News Disneyland to give Tarzan’s Treehouse a new theme

WDWJoeG

Same reason Frozen did. It had a song that everyone went nuts over and that alone made it the next Frozen.
Except that movie was an actual hit, people actually paid to see it, and it grossed $1.2B+ worldwide. But when it was free, oh boy, THEN it went crazy!

Disney Analyst

Except that movie was an actual hit, people actually paid to see it, and it grossed $1.2B+ worldwide. But when it was free, oh boy, THEN it went crazy!

We all know you are just trolling at this point.

We all have a basic understanding of the different circumstances surrounding Frozen and Encanto.

Regardless of your thoughts on the lack of of box office due to something known as COVID, Encanto is a hit.

Why does it bother you so much that Encanto is a massive hit despite a severely impacted theatrical run due to a virus?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney thinks Encanto is a hit. Mirabel and Antonio already appear in a parade. DL has an Encanto projection show on the facade of It's a Small World. Insiders are telling us Encanto will be showing up in more shows.

And Chapek called it a "franchise" already.

It will get the same marketing penetration that Frozen had.

You don't have to like it. But you do have to live in reality, and in reality, it's wildly popular.

mharrington

Yeah. Looks like the film takes place in Colombia, which doesn’t really work. I don’t expect management or even really anyone in Imagineering at this point to understand the nuances of Adventureland (“It’s a jungle, so Encanto fits!!”), so I guess my expectations are just so unbelievably low that I’m excited the tree is staying at all. Let’s hope this is at least better-funded than the Tarzan iteration.
If "Encanto" doesn't fit in Adventureland, which I think it does (certainly better than "The Princess and the Frog" fitting in WDW's Frontierland, anyway), where does it fit better?

Roger_the_pianist

Disney+ is not...free. people pay for it, probably more over the year than they would spend seeing Disney films over the year and especially each month. In fact my mom keeps saying *I wonder if I'm getting charged for Disney+ yet* since she clicked on a free trial months ago.

And I will admit I am only currently watching The Proud Family reboot on the streaming service, and all I've really watched otherwise were the seasonal blocks of Simpson's episodes at Halloween and Christmas. Home Alone, too. But probably not enough to merit paying monthly.

So Encanto was not *free*...the pandemic certainly changed how we go to the movies.

Dear Prudence

When did Encanto blow up? How did this become a phenom? Is this from the dvd sales or some Disney+ viewing count? Or is just marketing to make us think it did?
I saw it in...December? November? I thought it was cute, but I was disappointed. I think when it moved to Disney Plus it blew up.

Dear Prudence

I don't really understand Disney Plus, either, because I already own all the films I want. I already pay for cable, why do I want a streaming service on top of that? I am a firm believer in buying media whenever possible (key being -whenever possible- because I know there's privileges there), because streaming had devalued media. People brag about caring about art, and they still use Spotify. Disney Plus doesn't have either the 2015 Cinderella or So Dear to My Heart, either. Your favourite album and visual streaming services regularly remove albums and films. Disney has shown me where it puts its money, and I am content with watching the films on cable or owning dvds when I can. I bought the Ecanto DVD set even though I didn't care that much about it.

Also we don't even know for sure if the retheme is going to be Encanto 😫😭😬🤣

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't really understand Disney Plus, either, because I already own all the films I want. I already pay for cable, why do I want a streaming service on top of that? I am a firm believer in buying media whenever possible (key being -whenever possible- because I know there's privileges there), because streaming had devalued media. People brag about caring about art, and they still use Spotify. Disney Plus doesn't have either the 2015 Cinderella or So Dear to My Heart, either. Your favourite album and visual streaming services regularly remove albums and films. Disney has shown me where it puts its money, and I am content with watching the films on cable or owning dvds when I can. I bought the Ecanto DVD set even though I didn't care that much about it.

Also we don't even know for sure if the retheme is going to be Encanto 😫😭😬🤣
Streaming services provide a single location for the providers specific content for a single monthly subscription fee. So instead of buying the media for each Disney movie you want, which can become very costly, you get it automatically as part of your subscription to D+ once it becomes available. Plus it doesn't get scratched or damaged, so you don't have to worry about replacing it.

Basically we now live in a digital world, physical media is something that will eventually go away completely. It doesn't make the content, ie the art, any less valuable. A good movie or song is still good no matter how you consume it, whether that be through a physical media purchase or watching it on a streaming service. Also watching content on a streaming service is no different than watching it on cable. The only difference is that the majority of streaming services provides content that is specific only to the company offering the service, such as Disney. A few such as Netflix still offer content from other providers, but that is also slowly going away.

As for specific movies not being on D+, a lot of that has to do with existing contracts with other content providers/disturbers on said movie, and its specific to specific regions such as the US. For example Cinderella (2015) in the US is available on Starz and its streaming service, but is actually available on D+ outside the US.

The other part of specific movies not being on D+ has to do with the content still being in the Disney Vault. Disney is slowly releasing that back catalog over time. So old shorts, shows, and movies are being released weekly onto the service. This is done so it provides you something new to watch all the time keeping you subscribed.

There are other aspect of Streaming not discussed here, but I hope that provides you a better understanding of streaming services.

Dear Prudence

Streaming services provide a single location for the providers specific content for a single monthly subscription fee. So instead of buying the media for each Disney movie you want, which can become very costly, you get it automatically as part of your subscription to D+ once it becomes available. Plus it doesn't get scratched or damaged, so you don't have to worry about replacing it.

Basically we now live in a digital world, physical media is something that will eventually go away completely. It doesn't make the content, ie the art, any less valuable. A good movie or song is still good no matter how you consume it, whether that be through a physical media purchase or watching it on a streaming service. Also watching content on a streaming service is no different than watching it on cable. The only difference is that the majority of streaming services provides content that is specific only to the company offering the service, such as Disney. A few such as Netflix still offer content from other providers, but that is also slowly going away.

As for specific movies not being on D+, a lot of that has to do with existing contracts with other content providers/disturbers on said movie, and its specific to specific regions such as the US. For example Cinderella (2015) in the US is available on Starz and its streaming service, but is actually available on D+ outside the US.

The other part of specific movies not being on D+ has to do with the content still being in the Disney Vault. Disney is slowly releasing that back catalog over time. So old shorts, shows, and movies are being released weekly onto the service. This is done so it provides you something new to watch all the time keeping you subscribed.

There are other aspect of Streaming not discussed here, but I hope that provides you a better understanding of streaming services.
You... don't have to explain this to me. I understand streaming services, I just do not like them because they devalue art and I already own the media that I want. I make media. I've been in the business a decade. I actually understand how the business works. Streaming is the worst thing that has ever happened to media. I appreciate that it's been made more accessible, trust me, but it's actively harmful and not sustainable, especially for the people who make it. It's making the people who run the services money, but the actual people who do the actual media making are leaving because they can't sustain it.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You... don't have to explain this to me. I understand streaming services, I just do not like them because they devalue art and I already own the media that I want. I make media. I've been kn the business a decade. I actually understand how the business works. Streaming is the worst thing that has ever happened to media.

My apologies. Your posts starts with “I don’t really understand Disney Plus” and then goes on to ask why you need a streaming service. So forgive me for misunderstanding the intent of your post.

I really was just trying to be helpful.

As for the rest, sorry but I disagree. How the content is distributed doesn’t devalue it. The content is still the same no matter how it’s distributed. If I buy a DVD of a Disney movie other than having a physical plastic disc it’s the same content that is on streaming. For that matter you mentioned you have cable, well then if you claim streaming devalues the content well then so does cable as it’s effectively the same delivery mechanism. So in that case you should drop your cable service if you truly are about the art and not want it it be devalued.

Dear Prudence

We all know you are just trolling at this point.

We all have a basic understanding of the different circumstances surrounding Frozen and Encanto.

Regardless of your thoughts on the lack of of box office due to something known as COVID, Encanto is a hit.

Why does it bother you so much that Encanto is a massive hit despite a severely impacted theatrical run due to a virus?
Encanto was the first film I saw in theaters in literally years, and not just because of Covid--the last one I saw before that was Black Panther). We rented out the theatre to ourselves for a birthday party, and the kids got to dance up and down the aisles. Even if it wasn't the film I wanted, the kids liked it. It was an instant hit with them. Encanto doing well is no Nancy Drew mystery. Kids liked it, same with Frozen, and not just because of the one "big" song.

Roger_the_pianist

I work in a FiveBelow which has huge amounts of Disney merch. We still sell SO MUCH Stitch. We are gradually getting Encanto. Baby Yoda is everywhere but losing steam.

I've never seen Tarzan merch, lol. Maybe Tarzan is getting evicted because he's not pushing merch. He's also pretty sexualized which I always found weird.

No Name

I don't really understand Disney Plus, either, because I already own all the films I want. I already pay for cable, why do I want a streaming service on top of that?

Aside from the convenience of being able to watch on all sorts of devices in all sorts of places, and even at home, to not have to buy the dvd and then look through a dvd collection, there’s a lot of things that are released weekly on Disney+, for me it’s the Marvel and Star Wars shows, that I wouldn’t want to wait for a DVD release for. Well I’d probably never buy a DVD anyway but I’m just speaking hypothetically there.

Dear Prudence

Aside from the convenience of being able to watch on all sorts of devices in all sorts of places, and even at home, to not have to buy the dvd and then look through a dvd collection, there’s a lot of things that are released weekly on Disney+, for me it’s the Marvel and Star Wars shows, that I wouldn’t want to wait for a DVD release for. Well I’d probably never buy a DVD anyway but I’m just speaking hypothetically there.
I actually don't think newer shows are being releases on DVD, if I can be honest. I also don't have a lot of time to watch stuff, although the commercials for some of the shows do look interesting

PiratesMansion

What I like about Disney+ vs. other streaming services is that almost nothing is ever removed. You bought it for Disney movies? Marvel? Star Wars? Go nuts. It's (mostly) all there and it's not going anywhere.

Whereas HBO Max hypes up things like DC movies and Harry Potter and has access to the entire Warner Bros. Library and then will remove things people know and like randomly and arbitrarily just because they feel like it. I don't understand how they think what they're doing is going to attract more business to them. It just baffles me how shortsighted other companies are with that. If you own things people like why are you sitting on them or removing them arbitrarily make it make sense.

Where Disney+ loses me is the absolutely glacial pace at which they release content, especially anything that might involve vintage Disney or related to the parks that's not already on the platform. They're not going to sustain their growth if they're just putting out one or two minor new things out a week. And eventually (at least, I HOPE eventually) people are going to need a reason to come to Disney+ beyond animation, Marvel, and Star Wars.

I AM happy Netflix finally lost some subscribers. They needed a wake-up call, their content has been largely mediocre for some time as they lost a lot of the shows that brought other people in to other streamers and most of the replacement content has been lackluster.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom