News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

yensidtlaw1969

It does a bad job with that title.

I think the selection of the headline was intended to secure readers. Since clearly inflammatory headlines about Snow White have gotten pleny of attention recently.

All the evidence we need of Disney's opinion of the scene is on display at Disneyland as of last week - they JUST installed the Kiss Scene at Disneyland. They clearly have no problem with it. The opinion of one reviewer clearly isn't going to change that.

CaptinEO

Link to ONE article that agrees with “Cancelling” Snow White because of the new scene in the ride.

This is what I meant by misleading headlines - so many articles were published with headlines like “Snow White Ride Draws Criticism” or “Snow White Next for Cancel Culture?”, but if you read them the only item they refer back to is the ONE review from SFGate. None of them AGREE with her, they just think they can exploit the article for engagement. And you're proving them right.

This isn’t a movement, people. This was one article getting waaay too much play relative to its actual content. One person critiquing the new Snow White ride is not actually worthy of National News.
Yes, exactly. You should.

When I said “no one is calling for Snow White to be cancelled,” I was specifically referring to people in this thread. Of course there are people calling for Snow White to be cancelled outside of this forum. I’m well aware of that obvious fact. My point is, though... So? Who cares? Nothing significant will come from the cries. People are screaming “CANCEL CULTURE!” for nothing, basically. Not sure if you’ve noticed, but most times, when something or someone who’s popular gets cancelled, what usually happens is people create discussion, maybe stop purchasing their products, unfollow them on Twitter and Instagram, etc. That’s usually it though, unless they did something truly awful, like Kevin Spacey (and even he might make a comeback).They’ll still be relevant, still be making money, still be popular, etc. Getting cancelled may even boost their sales.

Nothing to be concerned about here.
Why is it wrong of people to point out how ridiculous the concept of cancelling Snow White is and how ridiculous the articles are?

Why is it wrong to have an opposing viewpoint of these articles. When people ignore rediculous articles like this instead of confronting it, it only shows acceptance of the point the writers were trying to make.

yensidtlaw1969

Why is it wrong of people to point out how ridiculous the concept of cancelling Snow White is and how ridiculous the articles are?

Why is it wrong to have an opposing viewpoint of these articles. When people ignore rediculous articles like this instead of confronting it, it only shows acceptance of the point the writers were trying to make.
Because. No. One. Is. Cancelling. Snow. White. If. You. Just. Read. Past. The. Headlines.

In reference to "These articles" - That you keep attempting to travel down this philisophical path instead of linking to article - even just one! - that says "The SFGate writer is right, this scene should be changed" makes very clear that there are no such articles. No meaningful person or people came forth agreeing with the SFGate review, insisting the Ride should be changed.

It's okay. The headlines fooled you. They were trying to. It happens to the best of us. You don't have to keep digging your heels in.

This is what I meant when I said from the beginning that the outrage in the wake of the SFGate article is manufactured - the headlines made you think people were coming for Snow White, but that's only because of the poor way news outlets reported on the SFGate article, not because it's true.

Californian Elitist

I didn’t say any of the discussion was wrong. In fact, I’ve encouraged it. It’s the fear of cancel culture on this topic that’s irrational.

I’ve said all that I’ve wanted to say on this topic. Feels like we’re going in circles and it’s gotten tiring.

I’m looking forward to us experiencing the new version so we can talk about our opinions on the changes.

Animaniac93-98

I have little doubt at this point that all this manufactured controversy is being encouraged by Disney to drum up publicity for the park.

An update to SWSA would have been noticed by few outside the immediate Disneyland fan community, but now everyone and their mother is aware of it through all these clickbait articles.

You know what they say, "any publicity is good publicity".

DanielBB8

I have little doubt at this point that all this manufactured controversy is being encouraged by Disney to drum up publicity for the park.

An update to SWSA would have been noticed by few outside the immediate Disneyland fan community, but now everyone and their mother is aware of it through all these clickbait articles.

You know what they say, "any publicity is good publicity".

Rides get changed for less. There’s no publicity for Jungle Cruise and Splash Mountain when Disney suddenly announced changes. The reasons for their change is manufactured outrage. Woke and cancel culture is manufactured mob activism. This is something not out of the ordinary for Disney to take advantage from. We all know Disney will succumb to less pressure if it is already convinced.

DanielBB8

Social media furor over the ride came on the heels of an SFGATE piece published on May 1 by theme park reviewers Katie Dowd and Julie Tremaine.”

Of course it will. It’s taken a life of its own.

Zorro 2.0

So his "response" is essentially "it's from the movie" and "we did a great job." How deep.

yensidtlaw1969

The perfect example of "Tell me you didn't do your reading without telling me you didn't do your reading".

Here's the tweet from Jim Shull, featuring the screen grab from Fox News:

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 3.48.09 PM.png

And here's an article from Fox News on the subject:

Notice that the ONLY, ONLY "backlash" they cite is . . . Big Surprise! The Article from SFGate:

"However, it's the "true love's kiss" grand finale between Snow White and her prince that is drawing scrutiny from the San Francisco Gate."

Social media furor over the ride came on the heels of an SFGATE piece published on May 1 by theme park reviewers Katie Dowd and Julie Tremaine.”

Of course it will. It’s taken a life of its own.

The Furor they're referring to is all the people jumping down the throat of the SFGate Writer telling her to get off her high horse because they only read the headlines that say "Cancel Culture Targets Snow White" instead of paying attention to the actual conversation. NOBODY is campaigning for Disney to change Snow White's Enchanted Wish.

You both keep falling for bad reporting when clicking the links in the article would quickly get you to the bottom of what's happening. Which is basically nothing. The only "life of its own" is people perpetuating the myth that people are going after Snow White, insisting Disney change the brand new ride. Which they wouldn't be doing even if that WAS happening, which it isn't, soooo . . .

And you wonder why everyone else in this thread is exhausted by this . . .

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

A lot of people just going on and on and on about the reaction by media to this article. I mean, I wish I had the spare time you guys have to do this kind of investigative reporting of reporting. We know the media is fake and Cancel Culture stories sell. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't concern fans of theme parks they'll dismantle these attractions and elements because it's very obviously happening. The LA Times literally just asked Disney if they'd take out the skeleton in the HM. I'm sorry, what? This isn't reporting anymore. It's people inserting their beliefs and wants in to articles and trying to stir up crap. Fake fake fake.

owlsandcoffee

I think the larger point is that some people will do everything they can to find something to be mad about. I guarantee you something in the SM overlay will raise peoples' hackles. Better to just ignore them, both on our end and Disney's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom