News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Giants14

Frankly, Snow White should be thanking that beautiful hunky Patriarchal man. Regardless of whether she gave "consent" or not, it doesn't matter. You get kissed by the hunk or ya dead. Take your bloody pick.
To be fair i am waiting on the incredibles suicide argument

'I didnt want to be saved'

A doctor or paramedic saving someone's life through CPR - 'I didnt consent for you to give me the 'kiss of life'

TP2000

Nope. Must be verbal consent. Preferably written in stone if at all possible
And then notarized and signed by the Dean of Women.

Do they still have Women's Deans at American colleges? Probably not. That may be the problem.

No one is up in arms.

Actually, this is making national news. Perhaps not on the channels or outlets you watch, but since I tune in to a broad array of thought from the left and right I have seen this mentioned repeatedly in the last 24 hours by national commentators on the right.

Here's a favorite, from very successful conservative commentator Michael Knowles. Not because I like him personally, I actually disagree with him about as often as I agree. But on this one, he had a really funny line that made me laugh out loud when he said.... "I think given the choice of remaining permanently under an evil spell, and getting kissed by a hot guy, I'm pretty sure Snow White would choose the hot guy." That's a great line! 🤣

To his credit, Mr. Knowles did more than just read "the headlines". He actually read several complete paragraphs of this ridiculous Woke journalists eye-rolling nonsense from San Francisco...

Californian Elitist

Do they still have Women's Deans at American colleges? Probably not. That may be the problem.

Actually, this is making national news. Perhaps not on the channels or outlets you watch, but since I tune in to a broad array of thought from the left and right I have seen this mentioned repeatedly in the last 24 hours by national commentators on the right.

Here's a favorite, from very successful conservative commentator Michael Knowles. Not because I like him personally, I actually disagree with him about as often as I agree. But on this one, he had a really funny line that made me laugh out loud when he said.... "I think given the choice of remaining permanently under an evil spell, and getting kissed by a hot guy, I'm pretty sure Snow White would choose the hot guy." That's a great line! 🤣

To his credit, Mr. Knowles did more than just read "the headlines". He actually read several complete paragraphs of this ridiculous Woke journalists eye-rolling nonsense from San Francisco...

I was specifically about the people commenting in this thread.

TP2000

I'm just not getting it.

I can summarize.

Crazy Leftist in San Francisco who hasn't had a date in years gets all upset because a passed out Snow White gets kissed (closed-mouth, hands at sides, barely First Base) by a Hot Prince as the grand finale' to a kiddy ride at Disneyland. The crazy Leftist claims it's rape and that the Hot Prince should have gotten written consent approved by either the County or the Dorm Housemother before they both agreed to kiss each other. And Disneyland should have shut down the ride if they couldn't work a consent agreement into the C Ticket plotline.

Then a few folks here claimed that the San Francisco nutjob who used her prominent journalism mouthpiece to complain about a ride at Disneyland (because God knows there are no other problems in the world besides refurbished C Tickets) wasn't actually complaining about anything. And anyone who criticizes her column in SFGate.com is making stuff up and she said no such thing about Snow White and mostly her column was about the late spring care and feeding of Azaleas in the San Francisco peninsula and East Bay micro-climate. What Snow White? No one said anything about Snow White!

At least, that's about what I can figure after 4 minutes of reading/skimming during a late night Cognac. Maybe in the light of day and sober it might make more sense?

Last edited:

TP2000

I was specifically about the people commenting in this thread.

Oh. You're comment made it seem as though you thought no one outside our tiny community here cared about this. It's making national news. And mostly people are laughing at the woman who thinks Snow White gets raped at the end of the Disneyland ride.

TP2000

They re all over the place. Snow White the ride and the movie are fine and neither have a consent issue and they apparently don’t agree with the article but are up in arms when we condemn the article and are upset we don’t want to use Snow White the ride (which they say is fine) as a ridiculous platform for teaching our kids about consent. Then in addition want to minimize these article as some one off thing when we know news outlets are reporting about it. At that point it doesn’t matter where it originated and begins to spiral out of control.

Yup. That's about what I got out of the last 20 or so comments on this thread. Nicely summarized. :)

RunningKoen

Oh. You're comment made it seem as though you thought no one outside our tiny community here cared about this. It's making national news. And mostly people are laughing at the woman who thinks Snow White gets raped at the end of the Disneyland ride.
It's making international news somehow. (Well, at least at one country other than the USA).

Several Dutch news sites also had an article about the SFgate column and/or the consent thing in the movie, it got trending on twitter and suddenly a lot people gave their opinion.

That online debate is quite similar to the one over here.

I'm just here for the drama :)

Castle Cake Apologist

I can summarize.

Crazy Leftist in San Francisco who hasn't had a date in years gets all upset because a passed out Snow White gets kissed (closed-mouth, hands at sides, barely First Base) by a Hot Prince as the grand finale' to a kiddy ride at Disneyland. The crazy Leftist claims it's rape and that the Hot Prince should have gotten written consent approved by either the County or the Dorm Housemother before they both agreed to kiss each other. And Disneyland should have shut down the ride if they couldn't work a consent agreement into the C Ticket plotline.

Well, considering none of that was in the article whatsoever, we're going to go ahead and revoke your summarizing privileges. Glad you finally decided to show up in here 2 days into a discussion so you could stir the pot a little more with your usual ridiculous posting style. :rolleyes:

I mean, it is truly incredible that you managed to put a link to an article that you've clearly not read right in your post. The only opinions the author offers on the ride (in her opinion piece review, not her hard-biting national new expose) is that it's beautiful and very well done. She never calls for the ride to be shut down or says that the prince raped Snow. As we've had to explain over and over and over to those of you who are choosing to get so upset about an article you haven't read, the author is simply expressing surprise that Disney chose to include the scene in their new ride.

lazyboy97o

Well, considering none of that was in the article whatsoever, we're going to go ahead and revoke your summarizing privileges. Glad you finally decided to show up in here 2 days into a discussion so you could stir the pot a little more with your usual ridiculous posting style. :rolleyes:

I mean, it is truly incredible that you managed to put a link to an article that you've clearly not read right in your post. The only opinions the author offers on the ride (in her opinion piece review, not her hard-biting national new expose) is that it's beautiful and very well done. She never calls for the ride to be shut down or says that the prince raped Snow. As we've had to explain over and over and over to those of you who are choosing to get so upset about an article you haven't read, the author is simply expressing surprise that Disney chose to include the scene in their new ride.
Leave it to Troy to add a big dose of misogyny.

Castle Cake Apologist

For those among us who either cannot read or simply refuse to... here are the ONLY parts that mention the kiss scene in an overall very positive 10 paragraph review of the new ride. You'll notice zero calls for the ride to be shut down or changed again, and zero mention of rape or even rape culture. It's almost like you guys are getting outraged at "the left" and "cancel culture," when neither have anything to do with anything, as usual.

The new ride includes a more comprehensive storyline — but that's also the problem. The new grand finale of Snow White's Enchanted Wish is the moment when the Prince finds Snow White asleep under the Evil Queen's spell and gives her "true love's kiss" to release her from the enchantment. A kiss he gives to her without her consent, while she's asleep, which cannot possibly be true love if only one person knows it's happening.
Haven't we already agreed that consent in early Disney movies is a major issue? That teaching kids that kissing, when it hasn't been established if both parties are willing to engage, is not OK? It's hard to understand why the Disneyland of 2021 would choose to add a scene with such old fashioned ideas of what a man is allowed to do to a woman, especially given the company's current emphasis on removing problematic scenes from rides like Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain. Why not re-imagine an ending in keeping with the spirit of the movie and Snow White's place in the Disney canon, but that avoids this problem?
Still, with the twinkling lights all around and the gorgeous special effects, that final scene is beautifully executed — as long as you're watching it as a fairy tale, not a life lesson.

Also, the article was written by two women, not one "crazy leftist."

Here are their other articles, you'll notice nothing far left-leaning or calling for anything to be canceled. One of them is literally just the Disneyland reporter for the SFGate.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Considering only two paragraphs of a ten paragraph positive review had anything to do with the kiss scene, it seems odd that he "read several complete paragraphs of this ridiculous Woke journalists eye-rolling nonsense from San Francisco." Must have been really hard for him to do. Are we considering two paragraphs "several" now?

Imagine getting that worked up about two paragraphs of opinion from the Disneyland Editor of the SFGate. How pathetic.

Castle Cake Apologist

Yes, but as we’ve learned, women only matter if they dress nice and do as the men say.

The best part about all of this is how clear it is that none of them have read the article they're all so mad about, and apparently are arguing under the impression that it was some long expose on rape culture at Disneyland, when it's literally just a really positive review of the new ride that mentioned one aspect of it they found odd.

ToTBellHop

I will be curious to see how Disney grapples with this in the forthcoming remake. “True love’s kiss” is a fairytale and Disney trope. The Prince can’t really ask her if she wants a kiss, but perhaps they can use the extended screen time to increase intersections between the two earlier in the film so it’s clearly consensual? Either that or you pull a Beauty and the Beast or Frozen and make “love” the pre-requisite for coming out of a coma, which could still trigger some...

britain

I will be curious to see how Disney grapples with this in the forthcoming remake. “True love’s kiss” is a fairytale and Disney trope. The Prince can’t really ask her if she wants a kiss, but perhaps they can use the extended screen time to increase intersections between the two earlier in the film so it’s clearly consensual? Either that or you pull a Beauty and the Beast or Frozen and make “love” the pre-requisite for coming out of a coma, which could still trigger some...

"Prince Charming, I want you to promise me, if I'm ever on life support some day, please kiss me, alright?"

lazyboy97o

The could go with the Grimms’ ending where a piece of apple is stuck in her throat. It becomes dislodged when the prince is moving her body, which he came across in the woods and had to have…

mickEblu

Nothing they can do in the movie can make it clearly consensual as “proven” by members of this thread. If me kissing my wife while she’s sleeping is not consensual what could they possibly do in the movie?

Seriously though, I’d like to think this is some odd phase that society will look back on and laugh off in the near future. There is an ebb and flow to everything. Eventually people will get sick of cancel culture and things will turn the other way. And when it effects a company’s $$ that’s when we can be sure we’ll see the end of it. This Snow White saga is a good start and ridiculous enough to get things to start changing the tide.

mickEblu

The best part about all of this is how clear it is that none of them have read the article they're all so mad about, and apparently are arguing under the impression that it was some long expose on rape culture at Disneyland, when it's literally just a really positive review of the new ride that mentioned one aspect of it they found odd.

What’s clear is there are certain people here who don’t care about talking about Disney/ Disneyland so much as they want to talk politics.

Let’s see- one side is talking about the movie/ ride Snow White and how this article is ridiculous and how the movie/ ride are fine.

The other side is talking about our reaction, consent in general and how we should use Snow White to talk to our kids about consent. Perhaps the Disneyland forum isn’t what you’re looking for? Is there like a CNN forum here or something? Because apparently you guys in your convoluted message are saying the ride/ movie are fine so I’m not sure what your point is or why you re still talking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom