Disneyland to get larger Marvel presence according to Disney CEO

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So Mr. Iger, have you given serious thought to Baby Groot's House of Fun?

Careful what you wish for. A refreshed Tomorrowland could end up being Marvel Land 2.0..

There's no denying that the public has a significant appetite for Marvel's superheroes. The success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe -- especially the record-smashing Avengers: Endgame -- is proof and fans will be able to take their excitement for the Marvel Cinematic Universe out of the theater and into Disneyland theme parks in an expanded way, at least according to Disney CEO Bob Iger.

During the Walt Disney Company's quarterly earnings call, Iger revealed that Disneyland would see an expanded Marvel presence going forward, a presence that goes beyond Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: BREAKOUT! which took over the Tower of Terror in 2017. BuzzFeed reporter Adam Vary noted that Iger also mentioned leaked concept art and doesn't deny its accuracy.

While Iger did not provide any specifics about what that expanded presence would look like, we do already know about some of the plans, specifically at the Disney California Adventure Park's Marvel-themed expansion at Disneyland. The expansion replaces A Bug's Land which closed in September and will neighbor Mission: BREAKOUT! This new expansion will host the Worldwide Engineering Brigade, or WEB headquarters and is set to be a pillar of the overall Marvel-themed expansion that is expected to open in the park in 2020.

The attraction is set to showcase a blend of never-before-seen technology and practical effects, something that might include allowing guests to experience web-slinging just like Spider-Man. As was noted earlier this year, Disney previously filed a patent for a "track-based swing ride" system utilizing a pendulum arm that would give riders a "unique swinging ride experience". The patent details actually referenced Spider-Man, noting that the attraction would recreate a sensation "similar to what it would feel like to be with Tarzan... or with Spider-Man or a similar character swinging on webs between buildings as you move down streets of a city."

And it won't just be Disneyland in California getting more Marvel. Inspired by Marvel Studios' MCU, the parks will have their own interconnected storytelling. A second WEB headquarters will follow in Paris which will host an Iron Man-centric attraction while in Hong Kong Disneyland, fans can explore the just-opened Ant-Man and the Wasp: Nano Battle! attraction.

Avengers: Endgame is in theaters now. Disney's Super Hero-themed land opens at Disney California Adventure park in 2020.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Sorry folks, should this be in the Marvel Land thread? If so, mods, do you mind moving this there? Thanks

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

"specifically at the Disney California Adventure Park's Marvel-themed expansion at Disneyland"

I didn't know DCA was actually inside Disneyland. Whoever wrote this article is a moron and I would take everything in it with a grain of salt if they are confussing DCA and Disneyland as being one park.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
"specifically at the Disney California Adventure Park's Marvel-themed expansion at Disneyland"

I didn't know DCA was actually inside Disneyland. Whoever wrote this article is a moron and I would take everything in it with a grain of salt if they are confussing DCA and Disneyland as being one park.

Great point, I thought the same thing. That and the writer mentioned "BuzzFeed".

The thing that got me was this.

"During the Walt Disney Company's quarterly earnings call, Iger revealed that Disneyland would see an expanded Marvel presence going forward..."

This is said even though we all know marvel land is coming. I wouldn't be surprised (but I would be disgusted) if Marvel came to Disneyland park.

drizgirl

I'm sure they just left off "Resort" after "Disneyland".

They sure missed the golden opportunity to make DCA into a SW/Marvel park.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Where is the leaked concept art?

Don't quote me on this, but I googled it and the site that shall not be named was the first result regarding "leaked Disney Marvel concept art".

These pictures pertain to WDS in Paris.

Model for RnR Ironman Overlay. You'll notice it's all Spiderman, which i'm guessing was the original plan..?

Attachments

• 1557416615975.png
    1557416615975.png
    981 KB · Views: 47

britain

Don't quote me on this, but I googled it and the site that shall not be named was the first result regarding "leaked Disney Marvel concept art".

View attachment 370844

Model for RnR Ironman Overlay. You'll notice it's all Spiderman, which i'm guessing was the original plan..?

View attachment 370848

View attachment 370851

Most of that is concept art that has been thrown out. The winning concept art is the last attachment with Spidey perched upon the modern techy buildings.

I think the leaking Iger is referring to is the blueprint, which isn't so much a leak, since it was required to be made public by local French law.

Ismael Flores

In theory it is, the problem is that everyone keeps dropping the main word "resort"

Ismael Flores

View attachment 370844

I like that second picture, it would have looked great at WDS park. The overhead trolley alone would add a great visual for the park

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Is that the inside of what could have been the RNRC overlay with a Spiderman theme and large set pieces inside?

Also looks like it could have been an outdoor coaster and behind it they have the prototype swinging AA jumping from a tall set piece

I think that must've been the original plan, but they probably didn't want to alter anything major like track or showbuilding.

No Name

View attachment 370844

View attachment 370848

View attachment 370851

Yes Spider-Man was the original plan. If they still go through with redesigning the surrounding area as shown that should be a solid improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom