News Disneyland Resort Now CLOSED Due To Coronavirus - Reopening Date Unknown

Dr. Hans Reinhardt

"The American flag in Disneyland’s Town Square had not been raised and lowered each day while the park was closed because there was not enough staff trained in flag protocol to perform the ceremony, Disney officials said."

What? How hard can it be to train people to do this?

When I was 17 I worked at a McDonald's (hard to believe, I know) in Berkeley that had a flagpole out front. One of my duties was to lower the American flag at sunset with a coworker. There really isn't much to the our flag etiquette besides understanding how to fold/unfold the flag, hoisting and lowering it, and not letting it touch the ground. The code can literally be posted on a single web page.

Mouse Trap

@Darkbeer1 have you heard any word on when the major hotel chains are planning to reopen in the resort area?

Most hotels closed in Orlando are planning for the last week of May and I was looking for a comparison.

"The American flag in Disneyland’s Town Square had not been raised and lowered each day while the park was closed because there was not enough staff trained in flag protocol to perform the ceremony, Disney officials said."

When I was 17 I worked at a McDonald's (hard to believe, I know) in Berkeley that had a flagpole out front. One of my duties was to lower the American flag at sunset with a coworker. There really isn't much to the our flag etiquette besides understanding how to fold/unfold the flag, hoisting and lowering it, and not letting it touch the ground. The code can literally be posted on a single web page.
This is strange to me, too. When I was in elementary school, it was the fourth-graders' job to have two kids go out every day to raise and lower the flag. All we had to do was fold it properly and not let it touch the ground. They trusted a couple of 9-year-olds to do this with no supervision. So how much training does Disney think is needed? Do they do a full-on ceremony even with no guests or something?

Darkbeer1

@Darkbeer1 have you heard any word on when the major hotel chains are planning to reopen in the resort area?

Most hotels closed in Orlando are planning for the last week of May and I was looking for a comparison.
The working date is mid-May, but that is for internal purposes.

I just got off a conference call, and a city official said that in mid-April, they should know if they will extend the current April 30th closures.

But the key is if the Convention Center, Honda Center, Angel Stadium or the DLR are planning to open. No need to be open without guests.....

Nirya

Word around MLB has been they're considering a 4th of July start date for the season. This is in part with places like Toronto canceling public events as far out as June 30th. There's also plans for starting the season again but without fans, but that wouldn't help the Anaheim area all that much.

Darkbeer1

March 27: MLB, MLBPA hoping to start games as early as June
Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association struck a deal on critical salary and service-time issues Thursday night, allowing the sides to prepare together for a season delayed indefinitely by the coronavirus pandemic, sources told ESPN.

While there is no formal framework in the agreement, owners and players both want to play as many games as possible, with an eye on returning to training camps in mid-May and starting games as early as June -- even if they play in front of no fans. The flexibility of both sides was seen in the willingness to extend the regular season into October, play neutral-site playoff games in November and add doubleheaders to the schedule.

March 27: MLB, MLBPA hoping to start games as early as June
Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association struck a deal on critical salary and service-time issues Thursday night, allowing the sides to prepare together for a season delayed indefinitely by the coronavirus pandemic, sources told ESPN.

While there is no formal framework in the agreement, owners and players both want to play as many games as possible, with an eye on returning to training camps in mid-May and starting games as early as June -- even if they play in front of no fans. The flexibility of both sides was seen in the willingness to extend the regular season into October, play neutral-site playoff games in November and add doubleheaders to the schedule.
Aloha Darkbeer1,

I greatly appreciate your contributions but wonder when you sleep? Or how many hours you need to sleep? In bed by 2 AM and up again by 6 AM. Perhaps enjoy a much needed nap during the day?

Lilofan

Word around MLB has been they're considering a 4th of July start date for the season. This is in part with places like Toronto canceling public events as far out as June 30th. There's also plans for starting the season again but without fans, but that wouldn't help the Anaheim area all that much.
Heard also Yankees and Mets might open season in FL since NYC may not be a safe place to start the season.

Disney Irish

Heard also Yankees and Mets might open season in FL since NYC may not be a safe place to start the season.
I kinda expect FL to become the next hot zone given the delay by their governor to issue a shelter-in-place order. Which would in my opinion delay WDW from reopening by at least a couple weeks after DLR.

But I do expect NFL to look to having games isolated away from the public if this continues beyond summer into fall. And MLB I expect will have an abbreviated season like during the strike years, starting games up in the summer also isolated.

TINKWINGS

Premium Member
Been pondering, keep seeing Dr Gupta showing how to wipe down groceries and wipe wipe wipe all over the place.....think I got 8 bottles of wipes when this began and they are running out....so I save them for doorknobs and sparingly....but my point is this, don't know about you guys but I have not been able to find ANY disinfecting wipes anywhere for weeks. Finally they popped up allover Amazon again to be disclaimer status to only be available to hospitals etc.....which I understand but how is one to wipe? I have hydrogen peroxide in spray bottle and vinegar as well(separate bottles NOT mixed), and I read once to spray both on a surface and let it sit 10 minutes then wipe off. to disinfect AFTER you clean....(.one of those green things but maybe our resident microbiologist can weigh in!)..have a lot of paper towels so its rather make your own wipe status....:cool:. SO been doing that and otherwise utilizing disposable gloves when I handle packages and mail arriving at my house....of course I see wipes on Ebay for a fortune..... :oops:

Last edited:

TINKWINGS

Premium Member
Sure would be nice to have more reasons to celebrate the 4th of July! 👍 🎆🇺🇸

Phrubruh

Maybe they need to have a volunteer boy scout troop come by?

Mouse Trap

I just got off a conference call, and a city official said that in mid-April, they should know if they will extend the current April 30th closures.

But the key is if the Convention Center, Honda Center, Angel Stadium or the DLR are planning to open. No need to be open without guests.....
Makes sense. Biggest development I've heard out of Orlando is that MegaCon (100K+ attendance in 2019) just rescheduled from April to June 4th.

While Disney can surely implement all sorts of measures to meet government guidelines -- I don't see how something like MegaCon can.

shambolicdefending

As we start to inch closer to the summer, I wonder if places like Disneyland will have to rethink their operations to take into account a public that will probably never again be as tolerant of crowded places as we were three months ago.

Phrubruh

As we start to inch closer to the summer, I wonder if places like Disneyland will have to rethink their operations to take into account a public that will probably never again be as tolerant of crowded places as we were three months ago.
The public has a short memory. How many people have emergency supplies for earthquakes and other natural disasters? I bet even now most of you don't. (outside of toilet paper)

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

I'm holding out hope.

Top Bottom