News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

lazyboy97o

Just like the Splash Mountain retheme!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

NOTE: I am not trying to imply that people offended by Splash Mountain are idiots. But the Splash Mountain situation was indeed the opinion (or idea, rather) of one guy that blew up and gained traction for some reason.
Please, just stop. I get that you hold this lie dear but it is just not true.

el_super

Maybe Snow White and Sleeping Beauty will be "cancelled" now. AKA you will have to find one of the 30 million home video copies to see it. That way it's erased from history forever!

If we're basing this off the SFGate article from yesterday, the writer isn't advocating that the characters be cancelled or that the ride be removed. They dared to suggest that a conversation needed to happen over the appropriateness of that scene to modern audiences, and they are right.

What is so strange about ignoring complaints like these over time, is the sudden shock that occurs when something gets removed and we're told "No one ever complained about it before..." Yes people did complain and yes these things take YEARS to manifest into actual action in the park.

Castle Cake Apologist

Just like the Splash Mountain retheme!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

NOTE: I am not trying to imply that people offended by Splash Mountain are idiots. But the Splash Mountain situation was indeed the opinion (or idea, rather) of one guy that blew up and gained traction for some reason.

Wait, what? That's not true at all.

truecoat

Animated GIF

Castle Cake Apologist

This and the fact that she’s singing about how much she “loves” the dude the whole movie. I guess consent has to be “day of?”

That's literally how consent works. Not even "day of," more "at the moment." Expressing interest or love for somebody is not the same as giving consent, and consent is not a lifetime pass lol.

Edit to add: I don't have any issue with the kiss scene within the context of the story/ride. Just pointing out some misconceptions about consent that seemed prevalent in the thread.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

You’re right. It’s gotta go.

I mean, I am right. You don't automatically get to kiss or sleep with somebody just because they expressed interest in you at some point. That's a pretty basic concept.

And as I edited my post to add, I have no problem with the scene from Snow White as it's within the context of a fairy tale. Just seemed like a lot of people in here were under the impression that expressing love for somebody is the same as consent, and it's not. At all.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I mean, I am right. You don't automatically get to kiss or sleep with somebody just because they expressed interest in you. That's a pretty basic concept.

And as I edited my post to add, I have no problem with the scene from Snow White as it's within the context of a fairy tale. Just seemed like a lot of people in here were under the impression that expressing love for somebody is the same as consent, and it's not. At all.

Ok I don’t care. You sound like someone that secretly would be happy if they changed the scene though.

DanielBB8

Snow White gave consent to eat the apple. She just didn't know it would be poisoned. She didn't give consent to eat a poison apple.

She was also encased in a glass tomb without her consent because they thought she was dead. Dead people can't give consent. People have done worse to dead bodies. Nonetheless, the kiss was a farewell and not romantic in that sense. It still cured her and no different than what a doctor would do to a patient in a coma with shot or IV. This is a barbaric period where people should not be helped unless they know the full extent of their rights.

mickEblu

This isn't an all-or-nothing type of situation. We can have a discussion about the social situations depicted in the ride without having to automatically suggest it has to go. This is a good example of how "cancel culture" is really just a weak strawman created by people fearful of change.

I have no interest in further discussing discussing if Snow White, the lead cartoon character from Walt’s first full length animated feature film in 1937, based on an old European fairy tale, provided the proper consent.

Knock yourself out though.

The Aracuan Bird

This isn't an all-or-nothing type of situation. We can have a discussion about the social situations depicted in the ride without having to automatically suggest it has to go. This is a good example of how "cancel culture" is really just a weak strawman created by people fearful of change.
It’s more of an example on how the “all or nothing approach” is flawed.

mickEblu

And no cancel culture is started by whiny little babies who apparently have no real problems in their lives. Or just weak minded, fragile people in general.

DanielBB8

This is how cancel culture works. It lacks nuance. It suggests the offending material be excised or banned. It's not cancel culture that's the strawman. It's a real threat.

mickEblu

It’s more of an example on how the “all or nothing approach” is flawed.

Sure but I’m done responding with long nuanced posts about why Splash Mountain isn’t a problem or why Snow Whites ending is fine. It’s all getting old. I’ll now either ignore this non sense or respond with the same non nuanced BS that the cancel warriors provide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom