Disneyland "Sunsetting" annual passes, WDW next?

GymLeaderPhil

I’m convinced that California will eventually receive a program similar to a Main Entrance Pass that employees receive once the dust settles following reopening. Only lasts one year with a capped number of days of park hopping access. There will be a very slim discount compared with purchasing a ticket that would be intended for someone who is only looking for admission during the length of their stay. The spin will be that this gives the passholders flexibility to plan their visits throughout their year.

I also strongly believe that parking won’t be included and can be optionally added on at a slight discount. Parking will mirror the number of days of admission valid on the pass itself. This also gives the person who purchased parking the flexibility of using it for shopping/dining at Downtown Disney without using their admission ticket.

On top of this, just like Main Entrance Passes there will be an abundance of block out dates/periods. No options to pay for a discounted admission ticket on block out dates. Passholders will have to make a reservations for the specific date a la the system in place here.

Doing this would force passholders to treat the days they utilize it as a special occasion. An afternoon or evening visit would be discouraging as they’ve now just lost a full day’s value off of their pass. You would see much less utilization for children after school and the passholders clubs who aren’t dining/shopping.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
  • Vloggers: While I'm not against vloggers per se, the AP allows *everyone* to be a vlogger. You have vloggers with less than 100 subscribers... why are they even bothering? You can't make money from that. DL has an inordinate number of vloggers. If they had to pay more to enter, then that would cut down on their numbers and only the better, more popular ones who are actually making a profit from their amateur vlogging would be around.
I'm thinking about starting a vlog as "The World's Last Non-Disney Vlogger."

LaughingGravy

My fondest memories of WDW were, I think, before APs existed. Mid 70s to 80s.

IMO whole AP disappearance is a major deal to a lot of California folks who practically live there, even if the company will likely bring something back.
I have seen a more than a few folks who dress "to the nines", even dapper on non dapper days, just hanging out, or very slowly strolling through the CA parks. Those folks live and breathe that place, and with good reason.
But, it's clear that place is a huge part of where they spend their time.
I know I would. 😁
Locals are a HUGE part of the culture and attendance for DL.
It will be like kicking out the homeless.

scpergj

youre probably staying at a hotel on site as well. I dont think its the go a few times a month or year people they are trying to reduce.
This is probably quite true.

we have (myseof, wife and youngest daughter) have been four times since the parks reopened for a total of 10 days. We are planning another trip next month, which would only be two days.

One thing that has changed for us since we started regularly visiting in 2003 is where we stay. There used to be good discounts on the Disney resorts for Florida residents and for pass holders....and while there are discounts, there is no way I can justify staying at Pop (first trip there was opening weekend for $49 a night) at $149 , or at Port Orleans for $199 a night (first stay there in 2003 we paid $79 a night)...so we stay off property now. We do tend to eat on property for an entire trip, and spend a little each trip on fun things, but then again we aren’t the daily/weekly visitors.

If we had to pay for regular tickets, I don’t see us visiting more than once every other year....but is that really a loss lol the company? Not sure on the $$‘s for that.

Goofnut1980

For me this is great! I was working out in LA from August 2019 till Feb 2020. I naturally got a Signature Passport. With parking was around $1300. I wasn't going to use my pass after February and then Covid hit. For myself, I will be getting around 5 months back on my pass. The pass out there is so much more expensive than WDW. I won't mind Disney giving me $4-500 back.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
1610922888663.png

Kamikaze

I could easily see a new type of annual pass that has a limit on the total number of days you can use it. That would allow people who want to go regularly in non-consecutive periods to have an option that doesn't involve buying multiple expensive tickets, but could prevent the folks who are going 100+ times in a year.
Thats every pass. They just do it by calendar dates not number of entries. And there are (were) far more levels at DLR than WDW.

This is a temporary thing. DLR APs will be back by the end of 2021.

ppete1975

Thats every pass. They just do it by calendar dates not number of entries. And there are (were) far more levels at DLR than WDW.

This is a temporary thing. DLR APs will be back by the end of 2021.
id feel better about your time prediction if it was open, I really dont see a reopening date is even close. IF they open by the end of summer (heaven forbid it isnt because that means alot of bad stuff), then i totally agree. Still closed.... who knows.

Kamikaze

id feel better about your time prediction if it was open, I really dont see a reopening date is even close. IF they open by the end of summer (heaven forbid it isnt because that means alot of bad stuff), then i totally agree. Still closed.... who knows.

They'll open by the end of April at the latest. Low capacity, but they'll be open.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member

ORLANDO, Fla. – Looking to buy an annual pass at Walt Disney World? You're out of luck unless you're a current passholder. The Florida theme park said it will renew passes for current owners, but won’t sell new ones.

The announcement comes as the Disneyland California theme park halted its annual pass program entirely. Disneyland made the announcement earlier this week after it allowed county health officials to use its parking lot for a large-scale coronavirus vaccination site.

In Florida, “the Most Magical Place on Earth” reopened in July after nearly four months with new rules in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 including mandatory masks and social distancing.

California's Disneyland closed in March and has not reopened since because coronavirus metrics in the county where the park is located have not declined to the levels required by the state.

Disney officials would not say how many people hold these passes or how much the move will cost the company, adding it would begin issuing pro-rated refunds to eligible passholders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom