News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Californian Elitist

For those claiming no one is trying to cancel Snow White. Here is the snowballing in its final form.

There were no calls for the cancellation of Snow White by the author. What the author did do, though, is prove that Snow White has been getting called out ever since the Grimm Brothers wrote their version, and it will continue to happen. But the story can be changed to the will of the author/screenwriter/playwright at any time, and it has (the article mentions multiple variations of the story to prove their point). The author even provides a quote that basically states that we can still enjoy fictional stories without complying with some of the themes and plot points (something else my thesis touches on). Not once did the author suggest that Snow White should be done away with. But they’re right, the story will always be getting “cancelled.” Just like Huck Finn, The Bluest Eye, Lolita (my favorite book of all time), The Catcher in the Rye, and all the other books that have been banned throughout the decades.

This topic is basically my thesis.

MoonRakerSCM

"No one's canceling Snow White"

"But we're going to remove themes from the ride that we think are offensive to children"
"Slowly but surely we will remove other things too that are offensive in today's world, but don't worry we're not canceling it..."
"You can still watch it at home in private... But we will be sure to put a warning in front of it first to let you know that watching it is wrong... But we're not canceling it."
"You can still talk about Snow White all you want, but if your views on it differ from ours you will be ostracized."

"No one is canceling Snow White..."

yensidtlaw1969

"But we're going to remove themes from the ride that we think are offensive to children"
"Slowly but surely we will remove other things too that are offensive in today's world, but don't worry we're not canceling it..."
"You can still watch it at home in private... But we will be sure to put a warning in front of it first to let you know that watching it is wrong... But we're not canceling it."
"You can still talk about Snow White all you want, but if your views on it differ from ours you will be ostracized."

Explain to me how Disney throwing out the bath water while very purposefully keeping the baby is "canceling" Snow White.

They could have just closed the ride. They could have built something totally new. They could have not installed the brand new Kiss scene.

But they didn't. They kept the ride, they gave it 5-Star treatment (most rides don't get refurbs as thorough as this - even if you don't like the results, the whole thing sparkles like never before) and and ADDED the Kiss scene to it. Whaveter would possess anyone to think ONE critic's review of the ride would make them immediately recant and remove the scene is beyond me. And if that isn't at risk (and, it isn't), when WHAT is the point of all the gnashing of teeth about this one woman's review?

Goodness gracious, people, there's NO need to go to such LENGTHS to defend the ride against a change that ISN'T being made.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Disney recently **added** the kiss to the ride.

That's the opposite of cancellation.

Seriously, the only calls for cancellation come from bad faith anti-wokers wanting to paint the woke movement as crazy.

They're only proving themselves to be the ones out of touch claiming there's a cancellation movement against the revised Snow White movement and all they have are a handful of poorly written or poorly understood opinion pieces as their proof.

There is no woke mob coming for the new Snow White ride. That's just a big lie.

mickEblu

So thank goodness I had my sister bring me two PB blondies instead of 1. I watched E.T. tonight for the first time in at least 15 years. So the question is did the PB Blondie inspire E.T. or did my visit to USH inspire the PB Blondie? Or perhaps did everything in the Universe just align?

E5F65972-15C5-4C98-9B4A-3CBAE8314F4F.jpeg

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Yes the author didnt call to cancel snow white but her article inspired others to call for its cancellation. Not her fault directly but it's not like she wasn't trying to stir the pot.
Thank goodness you were there to defend Snow White's honor against the . . . *checks notes* . . . 7 human people on Earth who agreed with that writer.

Honestly, can you present ONE noteworthy voice who was "inspired to call for it's cancellation"? Or even any meaningful amount of voices that aren't noteworthy?

You can't pretend for a second that sympathetic calls to "cancel Snow White" in the wake of this article were anywhere NEAR as loud as the thousands of people in comments sections across the land refusing to read past the headlines and shouting about how "Cancel culture can't leave ANYTHING alone" and "These people have NOTHING better to do with their time??" and "It's a FAIRYTALE, genius!" - The response was OVERWHELMINGLY negative. Fueled by headlines who made the situation sound worse than it ever was, but hugely negative nonetheless.

Not to mention the baseline fact here that *•*•*Disneyland has no intention of removing a scene they JUST installed*•*•*. The point is so moot that the fact that you guys keep going would be hilarious if it wasn't so annoying.

Californian Elitist

Yes the author didnt call to cancel snow white but her article inspired others to call for its cancellation. Not her fault directly but it's not like she wasn't trying to stir the pot.
No.

Which article are you referring to, by the way? The original one that was posted or the Yahoo one you posted (the one I responded about)?

The pot has been stirring for probably over 200 years. Once again, Snow White has been called out and cancelled for its content a million times since before any of us were born. The original article didn't inspire others to call for its cancellation. The kiss while sleeping criticism is an old one.

You and others keep fanning the flames.

yensidtlaw1969

You literally both are pretending there arent articles right now saying Snow White should be cancelled, there are dozens of them now, all a result of that original article. I even posted one on here as have other users.

That article was on the front page of yahoo, not something I even searched for, I stumbled upon it.

Yet you continue to claim I am imagining things or making this up in my head. No I am not imagining these articles exist, you can go on the Twitter cesspool as well and see the calls to cancel Snow White.

But it's all a conspiracy I made up in my head apparently...

That makes perfect sense, I like the Snow White movie and ride so decided to invent a narrative that people want to get rid of Snow White. That benefits me how?
Then it should be very easy to link to One.

The article you shared from Yahoo is not an example because it does not sympathize with the writer from SFGate. It merely meditates on the sentiment of Snow White’s supposed “cancellation” and concludes that nothing serious is afoot.

Californian Elitist

You literally both are pretending there arent articles right now saying Snow White should be cancelled, there are dozens of them now, all a result of that original article. I even posted one on here as have other users.

That article was on the front page of yahoo, not something I even searched for, I stumbled upon it.

Yet you continue to claim I am imagining things or making this up in my head. No I am not imagining these articles exist, you can go on the Twitter cesspool as well and see the calls to cancel Snow White.

But it's all a conspiracy I made up in my head apparently...

That makes perfect sense, I like the Snow White movie and ride so decided to invent a narrative that people want to get rid of Snow White. That benefits me how?
Trust me, it’s not just you. That’s why I said “you and others.” There are plenty of you fanning the flames and turning this into something it isn’t. We’ve been saying nothing will come from this, despite the people who may be on Twitter calling for Snow White to be cancelled because no amount of screaming for it to be significantly cancelled to a degree where the story somehow gets buried far down below to the point where it ceases to exist at all a hundred years from now simply will not happen. Why? Because again, Snow White has been constantly getting cancelled over and over again for 200 years. And look at that, the story is still here, getting re-made and adapted over and over again.

Snow White is fine and will continue to be fine. This has created debate and discussion for the time being, which is not a bad thing. But other than that, there’s nothing significant to see here.

yensidtlaw1969

Oh yes excuse me for "fanning the flames" by acknowledging articles that exist.

I should stop going to obscure sites such as Google News and Yahoo that are clearly pushing me fake news.
Link to ONE article that agrees with “Cancelling” Snow White because of the new scene in the ride.

This is what I meant by misleading headlines - so many articles were published with headlines like “Snow White Ride Draws Criticism” or “Snow White Next for Cancel Culture?”, but if you read them the only item they refer back to is the ONE review from SFGate. None of them AGREE with her, they just think they can exploit the article for engagement. And you're proving them right.

This isn’t a movement, people. This was one article getting waaay too much play relative to its actual content. One person critiquing the new Snow White ride is not actually worthy of National News.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Oh yes excuse me for "fanning the flames" by acknowledging articles that exist.

I should stop going to obscure sites such as Google News and Yahoo that are clearly pushing me fake news.
Yes, exactly. You should.

When I said “no one is calling for Snow White to be cancelled,” I was specifically referring to people in this thread. Of course there are people calling for Snow White to be cancelled outside of this forum. I’m well aware of that obvious fact. My point is, though... So? Who cares? Nothing significant will come from the cries. People are screaming “CANCEL CULTURE!” for nothing, basically. Not sure if you’ve noticed, but most times, when something or someone who’s popular gets cancelled, what usually happens is people create discussion, maybe stop purchasing their products, unfollow them on Twitter and Instagram, etc. That’s usually it though, unless they did something truly awful, like Kevin Spacey (and even he might make a comeback).They’ll still be relevant, still be making money, still be popular, etc. Getting cancelled may even boost their sales.

Nothing to be concerned about here.

johnsmith1917

Snow white getting "canceled" IMO is the best thing for its popularity. It's shedding a spotlight on how they recently changed the ride to include a happy ending. My friends who no absolutely nothing about Disney park refreshments texted me about one of the articles, thinking it was hysterical.

This is honestly good for the ride and for Snow White's presence in popular culture. What was once a forgotten ride in Fantasyland is now somehow making national headlines

PiratesMansion

Snow white getting "canceled" IMO is the best thing for its popularity. It's shedding a spotlight on how they recently changed the ride to include a happy ending. My friends who no absolutely nothing about Disney park refreshments texted me about one of the articles, thinking it was hysterical.

This is honestly good for the ride and for Snow White's presence in popular culture. What was once a forgotten ride in Fantasyland is now somehow making national headlines
It would have made headlines and gotten longer lines regardless, they literally just redid it.

The Aracuan Bird

No, give the whole quote - it says this:

"The Snow White story, then, endures because it is memorable – but also infinitely flexible. It bends to accommodate the concerns of each storyteller and their times. But, of course, this means that, a few decades down the line, it is likely to get caught out when those priorities change. That said, given Disney’s eagerness to tippex their past, I wouldn’t bet on a happily ever after for Prince Charming and his charmless kiss."

*A few decades down the line*. The writer is theorizing that ONE day, MAYBE, far in the future, the story might again evolve with the culture, which, as the article sets to prove at length, is what it has always done.

In other words, Times change. So too does Snow White. But the story isn't being "canceled", it just may change with the times again one day.

The article is attempting to calm the flames, not fan them.
It does a bad job with that title.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom