Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom poll(only those who have been to both)

Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom

• Disneyland

Votes: 290 60.2%
  • Magic Kingdom

Votes: 192 39.8%

• Total voters

Animaniac93-98

I think what you were implying is that more attractions = greater theme park. And that’s not the case. I would argue Disney’s best two theme parks in the world are Animal Kingdom and DisneySea, neither of which have a particularly dense lineup of attractions.

Disagree. DisneySea now has 21 rides with 4 more on the way, not including theatre shows or walk throughs. Far more than Animal Kingdom or any other WDW second gate.

It's proof that you can have a large, detailed park with lots of things to do and not one or the other as Disney has implied for years.

bryanfze55

Disagree. DisneySea now has 21 rides with 4 more on the way, not including theatre shows or walk throughs. Far more than Animal Kingdom or any other WDW second gate.

It's proof that you can have a large, detailed park with lots of things to do and not one or the other as Disney has implied for years.

A fair point, which is why DisneySea is probably the best theme park in the world. I was simply comparing two great non-castle parks to the castle parks, which have more total attractions than DisneySea (except maybe Hong Kong? Don’t know enough about it).
My point does remain that lots of rides doesn’t necessarily mean better theme park.

joshjoned

I think what you were implying is that more attractions = greater theme park. And that’s not the case. I would argue Disney’s best two theme parks in the world are Animal Kingdom and DisneySea, neither of which have a particularly dense lineup of attractions.

Not what I implied at all. Also, whether GE belongs in DL or not is irrelevant. It's another addition to the park that gives guests more to do in DL than MK. The fact of the matter is, there's more to do in DL than MK, which does matter. Most people go for attractions. That's why MK is still king in Disney World.

bryanfze55

Not what I implied at all. Also, whether GE belongs in DL or not is irrelevant. It's another addition to the park that gives guests more to do in DL than MK. The fact of the matter is, there's more to do in DL than MK, which does matter. Most people go for attractions. That's why MK is still king in Disney World.

More attractions is definitely a plus for DL. And I have admitted DL is the BETTER overall theme park, putting aside my feelings for SW:GE. Now with that being said, I PREFER both of them. When I go to Disney, I go with my five-year-old daughter. New Fantasyland is her favorite area in the entire WDW resort. She loves Gaston’s Tavern and Be Our Guest, the Belle attraction, the 7DMT, and the Little Mermaid area. And it makes me appreciate it for what it is. No, it isn’t as charming and historical as DL’s Fantasyland. But it is great in its own right. I personally prefer, ever so slightly, Liberty Square over NOS as a themed land, though I love both. These are just two examples. I think all Disney fans should try to appreciate both parks. The militant bias some people have against one or the other is weird.

joshjoned

More attractions is definitely a plus for DL. And I have admitted DL is the BETTER overall theme park, putting aside my feelings for SW:GE. Now with that being said, I PREFER both of them. When I go to Disney, I go with my five-year-old daughter. New Fantasyland is her favorite area in the entire WDW resort. She loves Gaston’s Tavern and Be Our Guest, the Belle attraction, the 7DMT, and the Little Mermaid area. And it makes me appreciate it for what it is. No, it isn’t as charming and historical as DL’s Fantasyland. But it is great in its own right. I personally prefer, ever so slightly, Liberty Square over NOS as a themed land, though I love both. These are just two examples. I think all Disney fans should try to appreciate both parks. The militant bias some people have against one or the other is weird.

Agreed with both bolded parts.

For what it's worth, i prefer EPCOT over both, despite it technically having less to do and being a mess right now. So attractions isn't the most important thing for me either. I just personally can't see an argument for MK objectively being a better theme park than DL because precisely DL has more to do, especially now with GE added. And the reason why i single out MK in that regard is it's the baby brother of DL, making it the most comparable. But I agree that to like one but hate the other makes no sense.

Yert3

Here's my rundown of attraction vs attraction

Astro Orbiter: Magic Kingdom (way up in the air as opposed to being on the ground}

MK/The Barnstormer vs DL/Gadget's Go Coaster: DL/Gadget's Go Coaster (As you can tell by my profile pic, I'm a Rescue Rangers fan)

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: Disneyland (If Disneyland didn't have the explosion special effects, I would give it to Magic Kingdom for having the better queue)

DL/Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters vs MK/Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin: Disneyland (You can pick up the guns in Disneyland and Magic Kingdom's version is filthy and in desperate need of a refurb)

Cinderella Castle vs Sleeping Beauty Castle: Cinderella Castle (duh)

Dumbo the Flying Elephant: Magic Kingdom (double spinners and neat little wait area)

The Hall of Presidents vs Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln: The Hall of Presidents (You get all the presidents instead of just one of them)

The Haunted Mansion: Disneyland (while Magic Kingdom's version is a minute or two longer, I prefer the Plantation House setting, the better stretching room effect due to being in an elevator, and the hatbox ghost.)

it's a small world: Disneyland (Way better presentation)

Jungle Cruise: Magic Kingdom (Due to the temple sequence)

Liberty Square Riverboat vs Mark Twain Riverboat: Magic Kingdom (I have to default to Magic Kingdom, because I can't recall if I've even ever been on the boat at DL)

Mad Tea Party: Magic Kingdom (Due to the roof and the cute Dormouse)

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Magic Kingdom (better set design and you get the bouncing with Tigger part)

Mickey's PhilharMagic: Magic Kingdom (The version at California Adventure is pathetic, although the digital projection does look incredible. Hope it comes to Magic Kingdom's version soon)

Peter Pan's Flight: Disneyland (better sets)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Disneyland (Do I really have to explain?)

Space Mountain: Disneyland (Again, no explanation needed)

Splash Mountain: Magic Kingdom (Better sets, animationics, story telling, music, double-seater logs. Pretty much everything at the Magic Kingdom's version is better than the original)

Swiss Family Treehouse vs Tarzan's Treehouse: Magic Kingdom

Tomorrowland Speedway vs Autopia: Disneyland (cooler cars and you're in the shade)

Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid vs The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure: Tie (the two rides are identical)

Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room: Disneyland (You get the fountain and it's not as edited)

Walt Disney World Railroad vs Disneyland Railroad: Disneyland (You get the incredible Primeval World Diorama)

bryanfze55

Here's my rundown of attraction vs attraction

Astro Orbiter: Magic Kingdom (way up in the air as opposed to being on the ground}

MK/The Barnstormer vs DL/Gadget's Go Coaster: DL/Gadget's Go Coaster (As you can tell by my profile pic, I'm a Rescue Rangers fan)

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: Disneyland (If Disneyland didn't have the explosion special effects, I would give it to Magic Kingdom for having the better queue)

DL/Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters vs MK/Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin: Disneyland (You can pick up the guns in Disneyland and Magic Kingdom's version is filthy and in desperate need of a refurb)

Cinderella Castle vs Sleeping Beauty Castle: Cinderella Castle (duh)

Dumbo the Flying Elephant: Magic Kingdom (double spinners and neat little wait area)

The Hall of Presidents vs Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln: The Hall of Presidents (You get all the presidents instead of just one of them)

The Haunted Mansion: Disneyland (while Magic Kingdom's version is a minute or two longer, I prefer the Plantation House setting, the better stretching room effect due to being in an elevator, and the hatbox ghost.)

it's a small world: Disneyland (Way better presentation)

Jungle Cruise: Magic Kingdom (Due to the temple sequence)

Liberty Square Riverboat vs Mark Twain Riverboat: Magic Kingdom (I have to default to Magic Kingdom, because I can't recall if I've even ever been on the boat at DL)

Mad Tea Party: Magic Kingdom (Due to the roof and the cute Dormouse)

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Magic Kingdom (better set design and you get the bouncing with Tigger part)

Mickey's PhilharMagic: Magic Kingdom (The version at California Adventure is pathetic, although the digital projection does look incredible. Hope it comes to Magic Kingdom's version soon)

Peter Pan's Flight: Disneyland (better sets)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Disneyland (Do I really have to explain?)

Space Mountain: Disneyland (Again, no explanation needed)

Splash Mountain: Magic Kingdom (Better sets, animationics, story telling, music, double-seater logs. Pretty much everything at the Magic Kingdom's version is better than the original)

Swiss Family Treehouse vs Tarzan's Treehouse: Magic Kingdom

Tomorrowland Speedway vs Autopia: Disneyland (cooler cars and you're in the shade)

Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid vs The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure: Tie (the two rides are identical)

Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room: Disneyland (You get the fountain and it's not as edited)

Walt Disney World Railroad vs Disneyland Railroad: Disneyland (You get the incredible Primeval World Diorama)

This is a very unbiased look at the parks. I agree with almost all of them except Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid. Haunted Mansion is just personal preference. It’s an equally great ride in both parks. The queue and setting makes the WDW version of Little Mermaid better.

Also, if I remember correctly, I think the Mark Twain Riverboat plays soft music during the ride while the Liberty Belle does not... I love the music during that ride. So that makes the Mark Twain better for me.

PiratesMansion

Disneyland.
1) More attractions
2) Most of the attractions are better than the MK versions, and you can experience them with...
3) MUCH less planning and preparation!
4) And roughly half the wait for many of the rides!
5) More relaxed crowd (the "gotta catch'em all! We spent so much money to get here and we're gonna do everything even if it kills us" mindset is basically nonexistent).
6) Longer park hours
7) Better weather
8) MUCH better quick service and snacks
9) More ambient entertainment
10) Charm. Buckets of it.
11) MaxPass >>>> FastPass+
12) Walk up to where I want to eat, when I want to eat vs. 180 day in advance reservations for Table service

Whereas MK has...wider walkways?

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I think it is ridiculous that there is ever lines drawn in the sand over this. I've seen it here, people who are WDW lifers that won't take one year off and go to Disneyland. I've also talked to a few who are Disneyland locals that don't want to visit WDW until they see that they have cleaned it up better. Meanwhile...........they have never been there and seen the beauty or grandness of it to judge themselves.

It is crazy. Do both. Honestly, there are enough people on here who have gone to both as well that can back me up on this. You are missing out big time if you don't experience both of them. What do people complain about on here? How Magic Kingdom has lost some of their dark rides. Disneyland has them! Snow White, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland are all there and they are Fantasyland dark rides MK doesn't have anymore, or in some cases never did. You can ride Casey Jr. at Disneyland. Or the Matterhorn, or Indy. Or have a longer Pirates ride and one of the last things Walt ever approved before he died.

MK has the Carousel of Progress and obviously Hall of Presidents is done on a more grand scale than Mr. Lincoln. Country Bear Jamboree is still there and a better version of Splash Mountain. A bigger castle and more space and if you don't like that, then go to the other three parks or explore the resorts. Take a boat ride from Disney Springs to one of the resorts. Heck, stay on the boat all day if you want, it's free. Go visit Epcot, there is not another place like that in the entire world, very unique.

That's the beauty of it, both parks and resorts have something the other doesn't. I'll take Disneyland as the best individual park because it is the original and still has a standard no others have. It is hard to beat. But please, don't turn your nose up at the other side of the coast because you are missing out.

joshjoned

I think it is ridiculous that there is ever lines drawn in the sand over this. I've seen it here, people who are WDW lifers that won't take one year off and go to Disneyland. I've also talked to a few who are Disneyland locals that don't want to visit WDW until they see that they have cleaned it up better. Meanwhile...........they have never been there and seen the beauty or grandness of it to judge themselves.

It is crazy. Do both. Honestly, there are enough people on here who have gone to both as well that can back me up on this. You are missing out big time if you don't experience both of them. What do people complain about on here? How Magic Kingdom has lost some of their dark rides. Disneyland has them! Snow White, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland are all there and they are Fantasyland dark rides MK doesn't have anymore, or in some cases never did. You can ride Casey Jr. at Disneyland. Or the Matterhorn, or Indy. Or have a longer Pirates ride and one of the last things Walt ever approved before he died.

MK has the Carousel of Progress and obviously Hall of Presidents is done on a more grand scale than Mr. Lincoln. Country Bear Jamboree is still there and a better version of Splash Mountain. A bigger castle and more space and if you don't like that, then go to the other three parks or explore the resorts. Take a boat ride from Disney Springs to one of the resorts. Heck, stay on the boat all day if you want, it's free. Go visit Epcot, there is not another place like that in the entire world, very unique.

That's the beauty of it, both parks and resorts have something the other doesn't. I'll take Disneyland as the best individual park because it is the original and still has a standard no others have. It is hard to beat. But please, don't turn your nose up at the other side of the coast because you are missing out.

I agree with this post to a certain extent, however just comparing the parks individually and not the entire resorts, I don't see an objective argument for MK being better than DL. If it's a personal preference? That's fine, but objectively I haven't seen one argument yet in favor of MK that doesn't include stuff like "The Castle is bigger!". Sorry, but a castle being bigger doesn't make MK a better theme park in any way shape or form. The Castle is cool and everything, but people aren't paying money for a bigger castle.

disneyfireman

I love MK. Love it! However. DL is better by a huge margin. It’s Disney’s best park. Period.
Frankly. It’s Damn perfect.
Splash Mountain..MK is better. I will say that. Possibly Big Thunder.
But overall, DL just is a perfect theme park. Again, not saying i dont love MK, I do! But...DL is tops. Not really a debatable topic.

Last edited:

disneyfireman

I just got back from Disneyland and I was shocked at how low the wait times are there. We got on every single ride + all the rides in California Adventure in one day.

Things better at Disneyland:
-Pirates
-It's a small world
-Space Mountain
-Big Thunder

Things worse:
-Haunted Mansion
-Splash Mountain
Agreed 110% HM and Splash much better at WDW but that's about it.

N2dru

I just got back from Disneyland and I was shocked at how low the wait times are there. We got on every single ride + all the rides in California Adventure in one day.

Things better at Disneyland:
-Pirates
-It's a small world
-Space Mountain
-Big Thunder

Things worse:
-Haunted Mansion
-Splash Mountain

Add Winnie the Pooh to the worse list...its better in Florida

QuasiNoFroyo

Better at Disneyland:
  1. the railroad
  2. The Enchanted Tiki Room
  3. the treehouse (Tarzan is an awesome movie!)
  4. Pirates of the Caribbean
  5. The Haunted Mansion (Because it has the Hatbox Ghost, more properly-working effects at the moment, and much better Hitchhiking Ghosts. The only thing that is truly better about WDW's version is the duration.)
  6. the riverboats (more options)
  7. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  8. It's a Small World
  9. Space Mountain
  10. the speedway (It actually has theming and decent-looking cars! Even if they do eventually need to go electric one day.)

Better at the Magic Kingdom:
  1. the castle
  2. The Jungle Cruise
  3. Tom Sawyer Island (more to do)
  4. Splash Mountain
  5. Winnie the Pooh
  6. Peter Pan's Flight (It's longer, has a better-looking London and Neverland, and has the superior queue. Though the California version has a much better soundtrack.)
  7. Dumbo the Flying Elephant (double capacity)
  8. Astro Orbiter (Not a huge fan of either version but this one has the slight edge because it's higher up and therefore provides better views.)

Also, the rides that are exclusive to Disneyland (especially Indiana Jones Adventure) are generally better than those that are exclusive to the Magic Kingdom. However, the Main Street trolley cars, the carousels, the teacups, and the Buzz Lightyear rides seem to be roughly equal to each other at both parks.

So overall, Disneyland wins!

Joesixtoe

It's simply an unfair comparison. Disneyland has DCA to split the rides with, while Magic Kingdom has Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom to split the rides with. Meaning Disneyland has to have more rides implemented into the park cause there is only so much room to do so.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I agree with this post to a certain extent, however just comparing the parks individually and not the entire resorts, I don't see an objective argument for MK being better than DL. If it's a personal preference? That's fine, but objectively I haven't seen one argument yet in favor of MK that doesn't include stuff like "The Castle is bigger!". Sorry, but a castle being bigger doesn't make MK a better theme park in any way shape or form. The Castle is cool and everything, but people aren't paying money for a bigger castle.

I think from a park to park standpoint Disneyland still beats Magic Kingdom and I say that as a WDW veteran. The resort overall goes to WDW, I don't think that is much of an argument, it is just too grand.

A family member came with us to WDW last year. He was a Disneyland veteran and had never been to WDW. He felt MK was just as good as Disneyland. I don't know, just his preference, he liked the added shows like Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, etc. and he loved seeing some of the old stuff he hadn't seen in a long time from Disneyland like Country Bear Jamboree or the Peoplemover. So he felt it was a wash. I thought it was an interesting perspective.

But the fact that even on a WDW board Disneyland has a 60/40 ratio over Magic Kingdom says a lot I think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom