Disneyland, Universal and other California theme parks can reopen April 1 - OCR/SCNG

ToTBellHop

"Tiers will never be completed. They will continue to grow as long as there is science and data left in the world!" -- Gavin Newsom

;)
Tiers have been around far longer.
1615152836911.jpeg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I have to say I despise Tom Hanks as Walt Disney. I know he originally didn't want to do the role out of respect for Walt, but I wish he kept true to his initial reaction.
At least they got someone in the family to play him, Tom Hanks is a distant cousin of Walt.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I thought green tier is less cases?
Green tier is when the restrictions and tier system is no longer needed because enough people have been vaccinated. As stated earlier this week:

"“Our goal is to get to the day when the Blueprint is no longer needed,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said. “As more people are vaccinated and more vaccines are available, especially in our most impacted communities, we can envision a day when California can enter the ‘green tier’ – in which strict public health measures will no longer be needed,” continued Governor Newsom.”"

So this idea that there isn't a "Green tier" is completely false.

Figments Friend

I have a hard time believing that by booking one of the DLR resort hotels, it is going to 'guarantee' you a reservation day / reserved entrance spot at Disneyland Park as some are hypothesizing.
Folks had assumed that would be the case before when that 'other' Magic Kingdom in Florida opened, and yet Resort Guests staying on property were on their own to snag a Park reservation day.
There was absolutely NO guarentee and you were on your own to reserve your spot seperately.

Now of course, I realize WDW and Disneyland are two completely different beasts and operate very differently.
But I still have a hard time believing it would be a automatic 'perk' for those willing to pony up the extra cash to room at one of the Disney owned hotel digs at DLR.

But then again....this is the 'Disney' of 2021.
Absolutely nothing should surprise even the most casual observer at this point.
Anything is possible.

-

TP2000

I actually shared an internal TDA e-mail in this thread...

>>We (Disney) are working with the administration over the next few weeks to finalize the theme park guidance. According to the state, theme parks may not open until April 1.<<

That's what I feared. The Refreshed rules and detailed instructions for theme parks don't exist yet. They are a work in progress.

Which is why Newsom's Friday press conference had no concrete information and just a few new vague bullet points on one single slide from a 6 page PDF document.

For some reason, Sacramento is in a rush to get the word out that they are doing something, even if they don't know exactly what they're doing yet. But they're doing it! Your tax dollars at work!

Funny how a Recall Election lights a few fires under some folks, isn't it? :cool:

TP2000

I have a hard time believing that by booking one of the DLR resort hotels, it is going to 'guarantee' you a reservation day / reserved entrance spot at Disneyland Park as some are hypothesizing.
Folks had assumed that would be the case before when that 'other' Magic Kingdom in Florida opened, and yet Resort Guests staying on property were on their own to snag a Park reservation day.
There was absolutely NO guarentee and you were on your own to reserve your spot seperately.

Now of course, I realize WDW and Disneyland are two completely different beasts and operate very differently.
But I still have a hard time believing it would be a automatic 'perk' for those willing to pony up the extra cash to room at one of the Disney owned hotel digs at DLR.

Anything is possible.

-

I don't know, I think the numbers actually work in their favor for that at Disneyland.

Previously in 2020, TDA already stated publicly that the Disneyland Hotel would remain closed when the parks reopen. And word from CM's is that basically everyone at the Paradise Pier Hotel was also laid off. TDA really seems to be focusing solely on getting the Grand Californian reopened for the parks return, and it makes sense; higher room rates, DVC component to satisfy time share contracts, smaller footprint to manage, etc.

The Grand only has 900 rooms. If the hotel is sold out and an average of 2 people are staying in each room, that's only 1,800 potential theme park guests to worry about hosting each day. Even at 15% occupancy in the Red Tier, it's very doable. And it makes more money for Disney and helps them bring the entire Resort back online in phases.

All that said, I don't think Disneyland Resort is going to be able to reopen until OC reaches the Orange or Yellow Tiers anyway. The logistics on restarting both theme parks alone are massive and will take many weeks, perhaps months. I don't think it's something we'll need to worry about anytime soon, quite frankly. :(

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
That's what I feared. The Refreshed rules and detailed instructions for theme parks don't exist yet. They are a work in progress.

Which is why Newsom's Friday press conference had no concrete information and just a few new vague bullet points on one single slide from a 6 page PDF document.

For some reason, Sacramento is in a rush to get the word out that they are doing something, even if they don't know exactly what they're doing yet. But they're doing it! Your tax dollars at work!

Funny how a Recall Election lights a few fires under some folks, isn't it? :cool:
FYI, The State of the State speech is Tuesday at 6 PM. Wonder if Dee Dee has finished it.

ToTBellHop

Anything is possible.

-
A more apt comparison is Universal Orlando, due to its size. They do guarantee park entry for hotel guests.

And no one is staying at a WDW resort hotel and not getting a park reservation. They prioritize WDW resort guests over everyone else, even APs. Check the park availability calendar for non-resort guests or APs. Then check it for resort guests and watch all of the extra parks and dates appear. They reserve many spots for resort guests, because they know this: they CANNOT allow someone to book a Disney resort hotel and have no park to attend.

So if there is any risk of parks being filled to capacity, they will absolutely reserve spots for hotel guests. I can’t actually think of a single park that isn’t doing that. Even Hershey Park makes sure you’ll get in.

As an example, a mere mortal can’t go to MK this Wednesday. It’s “full”. But if you have a resort stay booked, you can.

Figments Friend

A more apt comparison is Universal Orlando, due to its size. They do guarantee park entry for hotel guests.

And no one is staying at a WDW resort hotel and not getting a park reservation. They prioritize WDW resort guests over everyone else, even APs. Check the park availability calendar for non-resort guests or APs. Then check it for resort guests and watch all of the extra parks and dates appear. They reserve many spots for resort guests, because they know this: they CANNOT allow someone to book a Disney resort hotel and have no park to attend.

So if there is any risk of parks being filled to capacity, they will absolutely reserve spots for hotel guests. I can’t actually think of a single park that isn’t doing that. Even Hershey Park makes sure you’ll get in.

As an example, a mere mortal can’t go to MK this Wednesday. It’s “full”. But if you have a resort stay booked, you can.

The exception being October 1st, 2021.
I have a room booked at a WDW Resort and cannot reserve a spot at MK as a hotel Guest.

:(

-

ToTBellHop

I don't know, I think the numbers actually work in their favor for that at Disneyland.

Previously in 2020, TDA already stated publicly that the Disneyland Hotel would remain closed when the parks reopen. And word from CM's is that basically everyone at the Paradise Pier Hotel was also laid off. TDA really seems to be focusing solely on getting the Grand Californian reopened for the parks return, and it makes sense; higher room rates, DVC component to satisfy time share contracts, smaller footprint to manage, etc.

The Grand only has 900 rooms. If the hotel is sold out and an average of 2 people are staying in each room, that's only 1,800 potential theme park guests to worry about hosting each day. Even at 15% occupancy in the Red Tier, it's very doable. And it makes more money for Disney and helps them bring the entire Resort back online in phases.

All that said, I don't think Disneyland Resort is going to be able to reopen until OC reaches the Orange or Yellow Tiers anyway. The logistics on restarting both theme parks alone are massive and will take many weeks, perhaps months. I don't think it's something we'll need to worry about anytime soon, quite frankly. :(
It’s certainly unlikely to reopen in April, anyway. We must not forget that “due to the popularity of“ the event, Disney is promising to Touch you for $75 through 4/19. If they are smart, they’ll fill out the balance of April with “A Touch of Disney+“ and include Pixar Pier rides for $100. People are (clearly) desperate to be Touched after a year of COVID-19 not allowing it. All I can do right now is load up YouTube if I want to Touch myself. Even the IncrediCoaster brings me to tears.

SuddenStorm

It’s certainly unlikely to reopen in April, anyway. We must not forget that “due to the popularity of“ the event, Disney is promising to Touch you for $75 through 4/19. If they are smart, they’ll fill out the balance of April with “A Touch of Disney+“ and include Pixar Pier rides for $100. People are (clearly) desperate to be Touched after a year of COVID-19 not allowing it. All I can do right now is load up YouTube if I want to Touch myself. Even the IncrediCoaster brings me to tears.

This comment makes me a little uncomfortable. How many times am I being touched, either by Disney or myself?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom