Disneyland Seoul

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Park Logo.jpg

Disneyland Seoul

Welcome everyone to Disneyland Seoul. This new Disney theme park planned for the Republic of Korea's capital city would be Disney's 4th located in Asia in an effort to continue expanding Disney's presence to fans around the world.

Having hosted 2 Olympic games in the last 30 plus years, the area is no stranger to the world stage, but still is relatively unfamiliar territory to many people around the world. It represents a great untapped market with it's population of over 10 million and a greater metro population of 25 million with which to draw from.

The new park in Seoul represents a great opportunity and it's share of challenges to expand the Disney footprint, but in a whole new way.

Hope you enjoy the journey!

Last edited:

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
TABLE OF CONTENTS

Disneyland Seoul Overview
Disneyland Seoul Infrastructure
Resort Layout
Resort Amenities
Main Street Shopping & Entertainment District
  • Introduction & Layout
  • Dining
  • Retail
Disney's Gangtey Valley Resort
  • Introduction/Layout
  • Rooms & Dining
Disneyland Seoul Hotel
  • Introduction/Layout
  • Rooms & Dining
Nautilus Resort
  • Introduction/Layout
  • Rooms & Dining
PeopleLodger Resort
  • Introduction/Layout
  • Rooms & Dining

DISNEYLAND SEOUL

CORONA
  • Overview
  • Dining
  • Shopping
  • Rapunzel's Castle

FANTASYLAND
  • Introduction
  • Overview and Layout
Londontown
ATTRACTIONS
  • Peter Pan's Voyage
  • Cruella's Roadsters
  • Chimney Sweep Revue
  • Cherry Tree Carousel
  • The Queens Court
  • Mad Hatter's Tea Party
  • TBD
DINING
  • Kensington's
  • Mad Hatter's Tea Shop
  • Tic Toc Cafe
  • Crepe De Cruella
RETAIL
  • TBA
  • TBA

France
ATTRACTIONS

• The Three Mousketeers Ride Again
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Cinderella's Royal Ball
DINING & RETAIL TBA

Germany
ATTRACTIONS

• 7 Dwarves Mine Train
  • Sleeping Beauty Dark Ride
  • TBD
DINING & RETAIL TBA

SCI-FI LAND

• Introduction
  • Overview and Layout
ATTRACTIONS
  • Lunar Launch
  • People Mover
  • TBA
  • TBA
DINING
  • A2
  • TBA
  • TBA
RETAIL
  • TBA
  • TBA

EXPLORER'S COVE
  • Introduction
  • Layout
ATTRACTIONS
  • Around the World in 80 days (w/ Professor R. Blauerhimmel)
  • Expedition Everest
  • Paradise Falls Adventure
  • Up and Away
  • 20,000 Leagues and the Mysterious Beast
DINING & RETAIL TBA

4th Land TBA

2nd GATE - WORLDS OF DISNEY

PIXAR

• An Incredible Adventure - Return of the Underminer
  • Frozone Flat Ride
  • Pizza Planet Express
  • TBA
  • TBA
DINING
  • A la Mode
  • SuperSubs
  • Pizza Planet
RETAIL
  • Parrfect Gifts
  • TBA

KASHYYYK
  • Introduction
  • Layout
ATTRACTIONS/DINING/RETAIL - TBA

3RD AND 4TH LANDS TBA

Last edited:

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Park idea background
Long story short, it was never my intention to build a theme park from scratch. This initially started as one ride and trying to do something different with an IP (Peter Pan boat ride) that sprang into a London themed fantasy area that progressed into a WTH moment of conceptualizing a larger park. I tried (and failed) to start well over a year plus ago with a thread and didn't get to much beyond starting a thread, though there were some concepts worked on in the background not posted. I've decided to finally get off my and really try and dig into it for however long it takes (decades I'm sure).

Looking back at some of my earlier ideas and stuff, I plan to keep a chunk of it, but rewriting here and there so content will not be dropping every single day. My hope though is to keep it regular enough that I'm on schedule with the understanding my ideas continue to shift the more I think about this (the ultimate blue sky). Of course, the more programs and things I find to play with just adds to the time as I attempt to have full designs for everything.

Thanks for reading!​

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Interesting. Can’t wait to see how you’ll incorporate Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and 20th Century Studios in your park.

My original plans the only main Pixar presence was going to be the Incredibles, but thinking about it the last few days more, I think I'm going to include an indoor Up area (exterior Paradise Falls to blend in with Explorer's Bay) similar to Mermaid Lagoon at TDS. Star Wars was/is in the plans thanks to a certain Wookie. 20th Century is TBD. Not in my original thoughts but one IP has embedded in my brain recently so I may squeeze it in there.

Marvel I didn't have plans for and don't intend to at the moment. I honestly think it's one of the toughest IPs to pull off, at least from a Disney themed perspective. Has to be a very specific fit to not feel hokie IMO unless you are just slapping up a coaster and calling it X. Something like @D Hulk Avengers Airspace is pretty on point.

Twilight_Roxas

As for 20th Century Studios other than Avatar, and Planet of the Apes there’s also The Simpsons, Anastasia who would most likely be a meet & greet with the other Disney Princesses, Percy Jackson which is getting a tv series on Disney+, and Blue Sky Studios IPs.

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Background

Disneyland Seoul
is an attempt to take the idea of a Disney theme park, in a slightly new direction and into a country not often explored for expansion. While this first park will be a castle park similar to how every other Disney park location has been started, it will mostly be done so in name only. Every attempt will be made to distinguish Disneyland Seoul both from its competitors locally, but even more so its other Disney park neighbors and those around the world.

With a population of 10 million people and a metro population of 25 million, Seoul provides the building blocks for a steady influx of local and repeat guests, not to mention a large Asian population base with which to draw. Having now hosted 2 Olympic Games in the last 30 plus years, it is no stranger to many, but this partnership would further put Seoul and the country at large on the map as a destination. While there are three other resort locations within a 3–5-hour plane ride, Disneyland Seoul will not, nor should not be a carbon copy of those parks. The park itself, like the others, will be a true standalone experience but will also be a complimentary piece to the many travelers who find themselves making a string of Disney park visits across Asia with the different experience it offers.

As noted, this will not be your standard castle park and resort set up. This is done both to challenge the Imagineers (me) but also explore new attractions and a new way of doing things. While some ideas may fail miserably, these blue-sky ideas would hopefully springboard into a grand vision for the park.

With a long-term goal of building out two parks, the planning and infrastructure will take this into account to make Disneyland Seoul a true resort destination. Large scale transportation improvements paired with resort monorails, multiple hotels, a golf course (Disney’s Red Pine Golf Course) and a shopping and entertainment district highlight only a few changes the larger resort will bring.

Gone will be the traditional Main Street USA entrance and replaced with a similar in park build up themed to the Kingdom of Corona, keeping with the inspiration for Rapunzel’s Castle at the park’s center. Main Street will still have its presence felt, though in the Main Street Shops and Entertainment district. Familiar lands are here, but joined by newer lands, and some smaller IP focused areas, all in a layout that is part castle hub and spoke, part Epcot.

Taking up roughly a third of the opening day park, Fantasyland will be guests first impression of this new resort. Fanning out from its Kingdom of Corona theming will be subareas themed to London, Paris, and Germany with each highlighting many of the Disney classics that take place in those locales.

Next, we find ourselves in Sci-Fi Land, a world of bold ideas and the knowledge that we are not alone in this universe. From a high speed lunar space elevator coaster, to encounters of a strange kind, it will be an adventure not soon forgotten.

The city of Metroville brings us to our first drastic difference regarding the traditional land structure as we meet The Incredibles. This smaller IP focused area introduces the heroes, and villains in this unique retro based town.

On the opposite side of the park from the main entrance and behind Rapunzel’s castle sits Explorer’s Cove. Dedicated to some of the great explorers, Hilary, Blauerhimmel and Fredricksen, yes Fredricksen, guests will have an opportunity to go on their own adventures whether it is scaling Everest, around the world in 80 days, or finding paradise in a far-off place.

Lastly, we come to Kashyyyk. In essence the Adventureland of the park, the Wookie’s home world provides new representation for Star Wars in the parks. This location, barely explored in film, presents many tantalizing options from a design and theming perspective and a most unique addition to the park allowing for crossover into numerous Star Wars timelines.

Pack your bags and enjoy the journey!​

Last edited:

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Thanks to the typography and build out of Seoul and the surrounding metropolitan area, land for this new endeavor becomes a bit of a challenge. There are a few locales with the space nearby the airports and city, but either terrain or nearby development makes those locations mostly unsuitable. Fortunately for Disneyland Seoul, a regular competitor in the theme park wars around the world, Universal Studios, already had initial plans for a park and development in the area. After years of delays, their venture failed to get off the ground, and allows Disneyland Seoul to fill that void.

Disneyland Seoul Location.jpg

Located South/Southwest of the city of Seoul, this plot of land provides ample room with which to develop the resort initially and expand over time, as necessary. Allowing for some engineering work already in the books for the site due to the water table, the location is a prime open canvas with which to work.

Disneyland Seoul Acreage.JPG

While not as close to the hub of the city itself as preferred, the space trumps this drawback with the ability to build and create a true destination resort. Walt’s “blessing of size” comment regarding Walt Disney World is just as true for Disneyland Seoul. With regional updates to transportation as part of the project, the multiple airports, cruise terminal and city of Seoul become fully connected to the resort.​

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Regional Transportation Updates

Already one of the busiest rail systems in the world. Seoul is currently in the midst of a major expansion to its network of rail lines in and around the city. Even with the miles upon miles of lines that traverse the region, ride times are a common complaint. Major extensions and new lines are planned and in process with openings slated over the next 5 years in multiple locations, with the updates made to increase connectivity, increase capacity, and decrease wait times. All of this bodes well for Disneyland Seoul as we work to partner with them on lines that will reach directly to the resort.

seoul-subway-map.jpg

(a sampling of what locals and tourists must maneuver)
The current Seohai Line ends at Wonsi just north of the site running towards Gimpo International Airport where an extension, line GI is currently under construction that would bring near direct access to not only the airport but more connections to the city of Seoul itself. An extension will be used to connect this line from Wonsi to the resort as well as populations further south of Seoul.

From the west, Lines 1 and 4 runs east towards the site with connecting stops to the aforementioned lines that will enable access for cruise passengers disembarking from the Incheon Cruise Terminal, the country’s largest that recently completed a major update in 2019. Additional extensions will be built to the west of the resort further connecting Disneyland Seoul to all forms of travel and the greater population of Seoul.

Subway and Road Improvements.JPG

All the rail updates serve to ensure the resort is easily accessed by both international travelers arriving at one of the two major airports and the cruise terminal. Combined with other improvements going on region wide not associated with Disneyland Seoul, the updates will make getting around easier and quicker. With all the updates, travel times from the travel arrivals and center city should all be well under an hour, with the Cruise Terminal and Gimpo airport clocking in around 30 minutes. Major bridge and road improvements around the plot of land connected to local highways are a necessity due to the mostly local and small roads currently accessing the site.

Closer to home, a separate park designated monorail will bring guests from the nearby station in minutes.

Attachments

• seoul-subway-map.jpg
    seoul-subway-map.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 96
  • seoul-subway-map.jpg
    seoul-subway-map.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
To Park Monorail

Thanks to the improved infrastructure of both rail and roadways in the greater Seoul area, getting to Disneyland Seoul will provide several options with mass transit being the easiest for the majority. Thanks to the extension of the previously discussed Seohai Line, a rail station (the 2nd to last on the new extension named Disneyland Resort Station) will be located 2 miles from the edge of the property. Connecting the resort to this station via monorail will provide guests direct access to varying points of the resort at large.

DL Seoul Monorail.jpg

Partnering with Hitachi Monorail, and its local branch Hitachi Korea Ltd., the new Park Line provides an environmentally friendly, sleek, and efficient transport. Hitachi’s Monorail System is already in operation in another South Korean city, Daegu, and has proved very beneficial to the area. With stops at Disneyland Seoul, the Main Street Shops and Entertainment District, and eventually a final stop at a future planned 2nd park at the NE edge of the property, the Park Line makes arriving at the resort a breeze.

DL Seoul Park Line.JPG

Similar to Walt Disney World’s Transportation Center to Epcot route, the Park Monorail will operate dual lines from the Disneyland Resort Station to that future park. Running side by side for the duration of the trip, one of the lines at each end station turns out to create a continuously running loop allowing the trains to maintain direction and minimize potential safety hazards on track. Stations at both the Main Street Station and Disneyland Resort will be dual loading platforms so that guests arriving/departing from those locales are able to easily change travel directions without having to ride the entire loop.​

Disney Dad 3000

Original Poster
Resort Monorail

While the Park Monorail serves to transport large groups of people to and from the resort to the major rail networks, the Resort Monorail provides a similar function, but on a smaller scale. Intamin Transportation’s People Mover P6 is the chosen mode for this offering that favors hotel guests but is also an added benefit to day trippers alike.

DL Seoul Resort Monorail.jpg

Chosen for its unique look and maneuverability, the P6 will offer 12 cars carrying up to 72 passengers at max capacity. Not meant as mass transportation, this unique ride offers floor to ceiling views for riders and during its brief foray into Disneyland Resort Park, wonderful kinetics for Sci Fi Land. At just over 100 ft long, it is much smaller than the standard Park Monorails in other Disney parks, including the one here at Disneyland Seoul.

The Resort Monorail’s main function will serve to be a complementary mode of transport for hotel guests staying at one of the four offerings on property in addition to the many buses that will be available. Stops include the Main Street Entertainment District, The PeopleLodger Resort adjacent to Sci Fi Land, and additional stops at Disneyland Seoul Resort and The Nautilus Resort. Park guests can also enjoy the Resort Monorail as a means of exploring the hotels on property or to make dining reservations.​

ThemeParkPriest

Regional Transportation Updates

Already one of the busiest rail systems in the world. Seoul is currently in the midst of a major expansion to its network of rail lines in and around the city. Even with the miles upon miles of lines that traverse the region, ride times are a common complaint. Major extensions and new lines are planned and in process with openings slated over the next 5 years in multiple locations, with the updates made to increase connectivity, increase capacity, and decrease wait times. All of this bodes well for Disneyland Seoul as we work to partner with them on lines that will reach directly to the resort.

View attachment 558862
(a sampling of what locals and tourists must maneuver)
The current Seohai Line ends at Wonsi just north of the site running towards Gimpo International Airport where an extension, line GI is currently under construction that would bring near direct access to not only the airport but more connections to the city of Seoul itself. An extension will be used to connect this line from Wonsi to the resort as well as populations further south of Seoul.

From the west, Lines 1 and 4 runs east towards the site with connecting stops to the aforementioned lines that will enable access for cruise passengers disembarking from the Incheon Cruise Terminal, the country’s largest that recently completed a major update in 2019. Additional extensions will be built to the west of the resort further connecting Disneyland Seoul to all forms of travel and the greater population of Seoul.

All the rail updates serve to ensure the resort is easily accessed by both international travelers arriving at one of the two major airports and the cruise terminal. Combined with other improvements going on region wide not associated with Disneyland Seoul, the updates will make getting around easier and quicker. With all the updates, travel times from the travel arrivals and center city should all be well under an hour, with the Cruise Terminal and Gimpo airport clocking in around 30 minutes. Major bridge and road improvements around the plot of land connected to local highways are a necessity due to the mostly local and small roads currently accessing the site.

Closer to home, a separate park designated monorail will bring guests from the nearby station in minutes.
I love transit networks like that! I didn’t ride any trains in Seoul (besides the high speed one from the southern part of the county), but I did ride a couple of express buses. It’s a huge, densely-populated city! And they love their transit!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom