Disneyland Trip Report August 24-25th: To the Edge of the Galaxy

Surferboy567

Original Poster
This is my first trip report I’ve ever written depending on how this is received I may do more for my future trips that being said let’s start with some general info about myself

I’ve been going to WDW since I was 6 months old. Been their probably 20+ times. I’ve been to DL once five years ago. My party consisted of 5 people (all family). This was also my first time heavily using the playDisney app. This is an extremely long post and is as detailed as I can remember. I’m currently still on vacation so I’ll try to get the next day out when I can. I’ll also post my merch haul at the conclusion of the trip. With that being said let’s start from the beginning:

DAY 1: Arrival and Disneyland

This Disneyland trip was tacked on to our larger California trip (still ongoing right now). So we departed from our hotel and make the trek to the Disneyland hotel (45 minute ride). We then made it to the resort and had a super quick check in process. We were in the adventure tower. Then started to walk down to Disneyland, couple observations here was super impressed the way they handle security vs wdw. Anyways we finally made it to the main gates and we got our first taste of the Disneyland fast pass system...paper tickets. I haven’t dealt with paper tickets in a while, so it was kind of nostalgic to see them again. After that we made a B-Line for galaxy’s edge. One of my traveling party members was my grandpa so we had to get a DOS and then used it on smugglers run. On our trek over to galaxy’s edge we noticed pirates had a 5 minute wait so we hustled over on to pirates and my family rode the Disneyland version of pirates for the first time. I myself rode it once five years ago. It really doesn’t disappoint what a better ride experience then the world version. After that we are still heading down to galaxy’s edge via critter country, and noticed something splash mountain had a 5 minute wait. So as a party we decided we would take the plunge. Now historically I’m terrified of such rides with a drop. In all my years going to Disney World I’ve never once rode splash mountain. I’ve listened to the music, know the source material just been too scared to actually take that log down into the briar patch. Well today was the day we were finally going to do it, it was both myself and my brother first time on splash mountain. We both loved the ride and made me think I haven’t been going on that ride for the past 20+ years because I was so scared. I do have to say dispite not experiencing it and only listening to the music I prefer Disney world’s soundtrack. Another observation the second drop in the dark absoulely drenches everyone in the first two rows, really caught me off guard. Anyways...with that out of the way it was time for Galaxy’s Edge. For reference, when they announced this land I’ve been saving to ensure I’d be able to go to the WDW Version of the land a trip I will be taking in January. I was lucky to be in the California area and got to experience Batuu a little early.Now this is coming from someone who is a huge Star Wars fan and really likes the idea of a fully encompassing area doesn’t mind to “go with it” and kinda larp around the land. I found Batuu, to be one of my favorite lands I’ve ever experienced. Before I keep giving it praise their is one criticism I have this land NEEDS Rise of the resistance to reach its fullest potential and that is very apparent when you are in the land. This however will be rectified soon so I cannot count it against the land. Upon walking in I headed to resistance supply and picked up spira, the local currency for future use (more on that later. The first stop was smugglers run as we had the DOS for it. I was pilot alongside my grandpa, and the rest of my family were gunners and engineers (bar one single ride in our cockpit). It’s worth noting that they didn’t explain it really well...and didn’t realize how to properly control the falcon until well into the mission. Once you do get the hang of it, it’s probably one of the most “fun” rides I’ve done. “Fun” doesn’t equal thrilling or best it offered a different kind of thrill, the want to do well on the ride was the best part of it. We did however complete the what I like to call “bonus” section where you have to line up behind the train the second time for the second colaxium. If I remember right we got around 78,000 credits (with Hondo’s cut taken out). My entire party loved it including family members who historically don’t do any form of “thrilling” rides. After the falcon, we made our way around the outpost. The first stop was Dok Ondar’s were I proceeded to buy a Sith & Jedi Holocron along with red, purple, white, and yellow kyber crystals (more about that later). I also meant a YouTuber I watch in there so that was cool as well. After that the party was getting hungry and we headed over to rondo roasters and got their signature ronto wrap. I personally have allergies to pork (more on that later) however my brother loved the wrap. Another thing 5 years ago Disneyland wasn’t the best place to go with allergies they really didn’t help that much when it came to the allergies as opposed to Disney world however, this goes for every eatery we went to they were incredible with the allergies the chef’s came out and really helped us. After the ronto wrap we then wanted to try the Blue and Green milk. Green to me tastes like a plant (I know it’s a weird thing to say but personally that’s what I thought of.) The Blue milk kinda tasted like flavored medicine (not the bad kind but that’s all I thought of). It’s really a subjective thing others in party seemed to enjoy it very much. I then went inside the Droid Depot looked around and wanted to take it all in. Since I’m going to WDW in January I will be building a droid then. The party then proceeded to leave galaxy’s edge as we had a Savi’s reservation at 2:45. So we wanted to save for the rest of the land when we did the saber experience. We then stopped at hungry bear after taking to the chef I had a burger since I had not eaten anything and I enjoyed it. After that we headed down to the wildest ride in the wilderness and did disneyland’s big thunder mountain (with working effects). Was a fun time and I really enjoyed it. After that we took the trail down to fantasyland, but pretty much didn’t do a single ride there, I wanted to but we were on limited time and wanted to hit everything. We then came to the base of the Matterhorn, unfortunately this is a ride I never got to do it consistently held a 90 minute wait time and we just didn’t have the time for it. I did however ride it 5 years ago and enjoyed it. We worked our way over to Tomorrowland and did the Nemo subs. I really enjoyed the underwater volcano scene. We then did hyperspace mountain. Space mountain was a similar thing to splash mountain. I’ve ridden it in WDW before but it was a while ago. Never experienced it in Disneyland. I treated it as my first time on the ride. As a huge fan of Star Wars, I really liked hyperspace mountain. Also the speakers in the headrest was AWESOME. Probably some of the coolest effects. By now, your noticing a lot of firsts first time on Splash, Falcon and (kinda) space. Of course along the way I was using playDisney (treated it as a trial run for the Disney world trip) and I really enjoyed earning achievements...when it worked. Sometimes the app would award me the achievements sometimes it wouldn’t so I had to “force” it to give it to me. After hyperspace, went over to star tours and headed to Jakku and Crait before ending in galaxy’s edge which was awesome and perfect timing because it was time to make the trek over to the edge of the galaxy to construct a lightsaber. We arrived at Savi’s a little early and were ushered in we had two builders one elemental one protection and defense. It was about 3/4 of the way full so it felt intimate, I really enjoyed the experience I do think sometimes the gatherers take it too seriously though, but for a Star Wars fan it was awesome. I also noticed savi’s sabers felt extremely heavy in relation to the legacy Luke return of the Jedi saber I held. This may be a good time to talk about the stock of merch I already mentioned what I got but their were a couple of things I wanted that weren’t in stock Jedi temple guard saber, Ashoka sabers, and sabacc were unfortunately not in stock. The plan was to get half the merch in Disneyland and half in Disney world to help pack easier hence why I didn’t build a droid. After the saber experience we went to first order cargo to ship both our savi’s sabers home and we did so for only 35 dollars which I didn’t think was that bad. After this the party split, I stayed and wanted to do some other things around Disneyland while everyone else went back to the hotel room as they wanted to relax and the room was recently ready. I then did smugglers run single rider the wait wasn’t that bad but I was disappointed not to run into Hondo. I liked seeing him anyways when we got to the falcon...I had a very let’s say exotic group. Now I’m an English speaker and I don’t think anyone in my single rider grouper knew how to speak English. Also the daughter of this group was being a typical teen with headphones in not doing her job as the gunner. I was an engineer which I found to be a fun role. Of course though we failed the “bonus round“ of the mission and since our gunner didn’t fire the missels early we didn’t get the cool “hyperdrive leak” space battle. Still a fun ride but your experience varies differently when you are with different people. After exploring black spire outpost more I decided to hit the haunted mansion. Since this was the weekend of D23 I guess everyone was a huge mansion fan and during the stretching room everyone recited the entire ghost host speil and that was fun. After this I rode Pooh and then headed back to the hotel. The entire group then headed back out to begin the second part of the first day designed to see World of Color. We headed out to California Adventure and made a B-Line for Cars Land and went immediately to Flo’s and I got the turkey after talking to the chef I enjoyed that as well. We then got a DOS for radiator springs and that is one of the best rides Disney has to offer. After that we took our spots for World of Color (went 45 mins) early and it was my grandpa’s first time seeing that. After that the party went back to the hotel...to begin the second day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom