News Disneyland Resort Now CLOSED Due To Coronavirus - Reopening Date Unknown

mharrington

The public has a short memory. How many people have emergency supplies for earthquakes and other natural disasters? I bet even now most of you don't. (outside of toilet paper)
The problem is, this is a new thing. In the past, Disneyland was only closed for only one day (such as for 9/11). Yes, people came back eventually, but now the park has been closed for several weeks and could very well be closed for a couple of months or so. I have a feeling the memories of this will last much, much longer than anything on 9/11.

Hope is like the sun. If you only believe it when you see it you'll never make it through the night.
In my area, it has been cloudy/rainy in my area, so it's hard to see it when it's cloudy.

Darkbeer1

Advertisement
The public has a short memory. How many people have emergency supplies for earthquakes and other natural disasters? I bet even now most of you don't. (outside of toilet paper)
Always had extra bottled water, can goods and other shelf staple goods, toilet paper, etc. Learned that growing up, came in handy when I hit some tough financial times where my income was hit or miss.

Better to spend a bit extra in your wallet on things you need instead of things you want!

Darkbeer1

Aloha Darkbeer1,

I greatly appreciate your contributions but wonder when you sleep? Or how many hours you need to sleep? In bed by 2 AM and up again by 6 AM. Perhaps enjoy a much needed nap during the day?
I have been trying to get to bed by midnight, but been closer to 1 AM.

Alarm is at 5:40 AM.

Yesterday, since I had a 6:30 PM call that I was a key speaker, I took a 2 hour nap around 11 AM.

The 6 AM call is pretty much saying present, listening, and sometimes asking a question at the end. Though there are times when I get asked a question. Need to be awake for those surprise comments.

But yes, I can function on about 5 hours of sleep, then a long sleep on one day a week.

Phrubruh

The problem is, this is a new thing. In the past, Disneyland was only closed for only one day (such as for 9/11). Yes, people came back eventually, but now the park has been closed for several weeks and could very well be closed for a couple of months or so. I have a feeling the memories of this will last much, much longer than anything on 9/11.
Natural disasters happen every year and still people don't prepare. Unemployment happens all the time but still people don't have six months to a year of savings. Thinking about the future is hard for people living in the present.

mharrington

Natural disasters happen every year and still people don't prepare. Unemployment happens all the time but still people don't have six months to a year of savings. Thinking about the future is hard for people living in the present.
But in the context of Disneyland, natural disasters hit hard and fast and the response was just as fast. This is going much slower and taking much longer.

truecoat

Companies need to follow suit and stop with the stock buybacks. The airlines spent 13 billion the last 10 years on stock buybacks for example and now they need a handout?

mdcpr

Hmm, then this attitude should change. Even my 2 teenagers know that while you should embrace life, you should prepare for the future.

Mouse Trap

Companies need to follow suit and stop with the stock buybacks. The airlines spent 13 billion the last 10 years on stock buybacks for example and now they need a handout?
Ha! Try $47 billion collectively. $13B is maybe what one carrier spent.

Funny... they're now asking for about $50B+ in bailout money...

Phrubruh

The question isn't whether they need it or not. It is free money and they will grab it if they can.
Hmm, then this attitude should change. Even my 2 teenagers know that while you should embrace life, you should prepare for the future.
You're lucky you have smart teenagers.

Ismael Flores

and they also did not have any problem charging $5 dollars for water bottles, I really hate USA owned airline carriers.

bad service and they try to steal every penny from your pockets and yet they keep getting bailed out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If the money didn't goto buybacks... it would have gone to other things.

Corporations as a whole do not sit on years of profits as a piggy bank. The investors want that money...

It's a sad cycle... but the problem is 'us'. When everyone sees the stock market as a way to make money, instead of invest in businesses that generate a long term return.. This is what we get. People want money returned to investors... more than they want healthy long term companies.

truecoat

If the money didn't goto buybacks... it would have gone to other things.

Corporations as a whole do not sit on years of profits as a piggy bank. The investors want that money...

It's a sad cycle... but the problem is 'us'. When everyone sees the stock market as a way to make money, instead of invest in businesses that generate a long term return.. This is what we get. People want money returned to investors... more than they want healthy long term companies.
And yet $15 an hour is out of reach.

mandelbrot

Wouldn't even compare Asia to US. China is lying about numbers left and right. Tokyo isn't owned by Disney.
I'm not sure how much those things matter. Disney can't reopen domestic parks without government approval. Similar to their Asian parks. It's about the timeline for when social distancing guidelines can be relaxed as a response to the course of the pandemic. That the Asian parks have remained closed for as long as they have provides at least some clue for how long the domestic parks may have to be kept closed. It's not apples to apples but Disneyland will probably be closed for at least three months.

Top Bottom