Disneyland Resort Update

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
It's a few days old--but in case you didn't see it on Mouseplanet:
Fantasyland is whole again – Following a yearlong effort in which the ride was rebuilt from the ground up, King Arthur Carrousel has returned. And just in time, allowing nostalgic couples to enjoy moonlit, and thankfully dry, rides on Valentine's evening.

Beyond the cosmetic changes, which include a fresh new paint job, new shade canopy, and beautifully restored horses, the ride boasts some new features. The most noticeable difference is the addition of a new bench seat, which replaces a row of four horses. A new special-assistance entrance and fold-down ramp allow riders to board the Carrousel without leaving their wheelchairs, or navigating the steep step onto the platform.

This modification created a lot of controversy among fans, cast members, and carrousel enthusiasts, as evidenced by the reader mail David Koenig received in reply to his Circular Reasoning column. However, the improved access thrilled others. Barbara V. said, "It's about time they caught up and did this." Her two children, who both use powered wheelchairs, are looking forward to riding the Carrousel for the first time in their lives.

The new ramp is well-themed to the Fantasyland decor. Nonskid material was applied in a clever diamond pattern on the surface of the ramp, and a unicorn design on the bottom is visible when the ramp is stowed. Other safety enhancements are equally well done. The new security cameras, which give the ride operators a 360-degree view of the entire ride as it spins, blend well into the structure.

The safety tape marking the edge of the platform is patterned in a clever diamond motif, a vast improvement on the garish yellow stripes applied elsewhere in the park. The surface of the new platform is a beautiful wood grain, giving the entire ride a rich new look.

Harold returns – The Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction, which was closed while workers made extensive safety modifications, also returned this weekend. The tunnels of the ride have been widened around the track, decreasing the chance that careless riders might scrape their hands or arms on the faux rocks as they travel through the mountain. Some show elements were repaired or replaced, and a scattering of small pine trees now lines the track. The initial climb into the mountain is much darker than before, and the eyes of "Harold," the Abominable Snowman, glow in shades of red, blue and violet.

Although the Matterhorn Bobsleds is finally open again, it looks like construction is not over. The mountain and dispatch building were not repainted during this rehab. The pavement around the attraction still bears the scars of the demolition work, and needs to be resurfaced and repainted. Expect the Bobsleds to close at least once more this year, to allow for the long-awaited implementation of Fastpass.

One day at a time – A series of one-day closures of selected Fantasyland "dark rides" begin this week, as the rides receive new ride operator control panels. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Peter Pan's Flight and Alice in Wonderland are affected this week, while Snow White's Scary Adventures and Pinocchio's Daring Journey receive updates next week.

Mark your calendars – Disneyland has announced that The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Playhouse Disney – Live on Stage! are expected to both open on Friday, April 11.

Security matters – With the country at the "orange" terrorism alert status, security measures at the Disneyland Resort have become much more visible. New signs at the driveway entrances to the resort hotels warn drivers that enhanced security measures are in place. Security guards posted near the toll booths inside the Mickey and Friends parking structure observe cars as they enter. More guards are stationed inside the structure, and in the tram esplanade outside the structure. Even more guards are stationed in the esplanade between Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. Most security guards stationed outside the parks now wear bright orange reflective vests.

In addition to the bag checks implemented after September 11, 2001, visitors entering the parks are now asked to open their coats and jackets for inspection. Anaheim police officers are often visible inside the parks, and police vehicles are frequently parked right in the esplanade.

Cupid Blues – Families and couples expecting to enjoy an aprés-park Valentine's Day dinner at Downtown Disney without a reservation faced a rude awakening Friday night. The Downtown Disney restaurants experienced their busiest night in recent memory, with full reservation books and standby waits topping an hour.

Napa Rose at the Grand Californian Hotel had filled all of its available Valentine's night slots in January, so the restaurant decided to offer its special menu on Saturday, February 15, to accommodate more diners. By 8:00 p.m., Hook's Point at the Disneyland Hotel had a standby wait of 90 minutes, and Catal at Downtown Disney was serving overflow crowds at their bar.

Even the Downtown Disney parking lot reached capacity, and closed before 8:00. New arrivals were directed to free parking in the overflow Pinocchio parking lot outside the Mickey and Friends parking structure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Refurbishments and Attraction Closures

Disneyland

Disney Gallery – January 26 through March 1
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes – through March 27
Rivers of America – through March 27
Mark Twain Riverboat – through March 27
Sailing Ship Columbia – through March 27
Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough – indefinite

Disney’s California Adventure
Superstar Limo – through May 21
Future Attraction Closures:

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride – February 18
Peter Pan's Flight – February 19
Alice in Wonderland – February 20
Splash Mountain – February 24 - March 13
Critter Country – February 24 - March 13
Snow White's Scary Adventures – February 25
Pinocchio's Daring Journey – February 26
Mad Tea Party – April 28 - May 15
Pirates of the Caribbean – April 28 - May 30
Blue Bayou Restaurant – April 28 - May 30
Indiana Jones Adventure – September 2 - October 24
Space Mountain – September 2003 - August 2004

Dateline: Main Street and Fantasyland
A cast member trumpets:

A little bit of trivia from a reliable source concerning one of the horses in the Princess Royal Fanfare. The white horse that Snow White rides sidesaddle on is a movie star. This horse is real mellow and is used to having people around him (unlike the horses that pull the carriages). One of the films Blanco appeared in is City Slickers. Remember that scene where Billy Crystal is on the cattle drive and he spots that white horse up on the cliff? That's Blanco.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dateline: Tomorrowland
A few weeks ago, a cast member wrote:

Sunday, the resort was overrun by bugs. Tiny gnats were swarming all over, much to the distress of cast members and guests. A cloud of these insects forced the cancellation of the first Club Buzz show of the day. There was a concern that the lead singer in the show might ingest them while performing.

A week later, he added:

Remember that bug problem we are having? Well, it got really bad this past Friday. The tiny critters swarmed in such numbers that the Astro Orbiter and the Autopia went 101 [shut down]. The 12:30 Club Buzz show was also canceled. The first Princess Royal Fanfare got hit, too. The bug cloud hit the Royal Court just as the princesses arrived at the end of their parade. Much to their distress and the guests'.

A cast member quipped, “With the way these bugs are swarming on us, it reminded me of one of the plagues that Moses brought upon Egypt.”

Dateline: Critter Country
A reader shares:

I heard from a good source a story regarding the new Pooh ride. It seems someone sneaked in the ride somehow and was photographing the interior. Cast members found this intruder and removed the film from his camera. I heard they are charging this person with the trespassing and with copyright infringement or something for taking pictures.

I also heard the three heads from the Country Bear's show (Melvin the Moose, Buff the Buffalo, and Max the Deer) that are in the ride are in their original spot they were in from that show. WDI did not move them.

Dateline: Frontierland
A cast member divulges:

A few weeks ago, I was walking through the park along the Rivers of America, when I saw two big red balloons go up at either corner of Tom Sawyer Island (the River has been recently drained). I asked one of the guys what those balloons were for, and he said it had something to do with The Pirates of the Caribbean movie premiere. I then looked over at one of the other gentlemen and noticed that he had a binder that said, “Pirates of the Caribbean Premiere.” He also had several pictures of a giant screen rendered on the Island where those two balloons were. They were talking about using the [Sailing Ship] Columbia for it, as well.

Does this mean they're planning on holding the premiere for the Pirates movie at Disneyland?

Dateline: New Orleans Square

One of my favorite Disneyland cast members, Disney Gallery hostess Beverly Butrum, returned to work at the end of January after a several months absence. A mutual friend writes:

Our beloved Gallery storyteller, Beverly, has decided to retire from her post. Her last day will be March 3, 2003 (3-3-03, she engineered it that way). She was fighting off an illness of some kind. She will be missed, not just by the cast, but by the many annual passholders and day-trippers who make it a point in their trips to come up to see Bev. Some have known her for many years, and introduced their children to Bev. Like Rod Miller, she is a Disneyland legend in every sense of the word.

There is an effort going on, as far as I've heard, to give Bev a window in the Gallery, or on Main Street. Also, the cast members are hoping to give her a huge send-off. They want everybody to come, former cast members, APs, friends, etc. I'll let you know when I have a definitive date.

Beverly will be working the first few days of the Pirates of the Caribbean exhibit in March. So, if people can't make the celebration, they can still say “good-bye” when they say “hello” to the new exhibit.

Dateline: Yesterland
Finally, my prayers are with the families of two Disneyland old-timers. The first week of February the park lost Hank Block, of Operations and the Order of the Red Handkerchief, and Dorothy Eno, who served as ________ Nunis's first secretary. Sigh. Club 55 keeps getting a little bit smaller.

blm07

The Matterhorn sounds like such a awesome ride, and I'm guessing all these rehabs are for the anniversary? Anyway, are there any videos of the Matterhorn online?

Thanks for all of the wonderful information. I'm just sick over the fact that my favorite ride anywhere -- Pirates -- will be out of commission when I visit in May. And the Blue Bayou restaurant. Darn it!! Any chance that it will be open in time for Memorial Day weekend?

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Anything is possible, but Disneyland tends to fall behind schedule more often than it gets ahead of schedule.

Rooster

Great info. I can't wait to go back in September. I've talked a good friend of mine and his wife to meet me nad my wife out there this year. They have never been to DL or DCA. THey are big WDW fans as I am. They are really excited to go to Disneyland Resort. I think each resort(DL & WDW) has its special charm. :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom