Rumor Disneyland Tomorrowland Future - What to do?

We all know that Disney will have to do something with Tomorrowland soon, what do you want to see?

• Demo it and start over with a new theme.

• Demo it and start over with same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain and keep same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain but retheme the land.

• Remove only certain attractions but keep the same theme.

• Remove only certain attractions but retheme the land.

• Go retro and bring back '67 Tomorrowland.

• Don't touch Tomorrowland at all, leave everything the way it is, its my favorite land!

Results are only viewable after voting.

britain

That makes me believe the contrary or at face value that he just doesn’t want to confirm. Why would he acknowledge Tron plans for DL but not want to mention it was a clone if that was the case?

In the context of the discussion over at the MK Tron board, Martin was reiterating that he has only heard that another Tron coaster was going to DL, and that he has not heard of any other Tron attraction for DL. (Previously he's tended to say 'pass' just when he doesn't want to be bothered to go into something he feels is obvious, not as a way of evading an answer.)

mickEblu

As I see it, there are 2 TRON rumors for DL's TL.
One is a direct clone of lightcycles and the other is something different.
The AP person quoted suggested it would be different than Lightcycle.
When I asked Martin if that were true, he answered with "pass". Maybe he's only heard that "TRON" will come to TL, not what it would be like.

Right so I’m not seeing any contradiction until Martin says it’s a clone - which I just don’t see how that could work with DLs constraints unless they made it significantly smaller Which would impact the ride quality. A small show building in the Subs area partially underground for launch and beginning and ending show scenes makes sense. Then the bulk of the ride could be weaving through TL. It also goes with the Micechat rumor saying you could see a portion of Track from the hub.

mickEblu

In the context of the discussion over at the MK Tron board, Martin was reiterating that he has only heard that another Tron coaster was going to DL, and that he has not heard of any other Tron attraction for DL. (Previously he's tended to say 'pass' just when he doesn't want to be bothered to go into something he feels is obvious, not as a way of evading an answer.)

Oh ok gotcha. That’s a much different story from the post I read.

Mac Tonight

Right so I’m not seeing any contradiction until Martin says it’s a clone - which I just don’t see how that could work with DLs constraints unless they made it significantly smaller Which would impact the ride quality. A small show building in the Subs area partially underground for launch and beginning and ending show scenes makes sense. Then the bulk of the ride could be weaving through TL. It also goes with the Micechat rumor saying you could see a portion of Track from the hub.
And I guess I took his "pass" comment as not confirming it would be a different attraction than Lightcycles (the stated rumor). I feel like his hints are more clear than that.

britain

I'm not aware of anyone — Martin, Fab, Dusty, anybody who is saying that they're hearing the Tron Lightcycles are coming to DL — nobody is saying that it would be an exact copy of what's in Shanghai (and what's going into WDW). If, at anytime, these people say "Tron coaster clone" they are meaning the IP, the styling, the name, the plot, the vehicle, etc. Just like you might say Pirates of the Caribbean has been cloned around the world — even though every Pirates ride has some very unique adjustments and changes made for each park it's in.

Reading between the lines on all these rumors makes it seem that there is a desire to rip out the last remnants of Peoplemover/Rocket Rods, but to restore the kinetic movement they used to provide throughout Tomorrowland. And that's exciting to me!

mickEblu

I'm not aware of anyone — Martin, Fab, Dusty, anybody who is saying that they're hearing the Tron Lightcycles are coming to DL — nobody is saying that it would be an exact copy of what's in Shanghai (and what's going into WDW). If, at anytime, these people say "Tron coaster clone" they are meaning the IP, the styling, the name, the plot, the vehicle, etc. Just like you might say Pirates of the Caribbean has been cloned around the world — even though every Pirates ride has some very unique adjustments and changes made for each park it's in.

Reading between the lines on all these rumors makes it seem that there is a desire to rip out the last remnants of Peoplemover/Rocket Rods, but to restore the kinetic movement they used to provide throughout Tomorrowland. And that's exciting to me!

I understand it not being an exact clone even if it’s a clone. The issue here is that the show building would need to be inside the berm and that this type of attraction needs a big enough show building to provide the kind of ride experience they re going for. Otherwise it would just be Space Mountain with neon lights.

Maybe they accomplish this by saying “the hell with sightlines/ scale and what this looks like next to the Matterhorn?

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

You're right and I apologize. I guess an assumption was made with the mentioning of the IP. I just got tired of reading the MK thread and people complaining that WDW should get unique attractions (assuming we in DL were also getting Lightcycle). No one ever mentioned it being any other than Lightcycles until recently in this thread.

Give me that kinetic energy!

britain

You're right and I apologize. I guess an assumption was made with the mentioning of the IP. I just got tired of reading the MK thread and people complaining that WDW should get unique attractions (assuming we in DL were also getting Lightcycle). No one ever mentioned it being any other than Lightcycles until recently in this thread.

Give me that kinetic energy!

No worries, all good!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm pretty sure the Avengers coaster wasn't a copy of those either.

The original Avengers/Capt America coaster for DCA got scraped due to low capacity as indicated by the nice neighbor lady (good inside info) of our good friend @TP2000. So at this point for Marvel Phase 2 at DCA it'll likely be a clone of the higher capacity coasters Tron or GotG (if its a coaster at all) just themed to Avengers.

wityblack

The original Avengers/Capt America coaster for DCA got scraped due to low capacity as indicated by the nice neighbor lady (good inside info) of our good friend @TP2000. So at this point for Marvel Phase 2 at DCA it'll likely be a clone of the higher capacity coasters Tron or GotG (if its a coaster at all) just themed to Avengers.
That's incredibly disappointing, if the case. Marvel Land is already gonna be weak in phase one, so they really need to bring something incredible to phase two to do justice to such a big franchise. And this again means it'll be shoehorned into the theming.

I was thinking, Tron Lightcycles stylistically seems to be generic and appealing enough to stand the test of time and continue to be a thematically fitting ride even when the IP is forgotten. Sort of like Splash Mountain. That said, Tomorrowland needs to be cohesive, so hopefully they will come with a couple original ideas that will fit perfectly.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
That's incredibly disappointing, if the case. Marvel Land is already gonna be weak in phase one, so they really need to bring something incredible to phase two to do justice to such a big franchise. And this again means it'll be shoehorned into the theming.
This is why the original coaster was sent back to the drawing board from what I understand. They want something larger with better capacity. Now that doesn't mean automatically shoehorning a theme as its suppose to be purpose built. So the assumption is that any coaster they choose will be specific to the story. So even if the Tron coaster is picked it wouldn't be copy/pasted exactly the same as what's in Shanghai or what's going into WDW.

Also what is known is a second GotG coaster was order from the manufacturer. So the opinion I've seen most is that it'll be used for DCA. Which would leave Tron for TL, which appears to be confirmed by some of our insiders here.

But we'll see, D23 is around the corner and I expect to hear more about Marvel then (and fingers crossed maybe a hint on TL).

Old Mouseketeer

this is a quick cut and paste but this shows exactly how much room they have to play with when it comes to Fantasyland theater and how i believe they can move forward to use land a bit more efficiently.

Like i mentioned a couple post ago they should probably consider chopping up the western side of toontown and build a large showbuilding. The size of the western area fits a showbuilding the size of IASW perfectly.

here i went ahead and copy and pasted the IASW showbuilding to exact size. The only thing i edited was the curved entrance and exit path section of the building. I also included the queue and load area just for comparison. Obviously a Beauty and the Beats ride would not be a flume ride

If they were to run a tunnel thru the train berm just like they did for IASW they can easily add the attraction facade in the northern area of the Fantasyland theater plot. This would leave plenty of room for an expanded village themed to Beauty and the beast.

just to show how much room they have i actually cut and pasted Roger rabbit cartoon to show that they have plenty of room for an eatery and still have more room east of it for more of the village.

Since the show building would take up space of the Mickey and Minnie meet and greet they can relocate to the plot of land i marje din RED. Goofy and Donald can get a smaller play area in area marked in YELLOW.

All this can be done without destroying any part of the existing FantasylandView attachment 372368
I really don't see it. Why reduce area in Toontown right after you open a major attraction? And where do you move Mickey and Minnie M&G? I think the addition of MMRR preserves Toontown for more than a decade. I believe they will do away with subs/autopia and redevelop Tomorrowland before they even think of losing the West side of TT. Not to mention a third GE attraction behind Smuggler's where the Parade building is now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom