News Disneyland to give Tarzan’s Treehouse a new theme

Californian Elitist

Look, can we turn down the Kim Irvine hate? I didn't care for the Castle refurb, but we could do a lot worse. It's not like they're turning DL into Burger Invasion.
No one’s been talking about Kim Irvine like that in this thread, though. Also, it’s fine if people don’t like what she’s done and want to express their displeasure.

I loved Burger Invasion, by the way.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

the over-abundance of patriotism in this country is frankly annoying and sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable (and even unsafe). I don’t want to see more of that at Disneyland, personally.

100% agree that factions of this country have embraced a terrifying and dangerous jingoism in recent years. It's undeniably threatening when a truck decked out in 800 American flags and bumper stickers pulls up next to you. I'll refrain from elaborating since we're on a Disney message board.

I intended to refer more to attractions with that optimistic "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" ethos implicitly celebrating American culture, technology, achievements. I'd argue even the classic Epcot dark rides subtly tapped into this sensibility.

Attractions like Hall of Presidents and American Adventure (and Lincoln, to a lesser extent) are more explicitly patriotic and therefore problematic; they whitewash U.S. history and have been out of step with American historical scholarship for decades. In spite of these shortcomings, I still believe they have some value and contribute a touch of intellectual depth to the WDW experience (imagine how effective they'd be if meaningfully updated/reimagined) that doesn't really exist at DLR.

But of course, it's simply personal preference. Obviously the modern Disney company will never again build an attraction like HoP, CoP, AA, Horizons, etc., so it's mostly a moot point.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

100% agree that factions of this country have embraced a terrifying and dangerous jingoism in recent years. It's undeniably threatening when a truck decked out in 800 American flags and bumper stickers pulls up next to you. I'll refrain from elaborating since we're on a Disney message board.

I intended to refer more to attractions with that optimistic "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" ethos implicitly celebrating American culture, technology, achievements. I'd argue even the classic Epcot dark rides subtly tapped into this sensibility.

Attractions like Hall of Presidents and American Adventure (and Lincoln, to a lesser extent) are more explicitly patriotic and therefore problematic; they whitewash U.S. history and have been out of step with American historical scholarship for decades. In spite of these shortcomings, I still believe they have some value and contribute a touch of intellectual depth to the WDW experience (imagine how effective they'd be if meaningfully updated/reimagined) that doesn't really exist at DLR.

But of course, it's simply personal preference. Obviously the modern Disney company will never again build an attraction like HoP, CoP, AA, Horizons, etc., so it's mostly a moot point.
I agree. Simply because the line between patriotism and nationalism/jingoism has been increasingly blurred (arguably) doesn’t mean there isn’t still a place for some of these legacy attractions in my mind. Whether that’s to be preserved inside the parks or perhaps elsewhere as public sentiments evolve.

While certainly a sanitization of the American experience they do have a place in the larger experience and tapestry of both the Disney parks history and a snapshot of the positive attributes American history. Even if missing some broader context, I’d hate to see these experiences go away entirely.

DavidDL

I felt the American Adventure to be a highlight of our most recent trip to WDW. I appreciated that they had scenes dedicated to historically marginalized groups in this country that had them pointing out the hypocrisy that's faced/faces our country as it continued (-and continues to) grow.

Though I will admit that between this area of Epcot and Liberty Square's Hall of Presidents, things did feel a tad redundant. I'd honestly be fine with the Presidents attraction being put on the chopping block at some point since the American Adventure feels more appropriate where it is and is a more enjoyable experience/does a better job overall, imo.

Anyways, what was this thread about? Tarzan? Whatever replaces it, I'm sure it won't be hard to outdo what came before.

Californian Elitist

Oh okay, gotcha! In that case, yes, I agree. I’d also like to see one or two more attractions related to American optimism.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I felt the American Adventure to be a highlight of our most recent trip to WDW. I appreciated that they had scenes dedicated to historically marginalized groups in this country that had them pointing out the hypocrisy that's faced/faces our country as it continued (-and continues to) grow.

Though I will admit that between this area of Epcot and Liberty Square's Hall of Presidents, things did feel a tad redundant. I'd honestly be fine with the Presidents attraction being put on the chopping block at some point since the American Adventure feels more appropriate where it is and is a more enjoyable experience/does a better job overall, imo.

Anyways, what was this thread about? Tarzan? Whatever replaces it, I'm sure it won't be hard to outdo what came before.

Oh okay, gotcha! In that case, yes, I agree. I’d also like to see one or two more attractions related to American optimism.

You'll both be happy to learn of the announcement of the new IP... The Tree Fort of President Babies.

EPCOTCenterLover

It’s a personal tastes thing. It’s not that I think we have it awful here. I’m just not a patriotic person (I don’t stand for the National Anthem, unless it’s for one of Whitney Houston’s renditions) and the over-abundance of patriotism in this country is frankly annoying and sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable (and even unsafe). I don’t want to see more of that at Disneyland, personally.

Again, just personal tastes.
I'm sorry, @raven24 - I wasn't trying to imply you thought things were bad here. Not at all. And I have always appreciated how you've handled yourself in the sometimes turbulent waters here. I was just making a statement about the state of our union. The good and bad thing commingled in our history. I'm patriotic as a sense of being thankful to the men and women who did the good things we enjoy, but I am not a "The USA has no problems of faults" kind of guy. So I stand out of respect and solidarity with all citizens. I'm more of the I'm a Jesus follower and a citizen of heaven first kind of guy. So I try to love God and love and respect my neighbors guy regardless of whether or not they believe and think as I do. If all that makes any sense. 😂

Dear Prudence

Look, can we turn down the Kim Irvine hate? I didn't care for the Castle refurb, but we could do a lot worse. It's not like they're turning DL into Burger Invasion.
I didn't say I hated her. I said I liked the Snow White revamp. I said taking selfie with fake pelicans in a new eating sitting area like it was a new attraction was weird.

SBlake

You'll both be happy to learn of the announcement of the new IP... The Tree Fort of President Babies.
"Give me liberty, or give me a good burping."
bps9f07.jpg

lazyboy97o

Settle down, people. The concrete is still wet in those pics. It'll match when it dries.
Concrete doesn’t dry, it cures. Even if the contractor did somehow did go through the painstaking process of match the adjacent colors, it would still mostly have a swirl finish not present on the adjacent hardscape. The one little bit that seems to be a stone look also has a joint running through it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom