News Disneyland Resort Now CLOSED Due To Coronavirus - Reopening Date Unknown

Phrubruh

Advertisement
Anyone remember when we used to wish someone with a drone would fly it over the SWL construction???

I kinda wish someone would fly their drone over the empty park.
You would get a nasty visit from the FAA if you did.

choco choco

Screening temperatures is so funny.

If you have a temperature, why are you going to a theme park? A fever feels like a fever, who honestly feels like a day at the theme park when you have it?

And it's kinda, like, too late - there's all that period when you get into your parking and walk by all those people or sit in a tram or wait in line - by the time you are screened at the front, you've potentially spread it to plenty around you.

Mouse Trap

If you have a temperature, why are you going to a theme park? A fever feels like a fever, who honestly feels like a day at the theme park when you have it?

And it's kinda, like, too late - there's all that period when you get into your parking and walk by all those people or sit in a tram or wait in line - by the time you are screened at the front, you've potentially spread it to plenty around you.
You can very easily have a mild fever without realizing it.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

You can very easily have a mild fever without realizing it.
In addition, I don't know about anyone else's kids, but mine don't even slow down if they do have a fever. I've had times where my 4 year old will be running around and having fun, I'll pick him up and then recoil from shock as I realize he's warm. Of course, a dose of medicine later and there's no fever and he feels even better than he did before (when he was running around like crazy acting as if he was as healthy as could be).

Scanning temperatures doesn't really matter if you take medicine before you arrive and if you had a fever it breaks. Doesn't mean you're less likely to spread your germs to others, making them sick in the process.

Darkbeer1

To be honest, if they add the "health screening", it is just as good as security is, and that is it is more for show than anything else. Yes, it is a deterrent, but there are ways to get past it

Heck, even TSA admits it hasn't caught everything.

But it does give some assurance to most of the passengers.

Sailor310

Every time I wait 20 minutes in a screening line or think about all the $ for the extra staff for screening, I think,' doggone it, the terrorists are still winning.'
I hope years from now, when I'm waiting for my groceries to be carried out to the car, I won't be thinking, 'doggone it, we're still making allowances for that dang coronavirus'. (sorry about the language)

Phrubruh

In addition, I don't know about anyone else's kids, but mine don't even slow down if they do have a fever. I've had times where my 4 year old will be running around and having fun, I'll pick him up and then recoil from shock as I realize he's warm. Of course, a dose of medicine later and there's no fever and he feels even better than he did before (when he was running around like crazy acting as if he was as healthy as could be).

Scanning temperatures doesn't really matter if you take medicine before you arrive and if you had a fever it breaks. Doesn't mean you're less likely to spread your germs to others, making them sick in the process.
It's all that sugar your feeding them. ;)

Phrubruh

To be honest, if they add the "health screening", it is just as good as security is, and that is it is more for show than anything else. Yes, it is a deterrent, but there are ways to get past it

Heck, even TSA admits it hasn't caught everything.

But it does give some assurance to most of the passengers.
There have been a lot of reports that say TSA would have a easier time catching a cold than anything terrorist related.

fctiger

That is interesting to think on Lilofan…..if you stay on site you could get a prescreening to enter parks faster.....🤔. But somehow I still have to wonder about those who can spread it without having a temperature.....much like chickenpox, where you are contagious days before you show symptoms or spots....
Yeah that's the problem. And I wouldn't want to be one of those people who paid for a 5 day hotel stay with my family and took a flight just to be told my temperature is too high and I can't enter. It would definitely be high after that. ;)

But I do think that's where we are headed for when the parks open again. Now we won't just have our bags checked and enter through metal detectors, we'll probably have our temperature checked on top of those for the next year. Oh the joys of going to Disneyland!! 😷

fctiger

You literally just made the point why it would be premature to open up these parks anytime soon. Many people go to theme parks when they are sick, especially if its just a cold or a touch of the fever. Not everyone can just go when they want or after planning to go for weeks or months they are not going to let being a little sick stop them. My mother did it all time. We would tell her we can go another time, but she always insists she is fine and can go. And the crazy thing is she usually is fine lol but it's still not ideal. And because no one can really distinguish this between just the common flu, at least in the early stages, its really risky to put so many people at risk.

I don't care what system Disney has in place, none of them are going to be as effective as simply keeping everyone away from each other for awhile.

JD2000

nearly instantaneous tests need to be developed before they screen guests; as fever does not mean coronavirus. turned away for a cold would be absolutely unreasonable for tourists.

fctiger

nearly instantaneous tests need to be developed before they screen guests; as fever does not mean coronavirus. turned away for a cold would be absolutely unreasonable for tourists.
But are people actually suggesting that would be done at the park itself? I just don't think that's realistic. And are there tests like that for other illnesses like the flu? I mean most people just check their temperature and obviously if they feel sick or not. I certainly agree people shouldn't be turned away just by having a cold but that's the entire problem. These 'solutions' just aren't feasible in the near future. Even if someone can prove they have just a cold and get in the park but still coughing and sneezing its still going to freak out other people there. Obviously not forever, but while people are still dying in the hundreds or thousands every day then yeah.

Dr. Hans Reinhardt

In a recent interview with Barron’s Magazine, Bob Iger shared some insight into how the new normal might look at Disney Parks. Emphasis mine.

We’re studying very carefully what China has been trying to do in terms of their return to normalcy, and one of the things that’s obvious is they’ve conscripted a large segment of their population to monitor others in terms of their health. You can’t get on a bus or a subway or a train or enter a high-rise building there—and I’m sure this will be the case when their schools reopen—without having your temperature taken.”
“Just as we now do bag checks for everybody that goes into our parks, it could be that at some point we add a component of that that takes people’s temperatures, as a for-instance.”

fctiger

In a recent interview with Barron’s Magazine, Bob Iger shared some insight into how the new normal might look at Disney Parks. Emphasis mine.

We’re studying very carefully what China has been trying to do in terms of their return to normalcy, and one of the things that’s obvious is they’ve conscripted a large segment of their population to monitor others in terms of their health. You can’t get on a bus or a subway or a train or enter a high-rise building there—and I’m sure this will be the case when their schools reopen—without having your temperature taken.”
“Just as we now do bag checks for everybody that goes into our parks, it could be that at some point we add a component of that that takes people’s temperatures, as a for-instance.”
I do think as others have said the Asian parks will basically be a precursor of what they do here as well. Assuming one of those open first (and I don't how they wouldn't given we are still weeks if not months behind them) then more than likely that will be one of the things they do, at least at a minimum. But as someone said, that's still mostly for show because many people show zero symptoms and still have it. But I guess they have to do SOMETHING if they want to open the parks by June or July and that they are taking some precautions.

And in China they gone one step farther with it as Iger noted. People are literally tacked by every location with their cell phones and i they can even enter a building or not. I don't see anything like that happening here of course.

BrianLo

Not really a thing unfortunately. Even rapid Influ/RSV takes 4-6 hours (Rapid = Not 2 days). By virtue of the way PCRs are done you cannot really make them run any faster.

Not to say sequencing something on the spot won't be possible eventually, but not on scale and appropriate cost for mass use. For this pandemic at least.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

Not really a thing unfortunately. Even rapid Influ/RSV takes 4-6 hours (Rapid = Not 2 days). By virtue of the way PCRs are done you cannot really make them run any faster.

Not to say sequencing something on the spot won't be possible eventually, but not on scale and appropriate cost for mass use. For this pandemic at least.
There's been a lot of discussion around 15 minute tests being approved and rolled out this month.

BrianLo

There's been a lot of discussion around 15 minute tests being approved and rolled out this month.
Same method as Rapid Flu/RSV unfortunately. The physical test can be done 'in 15 minutes', but there is man power, transport, reporting, backlogs etc. A 15 minute test still takes a few hours for us to get the results in hand.

More or less I just wanted to say there is not a solution that is adequate for spot-screening to enter the theme parks, airport screening, that type of mass-public rollout. For that type of practicality you need a "bedside test", not a rapid test.

A means of screening health care workers, maybe? But even that requires a ton of man power.

Not to mention the cost.

Top Bottom