Rumor Disneyland Tomorrowland Future - What to do?

We all know that Disney will have to do something with Tomorrowland soon, what do you want to see?

• Demo it and start over with a new theme.

• Demo it and start over with same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain and keep same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain but retheme the land.

• Remove only certain attractions but keep the same theme.

• Remove only certain attractions but retheme the land.

• Go retro and bring back '67 Tomorrowland.

• Don't touch Tomorrowland at all, leave everything the way it is, its my favorite land!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
We all know that a redo of some kind is coming sooner or later to Tomorrowland, but what does Disney do? This is the ultimate question that I believe has been plaguing WDI for years now, and the reason why nothing has been done yet. However rumors have started stirring that Disney maybe ready to pull the trigger and finally do something with Tomorrowland. So what would we like to see and why.

mickEblu

They ll never ditch the TL theme at DL. I mean... in name at least. Tomorrowland isn't even Tomorrowland right now. It’s Sci fi, Star Wars lite, Pixar Pier South.

I think the resolution is simpler than people make it out to be. Just go out so far into the future that it won’t be outdated soon. Which of course will make it a little Fantasy based but that’s ok. I mean has architecture changed that much in the last 30 years? Our buildings are still mostly large, tall rectangles and boxes. When You look at Space Mountain, do you see something that looks outdated? I don’t, because I’ve never seen anything like that in real life. So I think TL should be a mix of a realistic mix of an optimistic view of the future, fantasy and a dash of Sci Fi. Of course with plenty of kinetic energy and levels of activity.

TBH I think TL 67 would be awesome too. That’s what Disney does best. Romanticized versions of the past. But this would mean bringing back the people mover with a new build and skyway otherwise it ain’t TL 67

mickEblu

Peoplemover maybe, it would have to be completely rebuilt though. But skyway no.

No skyway is a big part. I’d need it in there. A new and exciting subs and I’ll take new E ticket over COP and of course I’d still want Space Mountain there and a new and improved version of ATIS. So really I want a new TL with a 67 skin that still includes Space Mountain and a couple new rides, no COP and a much new and improved Autopia. I don’t see that on the list.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
No skyway is a big part. I’d need it in there. A new and exciting subs and I’ll take new E ticket over COP and of course I’d still want Space Mountain there and a new and improved version of ATIS. So really I want a new TL with a 67 skin that still includes Space Mountain and a couple new rides, no COP and a much new and improved Autopia. I don’t see that on the list.
You have to consider that Skyway doesn't affect just TL though. So no Skyway because we're limiting this to just TL and no other part of the park.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
A new and exciting subs and I’ll take new E ticket over COP and of course I’d still want Space Mountain there and a new and improved version of ATIS. So really I want a new TL with a 67 skin that still includes Space Mountain and a couple new rides, no COP and a much new and improved Autopia. I don’t see that on the list.
So you're really taking it back. As if you could wave your magic wand and turn back the clock and have '67 TL all over again. I think that would be very very unlikely to every happen, but its an interesting thought.

britain

From the Astro Orbiter thread:

“With Runaway Railway coming in 2022 (Three years!?) I predict there won’t be another investment of any considerable size until three years after that. Since there’s still more hype around a Frozen addition vs. anything in Tomorrowland, I suspect Arendale will be going into the motor boat area around 2025. I don’t expect a real Tomorrowland rebuild (if it’s impressive and thorough) to happen before 2028-ish.“

On the bright side, just think what advances in space exploration could be underway in a decade. We may possibly be finally on the way to Mars. Ten years from now, the general public (not just space nerds) may want the rocket jets to be circling around a replica of whatever is the latest NASA vehicle launching us to the stars.

In other words, the general public might be ready for a ‘67 style ‘realism’ aspect to be a part of Tomorrowland by then.

Right now, sci-fantasy is still too popular.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
From the Astro Orbiter thread:

“With Runaway Railway coming in 2022 (Three years!?) I predict there won’t be another investment of any considerable size until three years after that. Since there’s still more hype around a Frozen addition vs. anything in Tomorrowland, I suspect Arendale will be going into the motor boat area around 2025. I don’t expect a real Tomorrowland rebuild (if it’s impressive and thorough) to happen before 2028-ish.“

On the bright side, just think what advances in space exploration could be underway in a decade. We may possibly be finally on the way to Mars. Ten years from now, the general public (not just space nerds) may want the rocket jets to be circling around a replica of whatever is the latest NASA vehicle launching us to the stars.

In other words, the general public might be ready for a ‘67 style ‘realism’ aspect to be a part of Tomorrowland by then.

Right now, sci-fantasy is still too popular.
I don't know, Disney seems to have an appetite for making large investments in the parks right now. I think it might be closer than think....

britain

I don't know, Disney seems to have an appetite for making large investments in the parks right now. I think it might be closer than think....

If they do it piecemeal, sure. But if they go the ‘demolish everything’ route, they aren’t going to until the billion they just spent on Star Wars land is paid off, and other priorities are addressed first (Frozen, Marvel at DCA, Jungle Cruise revamp based on new movie, etc).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
If they do it piecemeal, sure. But if they go the ‘demolish everything’ route, they aren’t going to until the billion they just spent on Star Wars land is paid off, and other priorities are addressed first (Frozen, Marvel at DCA, Jungle Cruise revamp based on new movie, etc).
Its funny you say that, I'm of the opinion they will go the piecemeal route. Because I don't think they will be willing to lose all that capacity at one time, not because they don't want to spend the money.

SuddenStorm

I think it's important some form of the Tomorrowland theme and name remains, since it's an essential part of the framework that Walt Disney put in place, and has helped design and influence every Magic Kingdom style park that's come since. In the age of Galaxy's Edge and IP overlays, it'd be a huge mistake for Disney to start ripping away what makes Disneyland "Disneyland"

My answer is a blend of a few of the choices. Obviously, the idea of doing a "Tomorrowland" based on today would be a huge mistake given the rapid pace that technology is expanding and improving... America is gonna look way different in 20 years.

The best solution, and one that Disney utilized in the past is the Jules Verne themed Discoveryland/Tomorrowland '98. Obviously, the '98 refurb was botched for a number of reasons, but I imagine if the budget had been proper (minus the Astro Orbitor Location/moon rocks) that would've been a huge success similar to Fantasyland '83 and Tomorrowland '67.

At this point, Disneyland is rooted in nostalgia. My favorite solution would be to go retro... embrace the "Dreams fuel the future" and highlight visionary ideas of the past. In this case, build an updated Tomorrowland '67... a peoplemover with a new Progress City model updated to be relevant to 21 century audiences. Gut Star Tours and put in a proper dark ride that's rooted in a romanticized depiction of science that's quasi "edutainment" instead of Adventure Thru Inner Space. Bring back the Rocket Jets in their proper location, in a similar style to what was there before.

Reconfigure the Space Mountain Concourse. Gut Magic Eye theater and turn it into restaurant seating. Bring back the Space Place windows (where FP distribution is now). Move the Space Mountain entrance to accommodate this. And most importantly.... put a new state of the art attraction where Redd Rockett's half a**ed Pizza Planet is right now.

Gut/Demolish the carousel theater and either dream up a new animatronic/theater style show like America Sings- or put in a new state of the art attraction. My vote? Build the original Journey Into Imagination using modern technology. Bring back Baxter to lead creatively.

The Autopia should stay... but needs a new fleet of electric vehicles. Reconfigure the track to take up far less space utilizing more elevation changes and a shorter ride time. Ditch the Honda ASIMO nonsense. Use the new space from decreasing the space taken up by the track, as well as the old motorboat area to add an "Aladdin's Magic Carpet Flight" style E ticket dark ride or a "Jolly Holiday" Mary Poppins dark ride.

The submarines should stay... but should be reimagined into a more serious "journey into the depths" style theming that's more adult and scary than both the original submarine voyage, and the Nemo iteration. Include more realistic marine life, and have it be based on going into the depths of the ocean that are unexplored and un mapped to tie in with the "Tomorrowland" ideal of conquering new frontiers through the progression of technology.

Buzz either needs a thorough update, or should be replaced with a new attraction.

The best part of this is that it can be completed in phases as Disney becomes willing to budget new funds to the project. Reskin the land and rebuild the PM to start, the conquer the other attractions in phases to prevent the closure of half of Disneyland.

A land that's both a love letter to the Disneyland the "purists" long for, as well as a respectful update and progression of the ideals put in place by Walt would be a welcome addition after Galaxy's Edge.

mickEblu

I think it's important some form of the Tomorrowland theme and name remains, since it's an essential part of the framework that Walt Disney put in place, and has helped design and influence every Magic Kingdom style park that's come since. In the age of Galaxy's Edge and IP overlays, it'd be a huge mistake for Disney to start ripping away what makes Disneyland "Disneyland"

My answer is a blend of a few of the choices. Obviously, the idea of doing a "Tomorrowland" based on today would be a huge mistake given the rapid pace that technology is expanding and improving... America is gonna look way different in 20 years.

The best solution, and one that Disney utilized in the past is the Jules Verne themed Discoveryland/Tomorrowland '98. Obviously, the '98 refurb was botched for a number of reasons, but I imagine if the budget had been proper (minus the Astro Orbitor Location/moon rocks) that would've been a huge success similar to Fantasyland '83 and Tomorrowland '67.

At this point, Disneyland is rooted in nostalgia. My favorite solution would be to go retro... embrace the "Dreams fuel the future" and highlight visionary ideas of the past. In this case, build an updated Tomorrowland '67... a peoplemover with a new Progress City model updated to be relevant to 21 century audiences. Gut Star Tours and put in a proper dark ride that's rooted in a romanticized depiction of science that's quasi "edutainment" instead of Adventure Thru Inner Space. Bring back the Rocket Jets in their proper location, in a similar style to what was there before.

Reconfigure the Space Mountain Concourse. Gut Magic Eye theater and turn it into restaurant seating. Bring back the Space Place windows (where FP distribution is now). Move the Space Mountain entrance to accommodate this. And most importantly.... put a new state of the art attraction where Redd Rockett's half a**ed Pizza Planet is right now.

Gut/Demolish the carousel theater and either dream up a new animatronic/theater style show like America Sings- or put in a new state of the art attraction. My vote? Build the original Journey Into Imagination using modern technology. Bring back Baxter to lead creatively.

The Autopia should stay... but needs a new fleet of electric vehicles. Reconfigure the track to take up far less space utilizing more elevation changes and a shorter ride time. Ditch the Honda ASIMO nonsense. Use the new space from decreasing the space taken up by the track, as well as the old motorboat area to add an "Aladdin's Magic Carpet Flight" style E ticket dark ride or a "Jolly Holiday" Mary Poppins dark ride.

The submarines should stay... but should be reimagined into a more serious "journey into the depths" style theming that's more adult and scary than both the original submarine voyage, and the Nemo iteration. Include more realistic marine life, and have it be based on going into the depths of the ocean that are unexplored and un mapped to tie in with the "Tomorrowland" ideal of conquering new frontiers through the progression of technology.

Buzz either needs a thorough update, or should be replaced with a new attraction.

The best part of this is that it can be completed in phases as Disney becomes willing to budget new funds to the project. Reskin the land and rebuild the PM to start, the conquer the other attractions in phases to prevent the closure of half of Disneyland.

A land that's both a love letter to the Disneyland the "purists" long for, as well as a respectful update and progression of the ideals put in place by Walt would be a welcome addition after Galaxy's Edge.

Very much on the same page. I would add a nice restaurant up high somewhere with a view, like third or fourth story. Or the Space restaurant from Epcot (if it’s cool)

mandelbrot

Science fiction is the answer for Tomorrowland. The greatest works of science fiction influenced the world of science by posing ideas that seemed impossible but science eventually figured out how to achieve it. Space exploration is the greatest example of this. What are we capable of imagining today? What seems ideal yet impossible? Envisioning the world of tomorrow is about asking questions. The quest for answers is the exciting adventure that gets us there. That adventure is what Tomorrowland is meant to be.

SuddenStorm

Very much on the same page. I would add a nice restaurant up high somewhere with a view, like third or fourth story. Or the Space restaurant from Epcot (if it’s cool)

That'd be cool. Back before my time, Space Place had seating where the Space Mountain queue is now. It was a huge mistake to turn that entire area into queue in my opinion, since there's no reason the line should ever take up that whole roof.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
One thing to think about when speaking about PM is that its embedded within existing buildings. There is no simple replacement and there is no option to bring it back as it is. So it would mean destroying half of the buildings, including Space Mountain, in order to replace it. So at that point its almost a completely rebuild of TL anyways just to bring back a PM attraction.

IMDREW

I honestly don’t see disney spending anything in a complete rebuild of the land without their own IP in it.. as much as I’d like the tomorrowland or discoveryland we all dream of, those aren’t tied to a succesful movie and therefor not worth investing for Disney.

shambolicdefending

I'm a little skeptical that a future-looking theme will work as well in the mid-21st century as it did 60-70 years earlier.

But, there's so much underutilized or just plain wasted space on that side of the park that's screaming for a total rebuild. Nothing outside of Space Mountain should be safe from the bulldozer.

LEGOLAND now has a higher quality sub attraction than Disneyland (with much higher capacity). That is a problem.

trainplane3

Sharing from our TL thread:
The Rocket Rods Track is on borrowed time. If that ties in with a larger project I don’t know but there are Track demo plans over there.
I really should read my own notes more.

There is a two phase overhaul of DLs Tomorrowland proposed for the first half of next decade. Not total demo, some, plus the possible addition of something familiar. And a Buzz overlay (IP unknown)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom