Disneyland To Open Sept. 16th?

J2B

Hmmm

So, let me prepare this statement with take this with a pile of salt big enough to kill the morton salt girl...

BUT, it seems something is scheduled internally (currently unclear exactly who this is going out to) relating to parks (not clear from which division TDA vs TDO) on the 22nd.

I will say to keep expectations low. But for context the last time something like this was scheduled this way was the riviera opening media day (at WDW). What I'm hearing is it may just be the start of some promotion for the parks though.

Again, pile of salt big enough to kill with this as these things do change often and fast.
While I was enjoying my Starbucks Hibiscus/Lemonade tea at DTD last Friday, I noticed Disney media setting up for a shoot, looked like a welcome back, for the blog. From what I could gather (without being an annoying guest) They were highlighting 5 janitors along with a plaid, who all had speaking parts relating to their job in the parks....

VJ

While I was enjoying my Starbucks Hibiscus/Lemonade tea at DTD last Friday, I noticed Disney media setting up for a shoot, looked like a welcome back, for the blog. From what I could gather (without being an annoying guest) They were highlighting 5 janitors along with a plaid, who all had speaking parts relating to their job in the parks....
one of those cast videos they've been doing from the parks and posting on youtube, maybe?

i really don't think reopening is imminent

flutas

When I've been at DTD (only for merch I can't get online) I noticed them doing a lot more spur of the moment photo shoots of families (pro photog / actors, not random families) than I ever saw in the parks.

No clue what they are for, but of course could just be marketing for when they do eventually reopen.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
More work being reported happening inside the gates:

https:///2020/09/work-inside-disneyland-gates-ba1/

Looks like social distance tape being put down maybe for photos in-front of Floral Mickey.
Quoting myself here. Just a thought, but what if all this prep work is required to be done before Newsom announces reopening plans for Theme Parks. I have nothing to prove this, but it would make sense given the acceleration of prep work over the last couple weeks.

flutas

Quoting myself here. Just a thought, but what if all this prep work is required to be done before Newsom announces reopening plans for Theme Parks. I have nothing to prove this, but it would make sense given the acceleration of prep work over the last couple weeks.
Could also be something like Disney has been given an informal go date by Newsom while he crosses the Ts for the smaller parks.
At this point I don’t think anyone (who is willing to publicly say) knows.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Could also be something like Disney has been given an informal go date by Newsom while he crosses the Ts for the smaller parks.
Could be.... We're on a week-by-week and day-by-day watch even more now then ever.....

flutas

Could be.... We're on a week-by-week and day-by-day watch even more now then ever.....

As another thing...

The site that shall not be named has a post up mentioning new signage and hand washing stations are showing up at USH and evidence that the new SLOP ride at USH was configured to use their virtual queue system.

More wheels turning around the state it seems.

SuddenStorm

As another thing...

The site that shall not be named has a post up mentioning new signage and hand washing stations are showing up at USH and evidence that the new SLOP ride at USH was configured to use their virtual queue system.

More wheels turning around the state it seems.

My guess is that each park is trying to make sure they're ready to go at a moment's notice. It also helps to show Newsom that they're actually taking Covid seriously.

I'm also guessing at this point no Universal or Disney exec takes what Newsom says seriously anymore.

cmwade77

My guess is that each park is trying to make sure they're ready to go at a moment's notice. It also helps to show Newsom that they're actually taking Covid seriously.

I'm also guessing at this point no Universal or Disney exec takes what Newsom says seriously anymore.
I think you are probably right and I think they will open the second they are allowed and can have everything in place because it will be a lot harder to shut them down again after they reopen if the governor changes his mind.

Darkbeer1

NBC has been filming America's Got Talent at USH, using the park as backdrops for certain acts. You could see the 6 foot spacing dots on the ground, and other preparations for actual guests. So it has been down weeks ago, I think this is week 6 of the live shows, with one more to go.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
I wonder if the OC register is reporting on Newsom coming down to the resort area on Wed for his semi-daily press event that he may hold at Disneyland to talk about the economy, surrounding small businesses, and the trust in the brand and the wheels starting for reopening. Then Wednesday we get the game plan. Because usually we get a heads up on what his talks are going to be about and if he is traveling somewhere else. That’s my speculative theory based on nothing😎

mickEblu

What I would give to be on Space Mountain again?

1D643241-2218-4468-87A9-A38463B95A99.jpeg

Give us some good news @Darkbeer

el_super

Informally? Perhaps. But Disney would need a formal date to take any further action after they got bit in July, so an informal date would be useless to them. I've been eagerly awaiting news that my friends in Attractions had been called back, but so far none of them have and I doubt they will until a solid date is agreed upon. It's not really up to Newsom either to just pick an arbitrary date, as it will be dependent on the data and numbers coming back on virus transmission. Any date will always be contingent on the virus numbers being at a reasonable safe level. Newsom's office can advise when they will allow a reopening, but it will always be a risk that the numbers won't pan out, or will force another closure at another point in time. Disney will have to accept some risk in deciding to reopen.

A lot of the work you are seeing completed right now, was work that was to be completed in June and July, that was intended to be done before opening. Since they stopped calling back CMs when word came down that they would not get approval to reopen, those work items have been worked on by a smaller crew over a longer period of time. While they have continued to get things ready for reopening, the majority of the work (which they pegged at six weeks initially) can't be completed until CMs return to property.

And while I know people here keep expressing this idea that Disney will reopen within hours of the announcement from Newsom, I want to point out that it may still be within their best interest to hold off for a period of weeks before swinging the gates open. Even if the CMs could get the park ready to open within 2 weeks, they will still need time to implement the reservation system, and ensure that hotel guests and guests purchasing tickets have the time required to property plan for and book a vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom