Disneyland Resort NYE Trip Report

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
Let me preface by saying this was a last minute trip, so everything was pretty spontaneous. I love the Orlando all Orlando parks (Disney, Universal, Sea World), but I’ve always wanted to go to Disneyland. Just from having general knowledge of the resort, I knew that while it would be similar in some respects, Disneyland Resort is also vastly different of an experience. I’ll spare you guys of all of the boring stuff and delve right into my Disney California Adventure (DCA) observations…

IMG_0267.jpg

- I arrived on New Year’s Eve… didn’t get over to DCA to until about 5:00 or so (after Disneyland for awhile) and saw the 10:15 World of Color and finally rang in the new year at midnight with the Mad T Party band, including light pyro after the countdown.
- My only regrets about the trip center on Mad T Party. I feel like, in general, I spent way too much time in this area and after seeing the World of Color New Years Eve fireworks on youtube, I regret ringing in the New Year with the freakin Mad T Party band (ugh).
- I never personally experienced it, but from everything I’ve seen through video and pictures, I feel like Mad T Party is a major downgrade from ElecTRONica. The “Who R U” guy is no comparison to Laserman and the way the event is set up, it has you going back and forth between stages VERY OFTEN.
- DJ Michael Paul deserves a lot of credit for making me spend so much time here though. Based on my research, he’s been around since at least Glow Fest and for good reason – I really enjoyed his sets both nights I saw him.

- Carsland – What can I say that hasn’t already been said? I found it amazing literally how it really felt like you were actually *there* and you actually had to search to find the attractions.
- Bathrooms are hard to find. Everywhere.
- Tower of Terror – Eh. I like the two-level load in the boiler room, but beyond that, it doesn’t come close to the original. The scale of the building is very weird as well.

Redcarnewsboys2.jpg

- Buena Vista Street is beautiful – I love the Red Car News Boys shows done with the Trolley.
- California Screamin’ – I enjoyed the ride a lot, if you’ve ever been on it, you’ll know it’s a long coaster. I feel like there was some missed opportunities however (possible second launch when it slows down in the tube going up the hill).
- Mike & Sulley to the Rescue – It’s lazy and cheap that they basically just made minor adjustments to the horrible façade and that they kept the Taxi’s from Superstar Limo. The actual ride is decent overall, but it needs help still.
- Aladdin: The Musical – Came late and ended up in the Balcony, but boy am I glad I got to see this show! I don’t even like Aladdin that much, but this show made me really love it. The Genie was hilarious.
- Condor Flats/Grizzly Peak – Didn’t step foot in either land. Nothing about going on Soarin’ or Grizzly River Run (especially with how cold it was) made me think twice about stepping foot in either land.
- Mermaid – Magic Kingdom’s version is better, if only because of the elaborate queue. The ride is virtually identical. However, speaking on the queue, DCA really doesn’t need all of that queue space MK uses. It was sitting at a 5 minute wait on New Years Eve.
- Unlike WDW, the FASTPASS system still allows returns after the return times. Couple that with the fact that many machines aren’t connected with each other, and you can easily collect a good amount of them between parks.
- World of Color – Not sure why FASTPASS would ever be necessary for this. Again, it was New Year’s Eve and I walked right up to edge of the water right before the show no problem.. The whole FP situation for WoC actually looked like hell.
IMG_0258.jpg

That’s pretty much it for DCA. I was very impressed with the park overall. Disneyland observations to come in Part 2…

Californian Elitist

Thanks for your notes! A second launch going down the hill could've been really cool, now that you mention it. Now I'm going to be thinking about that every time I ride Screamin'. :/

TP2000

- Mike & Sulley to the Rescue – It’s lazy and cheap that they basically just made minor adjustments to the horrible façade and that they kept the Taxi’s from Superstar Limo. The actual ride is decent overall, but it needs help still.

That’s pretty much it for DCA. I was very impressed with the park overall. Disneyland observations to come in Part 2…

The Superstar Limo façade was just painted to look like doors for Monsters Inc. But the vehicles in Superstar Limo weren't taxis, they were limousines, thus the name "Limo" in the attraction. :)

Here's what the ride vehicles looked like in 2001 when they were swanky limousines in LA.

LimoCar.jpg

Versus the ride vehicles today redone as taxicabs in Monstropolis.

l.jpg

And the entry to the ride in 2001 as Superstar Limo. There was a "placemaking" project in 2005 that added the fountain and planters and trees that are there now.

limo_exterior2001tm.jpg

Versus today as the "Wall 'O Doors" for Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue!

3717388812_1c2750630d_z.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2646/3717388812_1c2750630d_z.jpg

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
Limo or taxi, that wasn't really the point. The point was they took the cheap way by just refurbing the vehicles instead of ordering new ones.

Cosmic Commando

The Superstar Limo façade was just painted to look like doors for Monsters Inc. But the vehicles in Superstar Limo weren't taxis, they were limousines, thus the name "Limo" in the attraction. :)

Here's what the ride vehicles looked like in 2001 when they were swanky limousines in LA.

LimoCar.jpg
I swear we had this same car in front of the local K-Mart in like 1992. A quarter for two minutes of up-and-down.

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
Ah.

Out of curiosity, if you had an unlimited budget what would you have themed the vehicles driving visitors through Monstropolis to be?
With an unlimited budget, I probably would've changed more than just the ride vehicle. The ideal fit for that ride would be a Pan/ET type ride system (sort of like the rumored suspended MI family coaster as well). You'd be going through the ride from the view of a door rather than a taxi, which just seems forced. What is a taxi even doing there??? I realize this would coast a lot to change/implement, but imo, it would be the ideal fit for a ride like this.

Next Big Thing

Original Poster
Thanks for your notes! A second launch going down the hill could've been really cool, now that you mention it. Now I'm going to be thinking about that every time I ride Screamin'. :/
Yeah, I was waiting for it... and it just never happened. I still really enjoyed the ride though!

Cosmic Commando

With an unlimited budget, I probably would've changed more than just the ride vehicle. The ideal fit for that ride would be a Pan/ET type ride system (sort of like the rumored suspended MI family coaster as well). You'd be going through the ride from the view of a door rather than a taxi, which just seems forced. What is a taxi even doing there??? I realize this would coast a lot to change/implement, but imo, it would be the ideal fit for a ride like this.
But most of the ride, you're going through the city of Monstropolis. Presumably, the MI coaster would take place entirely in the door warehouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom