Disneyland to manage crowds with upcoming changes to annual pass program, Disney CEO says - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
>>Disneyland plans to use changes to a new annual pass program and dynamic ticket pricing to help manage crowd levels when the Anaheim theme park reopens with attendance capacity restrictions following a yearlong coronavirus closure, according to Disney officials.

Sunsetting the annual pass program was just the first of several steps Disneyland plans to take to enhance the guest experience, Disney CEO Bob Chapek said this week during the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecommunications Conference.

“We’ve made some moves already, but we’re going to make further moves,” Chapek said during the conference.

Disneyland and Disney California Adventure are unlikely to return to full operation until spring or summer under COVID-19 health and safety reopening guidelines issued by the state. Disneyland stunned fans by canceling its annual passholder program in January and announcing that a new membership program will be unveiled at a later date.

The new membership program will allow Disneyland to better manage crowd levels, according to Chapek.

“We’re going to use that though in order to have an even better guest experience at Disneyland and really manage the crowd so that no matter what day you go to Disneyland you’re going to have an extraordinary experience,” Chapek said during the conference.

The eventual reopening of Disneyland and Disney California Adventure provide the opportunity for a “test case” combining Disney’s dynamic pricing model with artificially constrained capacity measures, according to Chapek.

Disneyland has recently expanded the use of a dynamic pricing model — charging more for tickets on busy weekends and holidays and less during the middle of the week. California theme parks will be required to cap attendance at 25% when they reopen in the least-restrictive yellow/minimal tier 4 of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy.

Disneyland plans to implement the dynamic pricing model “in a more profound and unlimited way” once the park reopens, Chapek said during the conference.

“Now we’ve got this test case where we’re artificially constraining the demand for our park,” Chapek said during the conference. “We’re getting pretty good at this supply-demand thing.”<<

DavidDL

If Disney is able to find a compromise here that puts the money they want in their pocket and actually improve the Guest experience, I will be all for it. If re-imagining or removing the Passholder program while trying to focus more on day visitors who are willing to pay more out of pocket leads to crowd levels similar to what I enjoyed as a child, I will gladly fork over money for a full priced day ticket a few times per year.

Just as long as it doesn't come at the cost of maintaining park quality. The nice thing about locals frequenting the parks before was Disney needing to keep up with them. One time visitors aren't as likely to care about cheap burgers at multiple food locations or a broken show effect out in the open but frequent visitors do.

Last edited:

Sailor310

"Now we’ve got this test case where we’re artificially constraining the demand for our park,” Chapek said during the conference. “We’re getting pretty good at this supply-demand thing.”<<

Since we love making fun of Chapek here. I think he meant they're artificially constraining the SUPPLY of the park-being only able to admit 25% of capacity. Thus I would suggest that maybe he's NOT that good at this supply-demand thing.

Last edited:

shambolicdefending

"Now we’ve got this test case where we’re artificially constraining the demand for our park,” Chapek said during the conference. “We’re getting pretty good at this supply-demand thing.”<<

Since we love making fun of Chapek here. I think he meant they're artificially constraining the SUPPLY of the park. Thus I would suggest that maybe he's NOT that good at this supply-demand thing.
What's happening does artificially simulate a demand constraint, as well, so I think you can call it either one.

TP2000

I'm just thrilled that Sunsetting is still a word. I've been trying to use it in conversation lately, so nice to see it in writing again.

DavidNoble

Work is boring. Try using it on your next Target run and see how much fun it is.

Ask the clerk "Do you still have Cherry Pepsi in 12 packs, or did you sunset that?"

Or at the McDonald's drive-thru ask the kid "When are you sunsetting the Shamrock Shakes this year?"

I probably use it in my personal life without even thinking about it! I'm sure people look at me like I'm crazy.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I'm just thrilled that Sunsetting is still a word. I've been trying to use it in conversation lately, so nice to see it in writing again.
1615262899335.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom