News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

swge

Funny since I always see a queue filled with families with children for decades now and everyone loves it because they get back in line for it. Kids love the scary aspects of the ride. Where does this sudden "protect the kids" from scary things come from lately? It's not healthy to shield developing kids from scary things. You need to stimulate all the emotions so they grow up to handle though and scary situations with confidence even when you don't have any control. As a kid I loved being scared by Gremlins, Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, roller coasters, and scary dark rides. Its when you treat kids like precious glass do they break. This is why giving every kid a participation trophy is bad. Kids love the way the ride has been, I know because I used to be one and loved the crap out of it for being soo different than the movie.
Your opinion is valid.

You loved the ride as a kid.

I also loved the ride as a kid.

Most kids do not enjoy the ride as we did.

As someone who worked operations in the land for years, as the source of any new information that's been presented in this thread, as someone who has spent hours and hours and hours in Snow on it's busiest days witnessing thousands of guests reactions first hand, I can factually and boldly say that your claims of "kids loving the ride the way it's been" is simply false.

The ride is changed. It's less scary. And the kids will love it. And you might too.

How much further should we continue?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Your opinion is valid.

You loved the ride as a kid.

I also loved the ride as a kid.

Most kids do not enjoy the ride as we did.

As someone who worked operations in the land for years, as the source of any new information that's been presented in this thread, as someone who has spent hours and hours and hours in Snow on it's busiest days witnessing thousands of guests reactions first hand, I can factually and boldly say that your claims of "kids loving the ride the way it's been" is simply false.

The ride is changed. It's less scary. And the kids will love it. And you might too.

How much further should we continue?
My point was there was zero reason to change it.

Animaniac93-98

Because Disney is changing to be more inclusive. From adding celebrations year round acknowledging different cultures, to removing Song of the South, and making this children's ride cater to.. you know, children. It's all in an attempt to have everybody enjoy each experience and to remove anything that could celebrate anything that excludes anybody. They've even just announced that they're adding "inclusive" to their existing 4 keys of company values. Being inclusive is the direction Disney is going in and its gonna look like a lot of additions and changes that will upset regressive fanboys/girls.

You keep saying that word, but don't really understand what it means.

Do all children react the same to the same things? Is it worth trying to appease one audience if it alienates another? Are the designers of all the other versions of the Snow White dark ride bad people for making something marketed as "scary"?

And Disney's inclusive initiative has nothing to do with making select rides more appealing to pre-schoolers. Suggesting it does dilutes its meaning.

George Lucas on a Bench

tenor (4).gif

swge

You keep saying that word, but don't really understand what it means.

Do all children react the same to the same things? Is it worth trying to appease one audience if it alienates another? Are the designers of all the other versions of the Snow White dark ride bad people for making something marketed as "scary"?

And Disney's inclusive initiative has nothing to do with making select rides more appealing to pre-schoolers. Suggesting it does dilutes its meaning.
You're right, all children do not react the same. But the majority of children reacted poorly which led to the changes.

Changing the attraction from scary to not so scary does not alienate any other audiences. People will still go on and still love it.

Nobody is a bad person for making something scary. They just won't meet their objective in creating a children's ride if that's their objective. Anaheim's current objective is to have a children's ride that a majority of children will enjoy, unlike its previous version.. hence the changes

Nobody said that their new initiative is to attract pre-schoolers.. its to be more inclusive. If you don't understand what that means, Meriam Webster has defined it as, "including everyone". Viva Navidad wasn't debuted to cater to preschoolers.. and neither will the new Tiana ride with it's 40 inch height requirement.

Rides with height requirements do exclude people who are not tall enough to ride.. for their own safety.. you know, so they live to see another day.

SplashGhost

Funny since I always see a queue filled with families with children for decades now and everyone loves it because they get back in line for it. Kids love the scary aspects of the ride. Where does this sudden "protect the kids" from scary things come from lately? It's not healthy to shield developing kids from scary things. You need to stimulate all the emotions so they grow up to handle though and scary situations with confidence even when you don't have any control. As a kid I loved being scared by Gremlins, Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, roller coasters, and scary dark rides. Its when you treat kids like precious glass do they break. This is why giving every kid a participation trophy is bad. Kids love the way the ride has been, I know because I used to be one and loved the crap out of it for being soo different than the movie.

I feel like the trend of protecting kids from anything scary really started in the 90s and has gotten worse since then. I recently saw an interview with Robert Englund promoting A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master on Nickelodeon from 1988. That was a reminder of how much times were different back then, since they would never dream of promoting a R rated slasher movie on a kids network in modern times. Kids loved Freddy though because they loved to experience things they were scary in a safe way. Experiencing things that are scary in safe ways is healthy and it is something that both kids and adults need.

I have seen a lot of PG rated horror movies from the 70s that were loaded with so much blood and gore that they make most modern R-rated horror movies look extremely tame and gentle in comparison.

Not every kid likes to be scared, but that doesn't mean everything needs to be sanitized for every kid. Let the kids that enjoy scary things, enjoy them. If a kid doesn't like Snow White's Scary Adventures, they don't have to ride it, but don't ruin it for the kids and adults that like it scary.

swge

I feel like the trend of protecting kids from anything scary really started in the 90s and has gotten worse since then. I recently saw an interview with Robert Englund promoting A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master on Nickelodeon from 1988. That was a reminder of how much times were different back then, since they would never dream of promoting a R rated slasher movie on a kids network in modern times. Kids loved Freddy though because they loved to experience things they were scary in a safe way. Experiencing things that are scary in safe ways is healthy and it is something that both kids and adults need.

I have seen a lot of PG rated horror movies from the 70s that were loaded with so much blood and gore that they make most modern R-rated horror movies look extremely tame and gentle in comparison.

Not every kid likes to be scared, but that doesn't mean everything needs to be sanitized for every kid. Let the kids that enjoy scary things, enjoy them. If a kid doesn't like Snow White's Scary Adventures, they don't have to ride it, but don't ruin it for the kids and adults that like it scary.
Very great and valid points.

mickEblu

I understand you completely. At the end of the day, Snow is being changed not for storytelling purposes.. the other dark rides also have their own similar issues w telling their stories as you mentioned. The attraction simply needs to be less scary, feature Snow White more, be more inclusive to children, and do it in a way that makes sense w the movie... and that's what they've done. Both my and your opinions on this specific topic don't even really matter bc while we all enjoy this attraction, its not intended for only us to enjoy... hence the changes.

The ride really doesn’t need anything. The imagineers need something to do and need to tinker with something. That’s it. The lines won’t be any longer after this redo after the first couple months. Kids still don’t know who Snow White is. So does Toad have a longer line then Snow White because kids just love that love able Toad? There are parts of Mr. Toads Wild that are also scary to children. Most of the old school dark rides Are scary to kids because they re dark and weird. The only thing that will happen after this refurb is a few more overprotective moms will now feel better about taking their kids on it.

mickEblu

I was watching Chucky alone in the dark at 7 years old and I haven’t killed anyone yet.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Child's Play 2 was one of the first very horror movies I saw around that age. I quickly fell in love with the safe thrills movies like that gave me.
Child's Play 2 may very well be the best horror sequel ever made. The first movie, they didn't know how popular Chucky would be. In #2 they took full advantage of it made him the star. It is creative, gory, suspensful, Chucky has funny one liners and my god that ending at the toy factory is fantastic. The set alone is impressive but they make full use of that set story wise.

lazyboy97o

There's no guarantee that the new version won't still scare children, or that they'll "love it".

When they toned down the WDW ride in 1994, people still complained it was scary.

The Snow White movie has been criticized as being "scary" for over 80 years. The "scary" stuff is part of the story. You can't leave it out.
See Stitch’s Great Escape. Still too scary for the little kids but also too dumb for those who enjoyed ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.

I’ll need to dig it up but I recall there being a great quote from Walt in The Animated Man about little kids being scared by Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

BasiltheBatLord

View attachment 500276

"This photo of Snow White's Scary Adventures was first published in the original WDW Pictorial Souvenir (1972). It's one of a handful of official shots that reflected the cool black light look of Snow White, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Peter Pan's Flight in their prime. Even though I’ve stared at it on and off since 1977, only 35 years later did it finally look to me like a composite shot. The ghostly shadow on the upper cottage wall in this image is positioned at an angle that the construct of the scene would have made unlikely, because the metal silhouette that made the shadow was mounted not on the top staircase landing (where the ghost starts here) but on a shelf across the second-story divide of the room. And while the ghost shown here does in fact appear to have horns, as one Dwarf calls out, the only version I can prove with video or photos had a hooded, hornless head shape (more images to follow below). So this particular ghost was probably drawn on top of, or laid over, a photo of the upper cottage wall that was shot under augmented lighting for purposes of an official photo that approximated the scene … otherwise the shadow would not have shown up at all and the wall would have the same blue glow that we see in unlit video of the scene. Not that it matters too much. If nothing else it's a fun angle on the dwarfs."

Not the one I'm thinking of. Someone got right up to the shadow and took a flash photo of it. Thought it was Passport to Dreams but don't see it on their Twitter.

SplashGhost

Child's Play 2 may very well be the best horror sequel ever made. The first movie, they didn't know how popular Chucky would be. In #2 they took full advantage of it made him the star. It is creative, gory, suspensful, Chucky has funny one liners and my god that ending at the toy factory is fantastic. The set alone is impressive but they make full use of that set story wise.

When I watch it nowadays, I still love it. It is probably my favorite Part 2 for a horror movie franchise. It took everything great about the first one and improved on it. Modern horror movies don't have anything that feels as big and exciting as that toy factory finale. Plus, Child's Play 2 is one of the most perfectly paced movies ever, not a single second is wasted in it. A lot of newer movies feel bloated, and a lot of filmmakers could learn from Child's Play 2 if they want an example of a tightly paced movie.

I really love the dark ride finale in 3, even if the rest of the movie is one of the weaker installments in the series. I really miss the 80s/early 90s era of horror movies where they went for a mix of fun and scary. A lot of more recent ones aren't much fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom