News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not sure what metric you are using, but by metrics such as Deaths Per Capita and Cases Per Capita, California is right in the middle of the pack of the 50 states (in the bottom half actually). That's where we've been throughout the pandemic for the past 4 months.

And roughly half of the deaths in California come from one single county; Los Angeles County, even though LA County's 10 Million residents are only 25% of the state population.

These stats are updated daily, and constantly in flux.

In the scariest metric, Deaths Per 1 Million Residents, here is where California stands among the 50 states, with the top 3 stats for deaths per capita as a point of reference, plus Florida as the other state with a Disneyland...

1. New Jersey = 1,800 Deaths Per 1 Million New Jerseyans
2. New York = 1,692 Deaths Per 1 Million New Yorkers
3. Massachusetts = 1,272 Deaths Per 1 Million Bay Staters
18. Florida = 444 Deaths Per 1 Million Floridians
28. California = 285 Deaths Per 1 Million Californians

In the metric of Confirmed Cases Per 1 Million Residents, here is the similar stats and where California falls among the 50 states...

1. Louisiana = 29,789 Cases Per 1 Million Louisianans
2. Florida = 26,882 Cases Per 1 Million Floridians
3. Arizona = 26,654 Cases Per 1 Million Arizonans
21. California = 15,979 Cases Per 1 Million Californians

One metric where California is tops is in the number of tests provided as of today, which makes sense as we are the most populous state...

1. California = 9,993,780 Tests Given To Californians
2. New York = 7,125,087 Tests Given To New Yorkers
3. Texas = 4,816,487 Tests Given To Texans

As of today, just over 71 Million Covid Tests have been administered in the United States for American citizens.

Stats are updated daily and may be found here. I watch these numbers constantly!

Also interesting is the Orange County stats, which are also updated daily and may be found here. Here you can see that Orange County is well below four of the five metrics being tracked for California's county watch list. OC has been trending well below the four metrics for several weeks now, although the Case Rate Per 100,000 is higher than the very low threshold of 25 per 100,000 that Governor Newsom set forth as the benchmark.

Seems a bit odd that when you're looking at the entire history of the severity of COVID cases you use the metric as per population... which is a perfectly fine metric to look at.

But... when you try to present a snapshot of how things look right now, all of a sudden, you switch your metric and no longer use a per population figure. Instead, you use the immediate absolute number of cases right now.

Any reason why that switch?

Anyhoo, when you get a snapshot of what's happening right now across the country, guess who's ranking number seven among all the states per population?

1597699215953.png

Also, you need to look at trends. A snapshot of the present may not seem so bad right now, especially when you attempt to trivialize it by comparing it to historical out-of-control hot spots like NY, but where are the numbers going? If they're on a geometric curve upward, then things can get very bad, very fast... like it was for NY.

1597699616966.png

And look, a geometric upward curve in the trend line. That you started to beat. And then failed.

You keep comparing how you're not like NY, except... you are if you look at the upward curve. NY's upward curve looked like that once, too.

And it seems you don't want to be like NY, so, you need to make hard choices and sacrifices so you don't become another NY.

The good news is that you're rate of positives is relatively low (~5%). The bad news is that's it's been plateauing for a long time. That means every time you all in CA let your guard down, the cases will rise geometrically. You want to get the positivity rate under 1% and then things can go back to normal, even before there's a vaccine.

1597699813998.png

ThreadMaster5

I don't know if you're saying awful because of the design, or because you think costuming produces bad quality items.

I can't speak on the quality, but the overall design I actually like it.
Both, why are the cast and costuming making the mask? Shouldn’t someone in healthcare be collaborating on something like that? Input? Sure they should have input but idk about designing it themselves

ThreadMaster5

I'm not sure what metric you are using, but by metrics such as Deaths Per Capita and Cases Per Capita, California is right in the middle of the pack of the 50 states (in the bottom half actually). That's where we've been throughout the pandemic for the past 4 months.

And roughly half of the deaths in California come from one single county; Los Angeles County, even though LA County's 10 Million residents are only 25% of the state population.

These stats are updated daily, and constantly in flux.

In the scariest metric, Deaths Per 1 Million Residents, here is where California stands among the 50 states, with the top 3 stats for deaths per capita as a point of reference, plus Florida as the other state with a Disneyland...

1. New Jersey = 1,800 Deaths Per 1 Million New Jerseyans
2. New York = 1,692 Deaths Per 1 Million New Yorkers
3. Massachusetts = 1,272 Deaths Per 1 Million Bay Staters
18. Florida = 444 Deaths Per 1 Million Floridians
28. California = 285 Deaths Per 1 Million Californians

In the metric of Confirmed Cases Per 1 Million Residents, here is the similar stats and where California falls among the 50 states...

1. Louisiana = 29,789 Cases Per 1 Million Louisianans
2. Florida = 26,882 Cases Per 1 Million Floridians
3. Arizona = 26,654 Cases Per 1 Million Arizonans
21. California = 15,979 Cases Per 1 Million Californians

One metric where California is tops is in the number of tests provided as of today, which makes sense as we are the most populous state...

1. California = 9,993,780 Tests Given To Californians
2. New York = 7,125,087 Tests Given To New Yorkers
3. Texas = 4,816,487 Tests Given To Texans

As of today, just over 71 Million Covid Tests have been administered in the United States for American citizens.

Stats are updated daily and may be found here. I watch these numbers constantly!

Also interesting is the Orange County stats, which are also updated daily and may be found here. Here you can see that Orange County is well below four of the five metrics being tracked for California's county watch list. OC has been trending well below the four metrics for several weeks now, although the Case Rate Per 100,000 is higher than the very low threshold of 25 per 100,000 that Governor Newsom set forth as the benchmark.

I’m using CDC data right from the website
Total cases: #1
Cases last 7 days: number 1 and it’s not even close, 21k more than the next state
Total deaths: #3

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Both, why are the cast and costuming making the mask? Shouldn’t someone in healthcare be collaborating on something like that? Input? Sure they should have input but idk about designing it themselves
How do you know that Disney isn't consulting with MedShare like they did for the face masks they are selling on ShopDisney?

Also these don't have to be the N95 medical grade masks as required by healthcare workers. The CDC has stated that other type of masks such as cloth work just as well for the public.

ThreadMaster5

How do you know that Disney isn't consulting with MedShare like they did for the face masks they are selling on ShopDisney?

Also these don't have to be the N95 medical grade masks as required by healthcare workers. The CDC has stated that other type of masks such as cloth work just as well for the public.
Why are you assuming that I think they need to be N95 lol I never said that

el_super

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread that much so i’m not sure if this has been mentioned but Downtown Disney workers are saying that there has been talks to open Main Street up for dining and shopping.

Probably just a rumor. If anything were happening, it won't be soon since they are repainting Main Street at the moment.

Overall though it's a really bad idea. Not only does it start to undercut the businesses in Downtown Disney, but if you're Disney, you end up giving away something for free (or very cheap) that you are going to desperately need people to spend money on once the park is allowed to reopen.

Of course there's also that whole idea that the more businesses keep trying to skirt the rules and create more opportunities for virus spread, the longer this whole thing will continue.

Nirya

Probably just a rumor. If anything were happening, it won't be soon since they are repainting Main Street at the moment.

Overall though it's a really bad idea. Not only does it start to undercut the businesses in Downtown Disney, but if you're Disney, you end up giving away something for free (or very cheap) that you are going to desperately need people to spend money on once the park is allowed to reopen.

Of course there's also that whole idea that the more businesses keep trying to skirt the rules and create more opportunities for virus spread, the longer this whole thing will continue.

I imagine if it is a real thing they are considering, it will include making guests pay just to be on Main Street, and then charging them for whatever dining and shopping they do. See: literally every other Disneyland decision for the last some-odd years.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I imagine if it is a real thing they are considering, it will include making guests pay just to be on Main Street, and then charging them for whatever dining and shopping they do. See: literally every other Disneyland decision for the last some-odd years.
Not only that but see their peers, Knott's for example, doing the very same thing. So yes I expect they are considering it very seriously, especially if they've gotten indication the closure might last longer than September.

cmwade77

Seems a bit odd that when you're looking at the entire history of the severity of COVID cases you use the metric as per population... which is a perfectly fine metric to look at.

But... when you try to present a snapshot of how things look right now, all of a sudden, you switch your metric and no longer use a per population figure. Instead, you use the immediate absolute number of cases right now.

Any reason why that switch?

Anyhoo, when you get a snapshot of what's happening right now across the country, guess who's ranking number seven among all the states per population?

View attachment 491549

Also, you need to look at trends. A snapshot of the present may not seem so bad right now, especially when you attempt to trivialize it by comparing it to historical out-of-control hot spots like NY, but where are the numbers going? If they're on a geometric curve upward, then things can get very bad, very fast... like it was for NY.

View attachment 491550

And look, a geometric upward curve in the trend line. That you started to beat. And then failed.

You keep comparing how you're not like NY, except... you are if you look at the upward curve. NY's upward curve looked like that once, too.

And it seems you don't want to be like NY, so, you need to make hard choices and sacrifices so you don't become another NY.

The good news is that you're rate of positives is relatively low (~5%). The bad news is that's it's been plateauing for a long time. That means every time you all in CA let your guard down, the cases will rise geometrically. You want to get the positivity rate under 1% and then things can go back to normal, even before there's a vaccine.

View attachment 491551
California also has some of the highest testing per capita, but the reality is if you remove the number of deaths that would have occurred anyway during the time frame we have been tracking COVID and account for the total number of deaths (not counting suicides and the like), you find that there is no significant increase in the number of deaths during this time period than there normally would have been. In other words the majority of those who "died from COVID" would likely have died this year anyway, as a majority are older than 78, have underlying conditions, etc.

cmwade77

Back on topic, my strong suspicion is that the state will allow theme parks to begin reopening some time after labor day. I personally think waiting that long is a mistake, as the state could use the theme parks and other entertainment venues to reduce crowding at other venues like the beaches and it would also head off people traveling to other states just to find something fun to go and do over the long weekend. But I strongly suspect this is the route that will be taken for a variety of reasons.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Back on topic, my strong suspicion is that the state will allow theme parks to begin reopening some time after labor day. I personally think waiting that long is a mistake, as the state could use the theme parks and other entertainment venues to reduce crowding at other venues like the beaches and it would also head off people traveling to other states just to find something fun to go and do over the long weekend. But I strongly suspect this is the route that will be taken for a variety of reasons.

I agree with you, but I also fear that the same thing that happened around July 4 will happen again, with spikes and with shut downs. So give it a month after Labor Day weekend and hair salons will reopen, then they will consider theme parks, and oh look, it’s November 😢

ThreadMaster5

Doubtful

ThreadMaster5

California also has some of the highest testing per capita, but the reality is if you remove the number of deaths that would have occurred anyway during the time frame we have been tracking COVID and account for the total number of deaths (not counting suicides and the like), you find that there is no significant increase in the number of deaths during this time period than there normally would have been. In other words the majority of those who "died from COVID" would likely have died this year anyway, as a majority are older than 78, have underlying conditions, etc.
Lol Oh really? How’s that? My grandparents are both older than 78 with underlying conditions and they weren’t going to die this year, meanwhile my uncle who was 47 with none died from Covid in less than a week

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

You got a source for that?

Tamandua

Do you guys realize that about 1 in 6 California residents has been infected already? It sounds impossible, but here are the numbers:

As of yesterday, the confirmed case count was 625,307.
California has a population of 39.51 million.
That makes 1.58% of the population confirmed cases.
The CDC estimates the actual case count is 10 times the number of confirmed cases (probably higher, but let's say 10).
That makes 15.8% of the population.
Divide that by 100 and you get about 6.3.

So reasonable estimates put infection at 1 in 6 people after 5 months of lockdowns. I dunno about you guys but I don't think the results have been worth the price.

Attachments

• 20200817_095023.jpg
    20200817_095023.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200817_094918.jpg
    20200817_094918.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200817_095152.jpg
    20200817_095152.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 50

TP2000

I’m using CDC data right from the website
Total cases: #1
Cases last 7 days: number 1 and it’s not even close, 21k more than the next state
Total deaths: #3

Ah, well that makes sense since there are 40 Million people who live in California. California is the most populous state in the union by a longshot. Number 2 is Texas, and they only have 29 Million. New York State is 4th with 19 Million.

California has the most vehicle deaths, the most suicides, the most drug overdoses, the most divorces, the most pizza parties, the most cancer deaths, the most Starbucks, the most cars, the most of everything because it has the most people.

The majority of US states only have about 3 or 4 Million people living in the entire state. Many western states are physically large, but sparsely populated like Idaho with only 1.7 Million, or Montana with barely 1 Million, or Wyoming with less than 600,000.

Orange County alone has 3.3 Million people, the same amount as Idaho, Montana and Wyoming combined.

Orange County = 948 Square Miles, 3.3 Million People
Idaho, Montana & Wyoming = 330,000 Square Miles, 3.3 Million People

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom