News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

CaptinEO

The "spark" isn't a band of woke libs coming at the ride with torches.

It's conservatives imagining there is a band of woke libs coming at the ride with torches and retiring to their fainting couches over it.

There is no movement to change Snow White. Fake news.
Why is it political? You don't see how things snowball and build into something else?

There is no imagining, this article
clearly stated there was a problem with the Snow White ride. People did not make this up.

It would benefit your mind to stop blaming political parties for problems. I don't think any Democratic or Republican official have commented on this, nor do they care.

I am a fan of the movie Snow White, does that put me in some political affiliation?

The Aracuan Bird

The "spark" isn't a band of woke libs coming at the ride with torches.

It's conservatives imagining there is a band of woke libs coming at the ride with torches and retiring to their fainting couches over it.

There is no movement to change Snow White. Fake news.
It doesn’t matter where the spark comes from. Many people won’t look into where it comes from. They’ll hear it and form an opinion. It isn’t the case of “well I’m left leaning, and I think it’s ridiculous, so everyone else left leaning will as well”. That’s not how it works.

Granted, many will find this particular claim ridiculous. The greater issue with Snow White is how her main purpose in life seems to be getting married, which isn’t exactly positioning her as a positive role model.

el_super

Some idiot journalist made up an issue and it naturally upset people.

Not an idiot. It was actually a really well written article that raised a lot of interesting questions. Don't be so afraid of ideas you have to dismiss them without critical analysis. THAT is the real cancel culture.

BTW The editor weighed in on the "controversy:"

“It’s hard to understand why the Disneyland of 2021 would choose to add a scene with such old-fashioned ideas of what a man is allowed to do to a woman, especially given the company’s current emphasis on removing problematic scenes from rides like Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain,” Julie Tremaine and Katie Dowd wrote.

While the piece ends with praise for the ride, and even for the final scene “as long as you’re watching it as a fairy tale, not a life lesson,” the piece became a rallying cry for Fox News and other conservative media, which declared that “cancel culture” was targeting Snow White.
Tremaine, a contributing editor for the site who covers Disneyland, said the backlash grew far beyond the level of criticism in the story.
Some of the responses included mentions of sexual violence and suggestions of suicide.
“Our message got rewritten so many times,” she said. “Every time it got rewritten, it got bigger and more offensive and more distorted from what we actually wrote.”
She has written about other updates underway and potential future ones, and understands that fans who grew up with Disney parks or movies have such a “deep ingrained emotional attachment” to their memories that they don’t want to see anything change. But, Tremaine said, she expects to see the company continue to examine old tropes that are no longer acceptable.
And if you really want to be triggered, here's part of the same article, this time from the writer at wapo:

For now, there’s a laundry list of other nominees for eventual updates: the Peter Pan ride for stereotypical depictions of Indigenous people; a ride in Epcot’s Mexico area that includes broad stereotypes; Dumbo, which is based on a movie that includes racist tropes. Fan sites circulate longer lists of what rides might be under the microscope next, occasionally with outraged remarks: It’s a Small World, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree.
Disney isn’t saying what is next, but the company has dedicated a team to making sure that updates are done right.
“You create experiences that will make people feel welcome, seen and heard and to let them know that their stories are just as important,” Carmen Smith, creative development and inclusion strategies executive for Walt Disney Imagineering, said in a video. “And so my responsibility is to look at what do we have now and does it resonate with our guest in making them more reflective of the world we live in.”

MoonRakerSCM

It's only "not a big deal" and "not an issue" at the moment because consent isn't a push button topic for people right now, race is.

But don't worry, when the social media mob decides it's time to move on to the next topic to be outraged about, it will come. It always does.

DanielBB8

It a constant trope to blame the reaction on Fox News when many news media reported on it. The reaction is now politicized into liberal and conservative when it’s much more. Cancel culture and Woke are applied even more on Liberal and Progressive adherents.

For an article to say it’s a fairy tale and not a life lesson, it could have ended there, but many here are constantly saying Snow White is an example of consent when it isn’t.

This is a snow ball and avalanche on the cultural wars. Nothing on Disney is safe from cancellation. That’s what you call it if they want Ideas to be expunged. As if you don’t know, a kiss can be permissible when there’s no explicit consent.

PiratesMansion

It's only "not a big deal" and "not an issue" at the moment because consent isn't a push button topic for people right now, race is.

But don't worry, when the social media mob decides it's time to move on to the next topic to be outraged about, it will come. It always does.
Consent isn't a push button topic right now?

MeToo wasn't that long ago! So far as I know, the conversations regarding that have not ended.

MoonRakerSCM

Absolutely, but right now race is a bigger topic for people as exampled by the most recent riots and ongoing demonstrations related to it. Once the social media mob has decided that they've had their fix of this for the time being, they will go right back to the me too issue and only then will the few naysayers about this say "absolutely the ride is an issue and should be removed/changed" instead of currently ignoring it as "winged junk".

DanielBB8

Aren’t we forgetting the full story background? Snow White is a Princess and Minor and she can’t accept a kiss from the Prince without permission from the Queen who is also her step parent and guardian. However, we all know she’ll ascend the throne and she can become Queen as a minor and when that happens, she is the law. She can order kisses from the Prince.
Modern consent rules are not an exact match for the monarchy.

Californian Elitist

Consent isn't a push button topic right now?

MeToo wasn't that long ago! So far as I know, the conversations regarding that have not ended.
And Me Too isn’t the only anti-sexual assault movement that’s occurred. It’s one of many (I also briefly touch on this in my thesis lol). Take Back the Night started in the 70s and is ongoing.

People tend to think that current trends in society are new, but they rarely are. Things like consent, race, censorship, sexual assault, etc. have ALWAYS been hot topics and things of concern. The idea of “cancel culture,” has been a thing for eons (it just has a different name). Same with political correctness. People have been talking about how folks find the bad in everything nowadays. A psychologist back in the 50s named Frederic Wertham wrote a book about the dangers of reading comics and how they somehow cause delinquency and homosexuality. People today would probably agree that his take was far-fetched, but once again, it’s an example of people looking at things and critiquing them.

None of this is new. Things get recycled over time, all the time.

DanielBB8

I’m pretty sure the evil Queen fired her ethics advisers or she never had any.

Hollywood only got around to handling the issue. The casting couch is well known.

Stevek

And Me Too isn’t the only anti-sexual assault movement that’s occurred. It’s one of many (I also briefly touch on this in my thesis lol). Take Back the Night started in the 70s and is ongoing.

People tend to think that current trends in society are new, but they rarely are. Things like consent, race, censorship, sexual assault, etc. have ALWAYS been hot topics and things of concern. The idea of “cancel culture,” has been a thing for eons (it just has a different name). Same with political correctness. People have been talking about how folks find the bad in everything nowadays. A psychologist back in the 50s named Frederic Wertham wrote a book about the dangers of reading comics and how they somehow cause delinquency and homosexuality. People today would probably agree that his take was far-fetched, but once again, it’s an example of people looking at things and critiquing them.

None of this is new. Things get recycled over time, all the time.
Recycled and due to social media and more outlets now, amplified far more than before.

el_super

...they will go right back to the me too issue and only then will the few naysayers about this say "absolutely the ride is an issue and should be removed/changed" instead of currently ignoring it as "winged junk".

What's wrong with acknowledging that something should be changed when enough voices speak up against it? Isn't that essentially how democracy works? I haven't seen anyone here advocate for removing the ride, or the scene, right now, but doesn't it stand to reason that if this becomes a wider topic, it should be considered?

Californian Elitist

Recycled and due to social media and more outlets now, amplified far more than before.
Yes, I was meaning to mention social media. Social media has a lot to do with why some of us feel like the things happening around us are new. Everything is recorded and documented much quicker now and it's constantly in our faces.

el_super

I’m glad you understand cancellation is real.

Did I ever imply otherwise? Society has the right to dictate what is and isn't acceptable within society.

And yet still, the only calls for cancellation in this thread are those calling for the discussions to stop.

CaptinEO

It a constant trope to blame the reaction on Fox News when many news media reported on it. The reaction is now politicized into liberal and conservative when it’s much more. Cancel culture and Woke are applied even more on Liberal and Progressive adherents.

For an article to say it’s a fairy tale and not a life lesson, it could have ended there, but many here are constantly saying Snow White is an example of consent when it isn’t.

This is a snow ball and avalanche on the cultural wars. Nothing on Disney is safe from cancellation. That’s what you call it if they want Ideas to be expunged. As if you don’t know, a kiss can be permissible when there’s no explicit consent.
Thank you, this sums up the entire situation incredibly well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom