News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

Sharon&Susan

1994 WDW Snow White should've won an award for chattiest Fantasyland dark ride. Most of the dialogue was useless, repetitive, and stated the obvious. Did the Queen need to say multiple times that she's looking for Snow White? Did we need the huntsman to state that this is the running through the woods part? Did three completely still Dwarves statues need to state basically the same tripe three times about looking for the Queen?

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

FxaL.gif

choco choco

Will it still be grandfathered into all of the old ADA/ OSHA laws or would this change that? I’m guessing no, as long as the tracks stay in place and ride system stays the same.

This makes me wonder about Pinocchio’s Daring Journey.

Which part of the attraction is non-compliant to current laws? It's a very simple, flat, dark ride.

choco choco

Are we to assume that this permit covers most/all of the work? If so, I wouldn't expect much out of this "major" refurbishment. Although $445,000 is a hefty sum to normal people like you and me, it really doesn't go very far on the commercial/industrial scale that DL requires, and even less when WDI's bloated budgets get involved.

As a point of reference, that amount is less than 1/500th what was spent on Pixar Pier.

From the description, it sounds like some upgrades to structural and technical elements and not a whole lot else. To make any substantive changes (other than fairly minor stuff, like the projection mapping that was added years ago), I would think they would need to be at least in the $5 million ballpark.

I'm sure there will be plenty of "invisible" work to keep the attraction running for years to come, but my expectations for this refurbishment are anything but "major"

At that price point, I'm guessing WDI isn't involved at all and it's just TDA spending for some building and show maintenance.

mharrington

This may be asking too much, but is there a chance that they will add more of Snow White to the ride somehow (like they did with Alice when that ride was updated in 2014)? The only time she actually appears in the ride is in the opening scene in the cottage. Maybe they could alter the cottage scene near the end so that Snow White is in the doorway and the witch is looking away from the guests and offering her and not the guests the apple, not unlike a scene in the post-1994 Snow White ride at WDW:
1994_Snow_Whites_Adventures_0013_a.jpg

In fact, assuming that they have not scrapped the figures by now, they could even reuse both figures entirely.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
1994 WDW Snow White should've won an award for chattiest Fantasyland dark ride. And most of the dialogue was useless, repetitive, and stated the obvious. Did the Queen need to say multiple times that she's looking for Snow White? Did we need the huntsman to state that this is the running through the woods part? Did three completely still Dwarves statues need to state basically the same tripe three times about looking for the Queen?

Snow White was the Jack Sparrow of her day.

Mickeyboof

I hope it gets an ending like Paris’.

Paris’ Snow White, like most the Rides at that park, is actually a wonderful version. The lighting is superb, as is the movement of the trees and Snow White’s farewell finale above the exit tunnel of the ride.

I’m excited for this refurb. I hope it adds to the magic of the ride, as well as continues to be spooky.

wityblack

I know there were plans to refurb all of the dark rides back when Alice was being done. I'm curious if this will end up like the recent Winnie the Pooh refurb, or more like the Alice refurb. I would love for more life to be breathed into Snow White. I'm just waiting for a Mr. Toad refurb, I think some fun projections could really amp up the hell scene, and add some motion to the ride.

Princess Leia

Does anyone have an idea about how long this refurb will be? I’m going to Disneyland for the first time in early October, and I’d hate to miss this ride!

mharrington

If Alice and Peter Pan are any indication, my guess is that they will start the rehab on Snow White sometime in January or so and it will run about five or six months, reopening some time during the next summer season.

TP2000

I know there were plans to refurb all of the dark rides back when Alice was being done. I'm curious if this will end up like the recent Winnie the Pooh refurb, or more like the Alice refurb.

Thank you, I thought I was the only one who remembered that Disneyland had plans to rehab all the Fantasyland dark rides for the 60th. But Colglazier got cold feet and cut that budget and only did entertainment for the 60th instead.

It's hysterical that this minor rehab became a news item in the OC Register. Must have been a slow news day.

On the bright side, thank goodness Disneyland still has seven (7!) different dark rides like this to choose from (with an extra one over in DCA, just in case). What is WDW down to, about two (2) of these Walt Disney era dark rides? They've got Peter Pan and Pooh in all of WDW, and.... that's it.

Because they just don't have much space in WDW to do much else. :rolleyes:

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Thank you, I thought I was the only one who remembered that Disneyland had plans to rehab all the Fantasyland dark rides for the 60th. But Colglazier got cold feet and cut that budget and only did entertainment for the 60th instead.

It's hysterical that this minor rehab became a news item in the OC Register. Must have been a slow news day.

On the bright side, thank goodness Disneyland still has seven (7!) different dark rides like this to choose from (with an extra one over in DCA, just in case). What is WDW down to, about two (2) of these Walt Disney era dark rides? They've got Peter Pan and Pooh in all of WDW, and.... that's it.

Well yeah. It’s being taken up by the GOTG show building.

mickEblu

DCA has two. Or are we not counting Mermaid?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom