News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

TP2000

Do you guys realize that about 1 in 6 California residents has been infected already? It sounds impossible, but here are the numbers:

As of yesterday, the confirmed case count was 625,307.
California has a population of 39.51 million.
That makes 1.58% of the population confirmed cases.
The CDC estimates the actual case count is 10 times the number of confirmed cases (probably higher, but let's say 10).
That makes 15.8% of the population.
Divide that by 100 and you get about 6.3.

So reasonable estimates put infection at 1 in 6 people after 5 months of lockdowns. I dunno about you guys but I don't think the results have been worth the price.

10 times the confirmed case count is a very, very conservative estimation of actual cases. Stanford University did an antibody test earlier in the year and found that the actual case count was likely 50 times higher than the confirmed cases just in Santa Clara County. 50 times the confirmed cases!

Tamandua

I think I had it earlier in the year.

That being said, I don't know anyone who knows anyone who has died from it.

My dad and I both had the worst illnesses of our lives in early February. We both eventually got tested for antibodies as tests were impossible to come by when we had it. We were both negative. Not sure if the tests are that unreliable or we just happened to have something as bad or worse than covid, but it makes me think the statistics are lower than they should be. If we didn't have covid, then I wonder why no one is freaking out over whatever we did have, because my dad didn't think he would survive it. I never thought I'd come close to dying when I was sick, but it was still terrible.

Emmanuel

Back on topic, my strong suspicion is that the state will allow theme parks to begin reopening some time after labor day. I personally think waiting that long is a mistake, as the state could use the theme parks and other entertainment venues to reduce crowding at other venues like the beaches and it would also head off people traveling to other states just to find something fun to go and do over the long weekend. But I strongly suspect this is the route that will be taken for a variety of reasons.

My guess is that with 1 county taken off the monitoring list with San Diego being taken off the list as early as tomorrow as stated by Gavin, we’ll see a potential slow domino effect of other counties getting off the list. Don’t know what’s the current COVID status for Orange is but I imagine that both OC and LA will probably be among the last to get off the list

Emmanuel

DF0CCB8D-514C-4B3E-9FCB-723E02C1A248.jpeg
76712E6A-FD84-4B6C-AFCE-64753F950D0F.jpeg
B3D4E408-E2E8-4C46-B138-1C79E8454E6F.jpeg

Tamandua

It's crazy. I live in Los Angeles and statistically I should know a bunch of people who've had covid, but I don't know any. One person tested positive where my wife works (asymptomatic). That's the closest I've been. None of the 50 people at my job have had it. Sometimes I wonder if everyone I know had it and the tests just don't work. Everyone at work was sick in February, but I don't know of anyone testing positive for the virus or antibodies.

Nirya

10 times the confirmed case count is a very, very conservative estimation of actual cases. Stanford University did an antibody test earlier in the year and found that the actual case count was likely 50 times higher than the confirmed cases just in Santa Clara County. 50 times the confirmed cases!

They had to walk that whole report back once their methodology was proved to be faulty.

Californian Elitist

Disneyland reopening was postponed due to covid spike. How are covid numbers not relevant to this thread?

The COVID-19 discussion currently is not centered around Disneyland.

Our threads keep getting deleted and/or moved because of these discussions in the wrong threads. I can see you haven’t been for for long, but that’s what’s been happening.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The point I was making is, Disneyland is charging for everything, where as, Knotts is giving you something.
First we don't know what Disneyland would do if they were to open Main St just as a shopping and dining event. So you can't say they are charging for everything when nothing has even happened yet.

Second Knott's events are similar to Food and Wine at DCA, so they aren't "giving you something". You are buying access to the event which includes access to Knott's as well as the shopping areas. The 5 tastings are part of the price you pay.

Lastly the Knott's example was to show that Disney's peers are finding ways to make money by reopening certain areas. The point is Disney can and should do the same thing, and would be more successful than Knott's.

Nirya

Let’s be honest

Disney is gonna charge folks $50 for “Limited Time Magic”, in which you’ll get two hours to shop on Main Street, eat (while socially distanced!) at one of the restaurants or carts, and take a picture at one of two locations (castle and train station).

And you know there will be enough desperate people that Disney will make some good money off of it.

Curious Constance

Let’s be honest

Disney is gonna charge folks $50 for “Limited Time Magic”, in which you’ll get two hours to shop on Main Street, eat (while socially distanced!) at one of the restaurants or carts, and take a picture at one of two locations (castle and train station).

And you know there will be enough desperate people that Disney will make some good money off of it.
Disney most definitely will make you pay for the chance to spend more money in their stores and restaurants. Doesn’t anyone remember the pay to pay full price for all five specialty churro promotion a few years ago?

el_super

I imagine if it is a real thing they are considering, it will include making guests pay just to be on Main Street, and then charging them for whatever dining and shopping they do. See: literally every other Disneyland decision for the last some-odd years.

If they charge people to be on Main Street then what is that? A theme park? Knott's seems to be getting around it, by charging for the tasting event, but honestly, if Disneyland tries to open in a similar fashion, it will get them (and probably Knott's too) both shut down. It's not worth the risk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom