at 17 months (1 day at Epcot). She is 18 months now. We live in NJ, but as a FL native, it's easy for us to visit family and pop in. I can't speak to California as I haven't been there, but we received good advice and I'm happy to pass it along-I'm sure it applies to both locations! During our Epcot day, my cousin came too with her 5 month old.

If you can, bring grandparents! They take photos, watch baby during naps, etc. Babies are small, but they seem to require a lot of gear, so the more hands, the better.

We waited until baby was taking one nap a day, so that she would actually be awake for the trip. People complain about 'babies don't remember', but the real challenge could be 'baby sleeps through your FP reservation with Ariel'. Yes, that happened.

We split our FP reservations so that baby never waited in line. Babies don't seem heavy until you have been holding them for 30 minutes and your forgot your Bjorn. Since they don't have a ticket, those 3 reservations for mom and dad can translate to 6 rides for baby. Certainly, I can see how you would want to ride together, but we did this so that baby could meet a lot of princesses/characters. PS she hated them all so it was a waste, but that's another story.

If mommy is not ready to nurse everywhere, make sure baby can handle a bottle and formula. Formula does not have to be refrigerated, making it superior to pumped milk in the park. My cousin was comfortable nursing on all the dark rides, and we booked FP so that the dark rides came every 2.5-3 hours for 'meal time'.

Hopefully this helps. And congratulations to you and your wife!

Princess Kaylee

Disneyland is more baby-friendly. You can walk from California Adventure to Disneyland without having to get on a bus, and the weather is nicer. If you go in mid January you will have perfect weather with very short wait times. Toon town and rides like Mr. Toad's wild ride and Snow White are family friendly. You will probably have a stroller, therefore it seems more realistic to do DL where everything is in walking distance, versus trying to transfer a stroller on and off buses. You will have fun either way!Congrats to your family.

danyoung56

It is possible to have an infant at the park and have a terrific time as a family. It's also possible to put the infant into a stroller and basically forget it, letting it sweat and sunburn and be just generally ignored. I've seen it both ways, and it almost raises up to the level of child abuse. Not cool at all!

JusticeDisney

There is no magic to Disneyland, IMO. It's located right in the middle of a city. You can hear sirens and see power lines from the park. I know that it's the original, but to me it can't even come close to comparing to WDW. And while I know your baby won't know where the heck he or she even is, you and your wife will always remember this trip like no other. So for that reason, I would go to the much more magical WDW.

In any event, whichever you choose, I hope you have the best time. And congrats on the upcoming birth of your first child!

Worldlover71

Where did you and your wife go on your first trips? I would go to which ever park you and your wife went to first so you share that with your child. If one of you went to DL first and the other went to WDW first, go to the one you went to together for first time.

PS: My parents went to DL six weeks before I was born and then brought me when I was two weeks old. I was hooked from the start!

Princess Kaylee

Both are great in different ways. Disneyland will always be my favorite, it was where I went as a child and It has the nostalgia factor. It has many of the same rides as WDW, but in a more condensed space. What's nice about DL is you don't need 5-7 days or a dining plan. You can stay at Quality Inn across the street and walk in everyday. You can leave the parks for lunch and eat at the McDonald's across the street. The weather isn't as humid and if you go during the right times you will experience very low crowds. On the other hand I think you can benefit from WDW because you can easily drive there. Disneyland is just as magical (if not more) as Disney World. You will not hear beeping cars and ambulances.

hanwill

I would suggest WDW. I have taken small children to both, and I would suggest FL- just not in September! Its very stroller friendly (not all of Disneyland's are easy to navigate with a stroller). It may be easier to get to your room, but if you take your own stroller, you may let your little one sleep in the stroller... Its a little quieter at WDW to me. DL feels more big city/faster pace due to the surrounding environment. While it is quaint and charming, I think its much more difficult to fight through it with a stroller... While WDW is huge, it's also set up to really use a stroller throughout the parks and restaurants (we have even taking in a sleeping child in a stroller in one WDW restaurant). There's just not room at DL... Plus the changing areas in WDW are great...

Laura

Premium Member
We moved from SoCal to Florida right before my now 3 year old was born. She's now been to WDW over 20 times starting at 6 weeks old. All I can say is WDW when it's hot BLOWS when you have a little baby. Especially if you are nursing. There's no way to cool down and nursing a baby while you're drenched in sweat and the baby is drenched in sweat is not fun.

If I had my choice I'd pick DL during any of the 9 months of the year when it has perfect, comfortable weather. Even the summer there is doable, but it can get pretty hot. Just not as hot as FL because it's a dry heat. Not having to deal with trams and buses and all that nonsense is a huge bonus.

I also wanted to add - I have never had to "go back to the room" just because I had a baby with me. We live 2 hours away so we don't have a room to go back to. They nap fine in a stroller and there's quiet places in each park you can escape to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom