Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom poll(only those who have been to both)

Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom

• Disneyland

Votes: 290 60.2%
  • Magic Kingdom

Votes: 192 39.8%

• Total voters

bryanfze55

I'd forgotten about this thread! As a native born Floridian who now lives in SoCal, I voted for Disneyland.

What's interesting is that 4+ years later, Disneyland seems to be pulling further ahead with the addition of 3 E Tickets, one already open and two under construction; Millennium Falcon: Target Run already open, with Rise of the Resistance and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway under construction. Magic Kingdom has TRON Coaster under construction.

Very interesting.

Though very recent introspection has made me realize I do prefer Disneyland (enough that I recently changed my December vacation plans from WDW to DL), I have to defend WDW here. WDW is also getting all three of those rides you mentioned; they’re just going to DHS. It would be difficult for MK to have as many attractions as DL considering it shares the resorts’ attractions with three other theme parks.

Also, while not really relevant to the discussion - word on the street is that “Smugglers” Run is not much to write home about. Certainly no E-ticket. But I haven’t ridden it yet and will judge for myself in December.

TP2000

Also, while not really relevant to the discussion - word on the street is that “Smugglers” Run is not much to write home about. Certainly no E-ticket. But I haven’t ridden it yet and will judge for myself in December.

I rode the Millennium Falcon ride three times within about four hours during a late June visit, never waiting more than 15 minutes for each ride. I rate the ride a B+. It's solid, but it pales compared to the other Anaheim E Tickets within a 10 minute walk; Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones Adventure, Radiator Springs Racers, Splash Mountain, etc.

It's important to note that at the other park in Anaheim, the Millennium Falcon sits in a theme park that has 40+ other rides of which a dozen are big E Tickets. And within 100 yards is a second theme park with 20+ rides of which 5 are big E Tickets.

It will be interesting to see what the audience response is to the Millennium Falcon in DHS that only has six other rides to compete with, and yet when the wait time is most definitely more than just 15 minutes.

bryanfze55

I rode the Millennium Falcon ride three times within about four hours during a late June visit, never waiting more than 15 minutes for each ride. I rate the ride a B+. It's solid, but it pales compared to the other Anaheim E Tickets within a 10 minute walk; Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones Adventure, Radiator Springs Racers, Splash Mountain, etc.

It's important to note that at the other park in Anaheim, the Millennium Falcon sits in a theme park that has 40+ other rides of which a dozen are big E Tickets. And within 100 yards is a second theme park with 20+ rides of which 5 are big E Tickets.

It will be interesting to see what the audience response is to the Millennium Falcon in DHS that only has six other rides to compete with, and yet when the wait time is most definitely more than just 15 minutes.

It’s a terrifying prospect on the East coast. The opening of Rise of the Resistance on 12/5 was one reason we decided to forgo our WDW trip. DHS is so under-built. It’s getting better, but even now every ride except Star Tours and Alien Saucers is usually a 90+ minute wait within one hour of park opening. It’s really difficult to have any sort of touring plan there.

I had concerns that Star Wars Land might ruin some of Disneyland’s trademark charm. But I’ve heard it’s sufficiently “out of the way” to the point where it almost feels like you’re entering a new theme park when walking into Star Wars Land. I was happy to hear that.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

I won’t make the argument; but just for arguments’ sake, I came across this some time ago. They do argue that MK is better than Disneyland.

This is a much more accurate depiction (Updated on July 21st, of how they rank with Disneyland being much better than Magic Kingdom.

bryanfze55

This is a much more accurate depiction of how they rank with Disneyland being much better than Magic Kingdom.

I mean, “accurate” is kind of subjective lol. Both are simple blog posts. One man’s word against another.

It’s a fair point that MK has retained some great elements that DL has not, including the PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress, and Country Bear Jamboree. That shouldn’t be discounted. I won’t necessarily comment on which park is more well-themed, as I think they both excel at theming. But I will say DL is a more enjoyable experience than MK for a variety of other reasons, including having the better version of most rides.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

I mean, “accurate” is kind of subjective lol. Both are simple blog posts. One man’s word against another.

It’s a fair point that MK has retained some great elements that DL has not, including the PeopleMover, Carousel of Progress, and Country Bear Jamboree. That shouldn’t be discounted. I won’t necessarily comment on which park is more well-themed, as I think they both excel at theming. But I will say DL is a more enjoyable experience than MK for a variety of other reasons, including having the better version of most rides.
It is more accurate because it was updated more recently, just a few days ago. That blog post was from months ago. It’s fine, though.

Magic Kingdom certainly has some points but I have very rarely found one ranking of the parks where Magic Kingdom is in a higher spot than Disneyland. That’s because Disneyland just is better. Even Disneyland Paris is better than MK.

bryanfze55

It is more accurate because it was updated more recently, just a few days ago. That blog post was from months ago. It’s fine, though.

Magic Kingdom certainly has some points but I have very rarely found one ranking of the parks where Magic Kingdom is in a higher spot than Disneyland. That’s because Disneyland just is better. Even Disneyland Paris is better than MK.

Maybe it is? Idk, I’ve never been to Paris. It’s hard to say without having gone.

One of the points against MK is that it has to share attractions with three other parks. Disneyland only shares attractions with one other park. Thematically, both are fine. If anything, I prefer Disneyland due to its operational superiority. MaxPass > FastPass+. And I also love going during the holidays, and Disneyland is courteous enough to not close its castle park early every other day for a hard ticket event.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Maybe it is? Idk, I’ve never been to Paris. It’s hard to say without having gone.

One of the points against MK is that it has to share attractions with three other parks. Disneyland only shares attractions with one other park. Thematically, both are fine. If anything, I prefer Disneyland due to its operational superiority. MaxPass > FastPass+. And I also love going during the holidays, and Disneyland is courteous enough to not close its castle park early every other day for a hard ticket event.
Oh, it really is better. Almost every attraction in Paris is even better than Disneyland’s versions, however Disneyland still has more rides than DLP and every other Disney park....

Which makes Disneyland so freaking amazing, it packs so many rides than all 3 of the WDW parks (Epcot, HS, AK) combined, despite most of them being much, much bigger! Even California Adventure has more than most!

Maxpass is definitely better than Fastpass+ for sure, correct. MK to me just is such a pain in the butt to experience, with transportation to the park a mess, the park generally has worse versions of the rides from other parks with much longer waits, (DL still has more anyway though!) there are minimal updates and additions, generally inferior maintenance, and shorter hours (closes at 10, every night in the summer?), and more and more upcharges conveniently popping up at the same time.

ThemeParkTraveller

Disneyland easily wins in my book. Not only for its superior attraction roster and entertainment options, but also because it possesses a quaint charm that no other Disney park has. Aesthetically, Disneyland is also the more beautiful park with better designed lands for the most part.

bryanfze55

Oh, it really is better. Almost every attraction in Paris is even better than Disneyland’s versions, however Disneyland still has more rides than DLP and every other Disney park....

Which makes Disneyland so freaking amazing, it packs so many rides than all 3 of the WDW parks (Epcot, HS, AK) combined, despite most of them being much, much bigger! Even California Adventure has more than most!

Maxpass is definitely better than Fastpass+ for sure, correct. MK to me just is such a pain in the butt to experience, with transportation to the park a mess, the park generally has worse versions of the rides from other parks with much longer waits, (DL still has more anyway though!) there are minimal updates and additions, generally inferior maintenance, and shorter hours (closes at 10, every night in the summer?), and more and more upcharges conveniently popping up at the same time.

Yeah, but Paris doesn’t have Splash Mountain. Automatic disqualification.

bryanfze55

Similar argument from me. Love the DLR rides and attractions, but WDW offers me more. Plus a higher quality of the average guests.

Are you insinuating that the average person at WDW is of better character than the average person at DL? Lol.

Maybe I misconstrued that. I think it’s a tough sell that one group is significantly better than the other.

Disney Analyst

As someone who visiting Disneyland twice before ever getting to WDW, and now I’ve been to WDW twice, the first time for 3 months as I worked at MK for a summer on an ICP.. here’s my thoughts.

WDW felt sort of like they took everything you can do between two really close parks, and spread it out amongst 4, very spread out, large parks.

Now don’t get me wrong, I adored my time at WDW, and Orlando in general has much to offer. Cinderella Castle is stunning, I’ll never forget my first time seeing her.

But there’s just something about the design of Disneyland, the smaller size, the density of attractions, the utilization of every space...

I always saw MK as the Walmart version in a way. Bigger. More corporate feeling, gift shops at end of every ride. Still magical, but not quite the same level or feeling as Disneyland.

And then you have the added value of Disneyland. You can just do so much more, for the same price or less, in one day. Add in the more classic fast pass system, Walt’s original park, and boom, winner winner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom