Disneyland Taking on Universal? - Twitter Wars

waltography

I can't believe Twitter got so offended by this (no surprise). It goes to show that people still put Disney on a pedestal and uncharacteristic of them to do this. Their shade is classy but I prefer snarky shades.
I mean, it is uncharacteristic for Disney to say stuff like this on their social media. It's not their brand voice in the way Universal's is, who cultivated an irreverent social media voice.

This reads like a subtweet that accidentally quoted the very thing they meant to subtweet. Mistake more than shade, passive aggression more than snark.

Giss Neric

I mean, it is uncharacteristic for Disney to say stuff like this on their social media. It's not their brand voice in the way Universal's is, who cultivated an irreverent social media voice.

This reads like a subtweet that accidentally quoted the very thing they meant to subtweet. Mistake more than shade, passive aggression more than snark.
Everyone thought this was either a mistake, maybe written by Bob Chapek, or people used this tweet to complain about the current experience including the lack of trams LOL

Brer Panther

Remember those Universal ads where they'd say things like "Fairy tales and pixie dust not quite your thing?" and have kids saying "If I have to hug one more princess, I think I'm gonna hurl" or whatever?

Mac Tonight

Taking pathetic passive-aggressive jabs at their main competitor on social media instead of, oh, I don't know... making their park better... is the most Universal thing ever.

There's a reason I've only ever gone to Universal one time in my life. And I only went because I was gifted an annual pass.

Californian Elitist

Taking pathetic passive-aggressive jabs at their main competitor on social media instead of, oh, I don't know... making their park better... is the most Universal thing ever.

There's a reason I've only ever gone to Universal one time in my life. And I only went because I was gifted an annual pass.
It’s not that serious. This is all in good fun.

Where’s the lie in that hilarious tram tweet from Universal though?

TP2000

Almost everything at Universal is screen-based, which completely rules me out of being able to enjoy or ride anything.

You aren't missing a whole lot, to be honest.

I didn't quite get the whole Harry Potter thing; it was very well done and decorated, don't get me wrong. But I had no earthly idea what was happening and the dialogue sounded like this... BLAH-BLAH-BLAH! GARRRGH Harry Potter! BLAH-BLAH The Spell Is Powerful GWAAAH! BLAH-BLAH-BLAH!, so I just started watching the big robot arm that was throwing us around in the dark. Then we went on a version of Gadget's Go Coaster that had a giant roosting chicken and a fabulous view of the trash dumpsters behind Waterworld. Absolutely no clue why. And in a cute candy shop I bought a box of taffy that was kind of stale.

I really did like the place better when they had the Airport '77 Stunt Show where if you were lucky you would get chosen to have a stewardess push you out of a plane and into a tank of water. And they had a huge desk telephone you could stand next to for photos. Seriously, this was a thing. Apparently we were easily entertained in the 1970's.

27abc17e26af9d3a0e00d9e66d64e4f4.jpg

On the plus side, the Universal Studios Tram Tour is still mostly wonderful.

Last edited:

shambolicdefending

My cynical side says that this all reveals Disney's growing insecure awareness that people don't think they're as worth the high price as they used to be.

After dumping a whole bunch of billions into Star Wars didn't seem to help that perception, the spreadsheet jockeys don't know what else to do.

October82

Both Universal and Disney have their problems at the moment, but I'd go so far as to say that Universal is consistently putting out a superior product right now. If that visit was more than a few years ago, you should visit again. It's certainly a Disney quality product.

Mac Tonight

Both Universal and Disney have their problems at the moment, but I'd go so far as to say that Universal is consistently putting out a superior product right now. If that visit was more than a few years ago, you should visit again. It's certainly a Disney quality product.
It was late 2018, but I’m good. Frankly, there wasn’t much there then (or that’s been added since, that I know of) that caught my attention.

I could do a full day of only the attractions at Disneyland that were made before 1996, and still have a much more fulfilling day than I would at Universal.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom