Disneyland Taking on Universal? - Twitter Wars

DavidDL

-and a nice steak costs 14 times more than a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

Depends what you're in the mood for. Of course I think Disneyland is the better park overall but Guests won't find Jurassic World, Transformers, Hogwarts, Nintendo or a working movie studio there.

mickEblu

-and a nice steak costs 14 times more than a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

Depends what you're in the mood for. Of course I think Disneyland is the better park overall but Guests won't find Jurassic World, Transformers, Hogwarts, Nintendo or a working movie studio there.

I was just at USH this past Monday on Non-Vaccinated day and yeah- they sure could use a few more rides, ideally non screen based. Also, can someone tell me why Simpsons always has the longest line in the park? I know it’s kind of a slow loader but it’s always hovering around 60 min.

DavidDL

@mickEblu ; Oh, I absolutely agree with you that Universal could benefit from more rides. I'm sure they'd like to (if the other parks the build are any indication) but they're limited by the studio lot. I'd love to see them begin a multi-year transformation where they shift their soundstages around to accommodate for more space on the lower lot. Though that itself is something they need to be careful about if they're to do any outdoor filming there. Since anyone who films there would need to always be digitally editing out the sightlines of possible attractions or the audible screams of Guests who may or may not be enjoying a new roller coaster.

One other thing though to keep in mind when sites come up with stats like these are, what do they consider "rides"? Because Disney has a pretty loose definition of the term attraction. Haunted Mansion is an attraction but apparently, so its Star Wars Launch Bay and Chip n' Dale's Treehouse. I'd certainly take a ride on Forbidden Journey over the Main Street Vehicles (apparently counts as 4 different attractions to pad out the numbers).

-and your guess is as good as mine regarding the Simpsons. Maybe it's a combination of it being a slow loader plus it being sort of being in the perfect "middle ground" of not too boring and not too scary for kids? It's definitely more entertaining that something like Minion Mayhem but it also more accessible than something like, Revenge of the Mummy for thrill-seekers in training?

mickEblu

@mickEblu ; Oh, I absolutely agree with you that Universal could benefit from more rides. I'm sure they'd like to (if the other parks the build are any indication) but they're limited by the studio lot. I'd love to see them begin a multi-year transformation where they shift their soundstages around to accommodate for more space on the lower lot. Though that itself is something they need to be careful about if they're to do any outdoor filming there. Since anyone who films there would need to always be digitally editing out the sightlines of possible attractions or the audible screams of Guests who may or may not be enjoying a new roller coaster.

-and your guess is as good as mine regarding the Simpsons. Maybe it's a combination of it being a slow loader plus it being sort of being in the perfect "middle ground" of not too boring and not too scary for kids? It's definitely more entertaining that something like Minion Mayhem but it also more accessible than something like, Revenge of the Mummy for thrill-seekers in training?

Yup and also it’s location at the end of a main throughfare on the upper lot with what, 5 rides?

DavidDL

True. I’d like to see them try though. They ll never be Disneyland but I’d like to see a nice expansion with say 2 more lands and another 4-5 solid attractions.

One clever idea I remember being thrown around was a Hogwarts Express-themed tram that could take you from Hogsmeade to a Diagon Alley built off-property. Maybe they just need to build another park somewhere in Studio City with some kind of service between the two so that they're not limited by space anymore. One would end up costing less to enter with less to do over time but I still think it could work. I don't know much about how those logistics would work but hey, it's an idea.

mickEblu

I’ve gone on the Studio Tour 3x since May and have not been to the New York Street area or Little Europe once. The tour kind of loses its soul without going though New York Street and without the original Kong.

mickEblu

One clever idea I remember being thrown around was a Hogwarts Express-themed tram that could take you from Hogsmeade to a Diagon Alley built off-property. Maybe they just need to build another park somewhere in Studio City with some kind of service between the two so that they're not limited by space anymore. One would end up costing less to enter with less to do over time but I still think it could work. I don't know much about how those logistics would work but hey, it's an idea.

I like this idea but that kind of space is hard to come by in Studio City. If they really wanted to to they could have (and maybe still do) this on property. I was saddened to hear that all that construction to the left of the big hill to get up to USH from Lankershim was just office buildings or studios.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…bet that land would be cheap

waltography

...So we agree that the quote tweet was a mistake, right? Sure, Disney's social media team is pretty inept, but they're not so inept to actually stoop to Universal's level here on an official channel of communication, yes? ...

On second thought, this is exactly what Disney would do. Much as I don't care for USO/USH twitter, at least they're fun with their snark—the tone of this tweet is a total buzzkill.

josh2000

After growing up going to the Universal parks in Orlando, I've never been able to convince myself to go to Universal Hollywood. It just seems so incredibly small. They have a very limited number of attractions and I'm only interested in a few of those. The studio side interests me more than the theme park side. I'm sure I'll go someday but if I feel like going to Universal, I go to Orlando instead.

Giss Neric

I can't believe Twitter got so offended by this (no surprise). It goes to show that people still put Disney on a pedestal and uncharacteristic of them to do this. Their shade is classy but I prefer snarky shades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom