News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

180º

I believe the implication in the film is that she is more in a comatose state than actually dead, because the spell is called Sleeping Death, so that implies to some degree that she wasn't actually dead, just presumed so. What that means for her long-term prospects had Snow Prince not kissed her, I don't know lol.

I remember being a kid and thinking she was dead. But I got older and realized that yes, Disney implies that she’s in a coma-like state. There’s a reference to her as “the maiden who slept in a glass coffin.” They also indicate that it’s been many months since she bit into the apple, with the seasons changing over the text in the film. If she was actually dead, she would have decayed, and yet she doesn’t lol.

Interestingly, the film explicitly tells us she's alive while under the "Sleeping Death." The queen intends to kill her, but it's not the poison apple that does it. She's counting on the dwarfs to mistake her for dead, and "She'll be buried alive!"

BURIEEEDDDDD ALLLLIIIIIVVE

Californian Elitist

Interestingly, the film explicitly tells us she's alive while under the "Sleeping Death." The queen intends to kill her, but it's not the poison apple that does it. She's counting on the dwarfs to mistake her for dead, and "She'll be buried alive!"

😂😂😂😂

This movie is very disturbing. The “buried alive” part escaped my memory until I re-watched the movie last year. What was wrong with that woman? Haha.

RunningKoen

😂😂😂😂

This movie is very disturbing. The “buried alive” part escaped my memory until I re-watched the movie last year. What was wrong with that woman? Haha.

Well, it's necessary for the plot, isn't it?

A kiss, with or without consent, wouldn't matter if the apple had killed her.

The story needs a coma-like princess that still can be saved. The Queen needs her dead.
So there's a chain reaction solution to work towards that.

Nonetheless, it's quite creative and *slightly* disturbing.
I'm more amazed how I totally missed out on this aswell when I was younger.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Well, she originally tried to kill guests on the ride with a giant gemstone/boulder. I think she must like the idea of killing people with “earth elements”.
That part, too! She yells "I'll crush their bones!" as she tries to get the boulder to move. She takes Karen-ism to a completely different level.

Like...relax.
Well, it's necessary for the plot, isn't it?

A kiss, with or without consent, wouldn't matter if the apple had killed her.

The story needs a coma-like princess that still can be saved. The Queen needs her dead.
So there's a chain reaction solution to work towards that.

Nonetheless, it's quite creative and *slightly* disturbing.
I'm more amazed how I totally missed out on this aswell when I was younger.
I was only referring to her over-the-top commentary and behavior. I know about the other stuff lol.

RunningKoen

That part, too! She yells "I'll crush their bones!" as she tries to get the boulder to move. She takes Karen-ism to a completely different level.

Like...relax.

I was only referring to her over-the-top commentary and behavior. I know about the other stuff lol.

Some extra attention to that part of the plot?

Villains over-explain their evil plans is a thing. And a great source of parodies.

Animaniac93-98

😂😂😂😂

She also wanted to put Snow's heart in a display box, just cause.

Snow White is full of morbid imagery, and that's why I love it.

The first three features were made at a time when Disney was trying to match the level of scares of then current live-action horror movies. In a way, Snow White is just as much a Universal Monster-style classic as any other kind of movie landmark.

But it also has hummable, sometimes romantic melodies and plenty of slapstick. It's kind of an emotional roller coaster, but still satisfying. That combined with the great drawn/painted artwork is why it holds up over 80 years later.

Castle Cake Apologist

I know this is one of the scarier scenes, but it's always wonderful to see what a beautifully drawn piece of art this film is. The mood as she rows through that swamp is just perfection.

But damn, she cray.

Californian Elitist

I've been watching through the animated features on Disney+ during quarantine, and it's wild how disturbing so many parts of the first few films were!
Absolutely. I’ve said this before, but I believe Snow White should be classified as horror. I tried to watch it with one of my nephews once and he kindly asked that I put on another film after the forest scene.

The donkey transformation scene in Pinocchio still disturbs me. I think what takes the cake for me personally is the scene in Sleeping Beauty where Maleficent hypnotizes her into following the orb up the stairs.

The Aracuan Bird

Absolutely. I’ve said this before, but I believe Snow White should be classified as horror. I tried to watch it with one of my nephews once and he kindly asked that I put on another film after the forest scene.

The donkey transformation scene in Pinocchio still disturbs me. I think what takes the cake for me personally is the scene in Sleeping Beauty where Maleficent hypnotizes her into following the orb up the stairs.
The movie “Snow White” is barely about Snow White the character. Half of the time she’s being traumatized, or having fun with the Dwarfs and animals. When she isn’t there, we’re being traumatized by the Witch, or having a break with the Dwarfs. The two culminate in the climax of the film, and it’s intense.

TP2000

Well, considering none of that was in the article whatsoever, we're going to go ahead and revoke your summarizing privileges.
I read the article. I re-read the consent parts twice, because I was laughing out loud at it and enjoying a Cognac. 🤣
Glad you finally decided to show up in here 2 days into a discussion so you could stir the pot a little more with your usual ridiculous posting style. :rolleyes:

What is the hourly workload I must agree to be here to satisfy my posting requirements? I've been very busy the past week or two and haven't checked in here for several days. I also have a lot of social/travel engagements planned through mid June. Do I need to run that schedule by you for approval before I post again?

I mean, it is truly incredible that you managed to put a link to an article that you've clearly not read right in your post.

Once again, I read the article before I commented on it. I also linked to it in my post in case anyone wanted to also read it, just cause I'm friendly like that. And more importantly, the article speaks for itself and is hilariously pompous and bizarre. Like this little sentence from the author...

"Haven't we already agreed that consent in early Disney movies is a major issue? That teaching kids that kissing, when it hasn't been established if both parties are willing to engage, is not OK?"

Huh? What planet is she living on? And who the heck is "we" that have allegedly all decided en masse that "consent in early Disney movies is a major issue". I don't remember voting on that ever, and I've been online for decades.

I assume the "we" she refers to are her stylish readers who know they are very, very good people and much better at being humans than the people who shop at WalMart or vote differently than her. But still, that's a pretty broad swipe at defining a "we" in her article.

The SFGate author is a caricature of a crazy San Francisco liberal railing at pretty girls who get kissed by hot guys. 🤣

"Prince Charming, I want you to promise me, if I'm ever on life support some day, please kiss me, alright?"

Good one! Isn't it amazing how people now think old literature and art should be edited for their modern viewing pleasure?

It's fascinating to watch those on the far left become so enamored of censorship, banning books, sanitizing history, tearing down murals and art, re-writing literature and reframing thoughts, etc. They used to be against all that stuff in the 1960's, but times sure have changed. A refurbished C Ticket at Disneyland isn't even safe.

One of my favorite 1960's movies is Fahrenheit 451. I remember owning it on VHS in the 1980's and thinking "How silly, that could never happen in America!". Suddenly, 40 years later.... well, here we are. Railing against a princess getting kissed in a fairytale. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Practical Pig

I think I'm going to give Snow White a rewatch tonight. It's been too long.

Last night I watched Sleeping Beauty, a film based in a fairy-tale heritage that in an earlier version has the enchanted sleeping princess impregnated by a random wandering king who wanders by, does his nonconsensual thing ("...gathers the first fruits of love."), and then wanders away leaving her to give birth in her sleep and wake up bewildered with twins, one of which revived her by trying to suckle on her finger, drawing out the splinter of flax which in that version was the instrument of her enchantment. The past history of the folklore behind these early films is fascinating..

TP2000

I think I'm going to give Snow White a rewatch tonight. It's been too long.

Last night I watched Sleeping Beauty, a film based in a fairy-tale heritage that in an earlier version has the enchanted sleeping princess impregnated by a random wandering king who wanders by, does nonconsensual his thing ("...gathers the first fruits of love."), and then wanders away leaving her to give birth in her sleep and wake up bewildered with twins, one of which revived her by trying to suckle on her finger, drawing out the splinter of flax which in that version was the instrument of her enchantment. The past history of the folklore behind these early films is fascinating..

My God. Is that really the original plotline of Sleeping Beauty? o_O

Or is that the version only available on one of those adult channels way up the dial in the 800's that you have to pay extra for?

Either way, I know of a few ladies in San Francisco who are not going to approve.

The Aracuan Bird

Or is that the version only available on one of those adult channels way up the dial in the 800's that you have to pay extra for?

Either way, I know of a few ladies in San Francisco who are not going to approve.
I’m sure they could retheme the castle to one of the newer, more inclusive princesses. Like Elsa or Moana.

Practical Pig

Many of these traditional tales have deep roots below and many branches above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom