Disneyland "Sunsetting" annual passes, WDW next?

CJR

We contemplated canceling already, so if they cancelled ours, I wouldn't be so upset. The situation is very different though, DL can roll out whatever program that they want when the parks reopen, in Florida, the impact would need to be phased somehow. Especially since some AP holders likely have reservations months into the future.

asianway

DVC isn’t guaranteed anything. But the number of owners who have shelled out tens of thousands of dollars do have some pull. Not California AP-level, but a little.

Prediction: Things are going to get ugly at DL.

Not sure why there’s the hate for AP holders. They literally can keep things going in bad times. Post-9/11. 2008 recession. Covid reopening. Or maybe some just think it’s better for WDW to shut down AP’s and then raise prices even further on everyone else to compensate, I don’t know...
Disney Parks(tm) is not a mall

TiggerDad

I could easily see a new type of annual pass that has a limit on the total number of days you can use it. That would allow people who want to go regularly in non-consecutive periods to have an option that doesn't involve buying multiple expensive tickets, but could prevent the folks who are going 100+ times in a year.
Kind of like the ten day tickets we used to buy (non-expiring) and use for multiple trips.

BrianLo

I’d expect some sort of cap on usable number of days or more leaning towards the flex pass requiring reservations.

I don’t see how either work against DVC owners. Disney very easily can provide some stipulation that these products work for all days someone is booked into a Disney hotel.

It’s more targeting the Friday night hordes.

Annual passes have been hugely underpriced compared to other industries like skiing (which 1-day lift tickets can also be shockingly worse than a Disney Park)

Indy_UK

I wonder if they will eventually just get rid of annual passes to some extent.

DVC sure doesn’t guarantee annual passes. They ultimately want to have the die hard fans visit less and pay more when they do visit.

It just sounds like another tier to getting more from every visitor on a day rate

BrianLo

They haven’t been underpriced compared to other theme parks. Which is a more comparable industry imho.

But even in the skiing industry you have the "Disney's" and you have the mom and pop shops. They are priced accordingly, aka vastly differently.

Disney has a crowding problem and Annual Passholders complaining they aren't given enough benefits, while literally being in the park for dollars based on how much they attend, are a part of the problem.

There is an entitlement because the parks used to be really freaking affordable.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney has a crowding problem and Annual Passholders complaining they aren't given enough benefits, while literally being in the park for dollars based on how much they attend, are a part of the problem.
Yeah I saw how much of a crowding problem Disneyland had when they blacked out the lower AP’s for Galaxies Edge. I extended my trip and cancelled my non-Disney plans because the park was so empty!

SoFloMagic

I wonder if they will eventually just get rid of annual passes to some extent.

DVC sure doesn’t guarantee annual passes. They ultimately want to have the die hard fans visit less and pay more when they do visit.

It just sounds like another tier to getting more from every visitor on a day rate
With no covid restrictions, there's absolutely no reason to. APs fill in available space in the park and provide consistent revenue

danv3

I can’t imagine more than 5% chance APs continue at WDW.

I wonder what will happen to the two outstanding AP vouchers I have if I don’t activate them soon?

matt9112

If you have to strictly cap attendance, the goal is to increase spending per guest. Some APs are paying pennies compared to those of us who can only go for a few days at a time.

There a money driven company that sacrifices there own culture and talent to further those ends? Because you live further away? Think about the local stuff (not even theme park centric) you go to all the time because you live there. WDW is no different. For us.

To be fair your point is valid just the morality of it? I guess thats capitalism eh?

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Considering that WDW is currently open, has been open for 6 months, and allowing AP renewals, it will continue. The big pink Dumbo in the middle of the room is how the WDW AP tiers will change.

Prices will go up like they always do, but could WDW rebrand (manipulate, ahem) the passport system used at DL?

I'm standing by with (maple) popcorn.

matt9112

I’d expect some sort of cap on usable number of days or more leaning towards the flex pass requiring reservations.

I don’t see how either work against DVC owners. Disney very easily can provide some stipulation that these products work for all days someone is booked into a Disney hotel.

It’s more targeting the Friday night hordes.

Annual passes have been hugely underpriced compared to other industries like skiing (which 1-day lift tickets can also be shockingly worse than a Disney Park)

Ones a luxury item that is rather niche...the other is a theme park...technically still a luxury item but to compare the two? I think you need to compare disney to other competitors in there same segment...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom