News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Californian Elitist

People weren't actually any less offended by things in 1971 than they are in 2021.

The two big differences are that the world was far less connected and society was far less receptive to certain opinions, so people weren't able to express themselves. If someone was offended by something in 1971, they probably decided it was better for their career, relationships, friendships, etc. to keep quiet, and even if they were bold enough to take on society, their voice probably wouldn't leave the neighborhood because they didn't have instant worldwide communication through the internet. There's a lot more I want to say but I don't want this to get moved to the politics and social issues section.

It's a positive development that in 2021 we are able to have conversations about this stuff.
The Politics sub-forum was removed a while ago.

Feel free to say what you wanted. This thread has been swimming in politics for pages and pages now. :)

el_super

>1971
>2021

It's definitely a different time and place. Had the name stayed the same and they were calling for change now, you would see how people who weren't around then, are offended today.

Yeah.... But the opposite is true as well I think: People who complain the most about changes occurring now, are willing to accept the same changes occurring in the past, because they weren't impacted by them. They didn't see them, and in some cases are just completely ignorant to them happening. There's a strange form of exceptionalism going on too. The cancel culture of the 1970s can be dismissed as unimportant and mild compared to the tragedy of cancel culture today. Falling into the trap of thinking that the changes of today are somehow exceptional to any other changes that have occurred.

From a Disneyland perspective, it makes it really hard to determine how much is valid criticism of a change versus a complaint that something has to change at all.

I'm glad they changed Snow White. The ride was getting tired. Content wise, I don't think the end result was really a net positive, but I can still appreciate the effort that went into it, and the understanding that sometimes things just need to change and move on.

mickEblu

I’m not sure how I feel about Enchanted Wish. I don’t dislike the facade as much as I thought I would. Don’t like Snow Whites jail cell bedroom at all. Whoever is doing Happys voice on the safety spiel is awful. Where does Disney find their voice actors for the parks lately?

The first half of the ride is pretty much all improvements. The best of them being in the mine and dungeon. Some really neat effects they added in the dungeon especially. That out of place breaking mirror effect has go to go. I appreciate the effort to move the cliff scene/ witch demise even if the original was staged much better. Then the whole thing just seems to end really fast. Really love the scene of Snow White being kissed. The projections and whatever else they are doing there are stellar. I like the music from the movie being added. Not thrilled with the last scene with the midget prince. That forced perspective just doesn’t work there.

For whatever reason the ride actually feels shorter now. Maybe because it’s not as cohesive of an experience and the ending feels rushed? Overall, I think there is just more to see in Enchanted Wish. I’m not sure which version I like more. I liked and disliked them both for various reasons. I think I give the nod to Enchanted Wish but I reserve the right to change my opinion after riding a few more times. I’ll take the newer more visually impressive/ interesting version with the music over the older more cohesive/ monotone version.

waltography

The first half of the ride is pretty much all improvements. The best of them being in the mine and dungeon. Some really neat effects they added in the dungeon especially. That out of place breaking mirror effect has go to go. I appreciate the effort to move the cliff scene/ witch demise even if the original was staged much better. Then the whole thing just seems to end really fast. Really love the scene of Snow White being kissed. The projections and whatever else they are doing there are stellar. I like the music from the movie being added. Not thrilled with the last scene with the midget prince. That forced perspective just doesn’t work there.
Agree with most of your points; the mine has never looked better, and the dungeon and the new projection mapping by the cauldron there are all great touches. It would've been so much better if instead of the mirror they had Snow's hand let go of the apple and roll it towards the path of the ride vehicle - less is more there. I don't think it ended too fast; I'm a sucker for the classic choral endings so this was right up my alley, and the lighting for the kiss was drop dead gorgeous.

George Lucas on a Bench

The reality is they crammed Snow White Apple Bite TV Screen, Dwarfs on Mountain with Witch and the Nonconsensual Kiss all in to one room and the ending is just a bunch of crap all at once. The original version with the witch in the boat, the woods, the holographic apple and the mountain lightning bolt bit all flowed. The new version does not at all.

mickEblu

The reality is they crammed Snow White Apple Bite TV Screen, Dwarfs on Mountain with Witch and the Nonconsensual Kiss all in to one room and the ending is just a bunch of crap all at once. The original version with the witch in the boat, the woods, the holographic apple and the mountain lightning bolt bit all flowed. The new version does not at all.

Don’t disagree and yet I feel that that there is more there for me to enjoy in that rushed mess.

mickEblu

Agree with most of your points; the mine has never looked better, and the dungeon and the new projection mapping by the cauldron there are all great touches. It would've been so much better if instead of the mirror they had Snow's hand let go of the apple and roll it towards the path of the ride vehicle - less is more there. I don't think it ended too fast; I'm a sucker for the classic choral endings so this was right up my alley, and the lighting for the kiss was drop dead gorgeous.

Love me those classic choral Golden era animation endings. I’m glad they snuck one into the end of MMRR.

D.Silentu

Surprised to see so many underwhelmed. I could do without the shattering mirror and even more so the video of the dwarves marching. However, as for the rest of it, the thought that occurred to me was that I wished Mission Breakout had been done this well. Although, I agree that the safety spiel is a poor impression.

Brer Panther

Whoever is doing Happys voice on the safety spiel is awful. Where does Disney find their voice actors for the parks lately?
The current voice of Happy is Stephen Stanton (who also does the Prospector in Toy Story Mania and Henry Mystic in Mystic Manor). I'm guessing he did Happy for the safety spiel.

Californian Elitist

I enjoyed the new version! My family's reactions:

Daughter as we were leaving the ride: "that was way better than before!!!"
Husband: "it was different??"

Lol.... :D
Your husband reminds me of one of my undergrad professors.

Me: Dr. B., what will we be reading for our British Lit course? I’d like to start purchasing the texts now.

Dr. B.: Am I teaching that class?🤔

😐

Happy to hear you enjoyed the new version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom