News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
I may be in the minority, but I think the changes are fantastic. The projections and lighting effects add to the physical sets and aren’t overpowering. This is how Disney should be using projections.

I agree that the ending feels rushed, but I think it flows well enough given the space constraints. It’s way better than Scary Adventures was, at any rate.

DrAlice

Overall, I like what they've done. My one criticism is lies with the animation of Snow White eating the apple. I think it should've ended with her hand on the floor (like the movie). If it did, I think the flow at the back half of the ride would make more sense. The exploding mirror bit kind of breaks the narrative for me.

Having said that, I think the ending works a heck of a lot better than what was there before. Looking forward to seeing it in person!

fctiger

Reading some of the comments here, I can conclude that some people just hate happiness and joy. Probably some just hate changes. Probably some are just dark and just wants to watch the world burn.

In my opinion, especially given the space they could work on, this was well done. It could use some track extension (unlikely cause they can't extend the showbuilding) to add a scene or two but overall I like it.

People have been whining for a full year now for DL to open....just so they can whine all day about it when it does. ;)

mharrington

I just saw the video, and here's what I have to say...

First, I don't quite understand "Enchanted Wish" in the ride? Why couldn't they go with just "Adventures"? Or, as a nod to history, "Snow White and Her Adventures"? Or maybe they could go with "Snow White's Enchanted Adventures"? I don't know.

It is nice to know that the Queen is still in the window above the ride entrance. They changed the style of the owl perched on the safety sign, but it still clearly resembles the one from "Sleeping Beauty".

I also liked that they retained the Queen outside the cottage. I also like that the Dwarfs are back in the mine once again. It reminds me of how it looked in the original 1955 version (though obviously far more improved):
fetch

I have to wonder if they looked to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride for inspiration, particularly in the depiction of Dopey with the jewels over his eyes.

Did they move the original poison apple book from the queue to the Witch's cauldron? Because it looks like they did.

I'm also a little surprised by the random appearance of the new mirror shattering as Snow White eats the apple inside of it. Without giving anything away, it reminds me a little of the Twisted Tales version of "Snow White" called "Mirror, Mirror":
5186XPQ72wL.jpg

I'm also not sure what to make of them scrapping pretty much the entirety of the scary forest and cramming the Dwarfs (still the 1983 originals, thankfully) on a new hill as they chase the Witch up it.

I'm also a little disappointed that the Dwarfs don't appear in the final new closing. Even the post-1994 version at WDW had that. At the very least include Dopey:
maxresdefault.jpg

1d8ab44eea5fdda5a20e33afbf5c5310.jpg

Those images are from the closing scene from Paris' and Florida's versions, respectively.

I'm also a little intrigued at the myriad of book pages scattered throughout the ride. It kind of reminds me of WDW's Winnie the Pooh ride.

On the whole, I have mixed feelings. I'm actually a little surprised I wasn't more disappointed.

And now, Yesterworld needs to revise its video on the Snow White ride:

KIGhostGuy

A design decision that fascinates me was including a break room half the size of the dream sequence, along with a pair of bathrooms, in that same building.

It’s interesting to compare the layouts of the two US versions. All those tight turns are impossible because of those bulky, three-row cars.
View attachment 552536
View attachment 552538
Does anyone have the CBJ theater blueprints? Would be cool to lay that on top of the Pooh ones and see how the ride fits.

BasiltheBatLord

I only watched the POV once on my phone, but it looks to me more like a “major refurb” a la Alice than an entire new version of the attraction.

Sad that the forest is gone though. There’s always Tokyo, for now.

Californian Elitist

For the record, I haven't watched the video, but I do think it's a little ironic that people are complaining about the rushed ending when the previous ending was literally a painted sign that said "And they lived happily ever after!"

It would have to be a pretty bad ending to be worse than that!
Agreed. Despite the weird order, this new ending is an improvement over what was there before.

Practical Pig

Overall, I like what they've done. My one criticism is lies with the animation of Snow White eating the apple. I think it should've ended with her hand on the floor (like the movie). If it did, I think the flow at the back half of the ride would make more sense. The exploding mirror bit kind of breaks the narrative for me.

Having said that, I think the ending works a heck of a lot better than what was there before. Looking forward to seeing it in person!
This is pretty much my take on it too. Her hand falling to the floor would have helped the telescoping of the storytelling that follows a lot. I also think that the framing of that projection in a misplaced magic mirror is a weak point of this new version,

But overall I think it is a welcome upgrade, and I expect that the riding through the new finale experience will be a much stronger experience in person than on video, of course.

George Lucas on a Bench

For the record, I haven't watched the video, but I do think it's a little ironic that people are complaining about the rushed ending when the previous ending was literally a painted sign that said "And they lived happily ever after!"

Frankly, I thought the 1983-2020 ending was amazing. I don't care what any of these jokers think. It's a bloody spookhouse ride and the sudden ending was perfectly suited to it. Just thinking about that version with the crude forest sequence with moving tree limbs, bats on strings, gators opening wide and the witch being hit by a bolt of strobe lighting just makes me hate this redo. The old version was one of the best rides at DL.

Inspired Figment

Agreed. Disneyland's Pooh is the weakest of the three. And that's not saying much because Florida's version ain't that great.

Only Tokyo has an impressive Pooh ride, and it's hugely successful at storytelling and being immersive (before Chapek sullied that otherwise fine adjective).

Shoehorning the Pooh ride into the massive double-theater Country Bear Jamboree seems to have been it's downfall. The scale is so big, but they have nothing to do but go in a big U-shaped circuit through that building. You can literally tell you are just going to the back of the building and then making a 180 degree turn and heading back out. That's not good design. It fails.
Personally, I think the better plan would’ve been to have an animatronic Winnie the Pooh show in one theatre, and keep the other one the Country Bears. Not sure why they didn’t do that but oh well. Then again, you could make that very same point with Mr. Toad since it had 2 different tracks. They certainly could’ve kept one I think and had a Pooh ride on the other.

Animaniac93-98

It's the opposite problem now. Instead of a proper climax with no resolution, it's almost all happy ending after the dungeon with a ridiculously clumsy climax to wrap up whatever kind of plot points the ride tried to get across.

Animaniac93-98

Personally, I think the better plan would’ve been to have an animatronic Winnie the Pooh show in one theatre, and keep the other one the Country Bears. Not sure why they didn’t do that but oh well. Then again, you could make that very same point with Mr. Toad since it had 2 different tracks. They certainly could’ve kept one I think and had a Pooh ride on the other. But oh well

I would have supported an "Ichabod" side and a "Mr. Toad" side, but oh well...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom