News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

truecoat

My parents let me go to Disneyland alone once when I was 9 or 10. A part of me thinks they were crazy and another part me is envious. Envious that they felt confident enough to do that for whatever reason.
That reminds me of a trip I took when I was 12. I rode on a greyhound bus by myself 800 miles to visit my friends for the summer. I can't imagine putting any of my kids on a bus by themselves but I guess my parents trusted me to do it. 1977 was a great year.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
That reminds me of a trip I took when I was 12. I rode on a greyhound bus by myself 800 miles to visit my friends for the summer. I can't imagine putting any of my kids on a bus by themselves but I guess my parents trusted me to do it. 1977 was a great year.
1601067846471.png

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I think that is why i am disappointed in the change they are doing, The scary aspect of the ride is what made the ride thrilling for young children and at the same time is what will create mental memories or memorable pictures. to me the scary scenes in Snow white are similar to the first time a young child is finally able to ride a coaster. It is a sense of accomplishment that you were able to go thru it and conquer the fear.
I doubt passing by another scene of happy ever after will be remembered and cherished as much.
This 100%

mickEblu

That’s awesome! Yeah I can’t imagine it either.

As they say... those were the days

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Yup. The scary/ weird stuff sticks. The talking skull (and drops) on POTC, hearing the Yeti growls from Fantasyland below and the Supreme Leader from Captain EO are some of my strongest most vivid memories of being a kid at DL.
Agreed. Doing something counter to what is expected makes the experience unique and memorable. Why Disney insists on doubling down on the cutesy stuff is beyond me. It's so commonplace. There needs to be a counterpart, a yin to the yang to keep the experience engaging and balanced. Take away the scary stuff and your left with a one-note attraction. In days of old back when Imagineering meant something... they use to think about those kind of things.

As is the likely case with this facelift; nowadays Imagineering scrubs everything to the point of it's bare essentials. A soulless "design checklist" with a plastered, toddler-approved veneer of happiness incorporated into every corner of the attraction to ensure that no child is frightened at the "happiest place on Earth". Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Agreed. Doing something counter to what is expected makes the experience unique and memorable. Why Disney insists on doubling down on the cutesy stuff is beyond me. It's so common place. There needs to be a counterpart, a yin to the yang to keep the experience engaging and balanced. Take away the scary stuff and your left with a one-note attraction. In days of old back when Imagineering meant something... they use to think about those kind of things.

If you think about resort wide you have TOT that turned into GOTG:MB, a way less scary Snow White and soon a Princessified Splash Mountain.

britain

Ugh, Ghost Galaxy? An attraction I find to be appropriate at Uni, off tone for DL.

New Matterhorn has traded charming snow projections and crystals for violent tiger attack sound effects that are WAY TOO LOUD. It’s no fun anymore.

mickEblu

Ugh, Ghost Galaxy? An attraction I find to be appropriate at Uni, off tone for DL.

New Matterhorn has traded charming snow projections and crystals for violent tiger attack sound effects that are WAY TOO LOUD. It’s no fun anymore.

Of course. The old growl wasn’t “real” enough. Everything has to be hyper real now. Even in FANTASYland.

I do really like those lift hill projections and the new AAs though.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I didn't really care for the changes to the Matterhorn. The crude charming old effects felt more like Disneyland, the glowing red eye lightbulbs in the dark, the mannequins that looked like Jim Henson creatures, the fortress of solitude room. The new bits felt like they were from the Everest ride in Florida.

Meanwhile, the ride itself got dodgy new cars and felt like it was falling apart until it literally started falling apart last year.

D.Silentu

I didn't really care for the changes to the Matterhorn. The crude charming old effects felt more like Disneyland, the glowing red eye lightbulbs in the dark
If anything tended to startle me at Disneyland, it was that sudden growl in the darkness followed by glowing eyes. It is sorely missed. On that same note I remain baffled as to why the red eyes in the cave at Big Thunder Mountain also seem to have disappeared.

George Lucas on a Bench

If anything tended to startle me at Disneyland, it was that sudden growl in the darkness followed by glowing eyes. It is sorely missed. On that same note I remain baffled as to why the red eyes in the cave at Big Thunder Mountain also seem to have disappeared.

The crude classic charming glowing red eye effect has been replaced with darkness and plasma screens showing ice walls, and ridiculously loud THX certified sound that is deafening.

D.Silentu

The crude classic charming glowing red eye effect has been replaced with darkness and plasma screens showing ice walls, and ridiculously loud THX certified sound that is deafening.
The thing that gets to me about that deafening sound is that I'm almost certain it was intended to be a dimensional effect that portrayed the abominable snowman coming closer and closer to you. It doesn't work as intended and can be painful depending on where you sit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom