News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

PiratesMansion

it doesn’t mean it’s because COVID is so bad right now—though obviously that’s a great assumption. It could be because the finances aren’t there. 🤷🏻‍♀️

True, but let's be honest; if you told a lot of people that you were going to go to a theme park right now, particularly if it was in a hostpot area/state, many people that don't frequent boards like this would look at you like you were insane!

cmwade77

Reportedly other countries paid their citizens to stay home. That would probably dramatically lower stress, particularly about finances, in addition to reducing covid exposure/outcomes.

Are we not the richest country in the world? Could we not do/have done the same thing?

Just reopening theme parks/businesses/things is not a magical cure all. Not saying we need to keep things closed for as long as possible either, just saying the situation requires a bit more nuance.
Actually many of those countries also have had higher suicide rates than COVID deaths, so, no, throwing money at it doesn't fix it.

cmwade77

True, but let's be honest; if you told a lot of people that you were going to go to a theme park right now, particularly if it was in a hostpot area/state, many people that don't frequent boards like this would look at you like you were insane!
Sorry, if they or anyone else wants to cower in fear, let them, but don't expect me to do the same.

Yes, COVID is out there, yes there are risks, it's not that I believe there aren't, I just believe taking the risks are worth it to actually live life. I mean seriously, you have less than a 0.04% chance of getting COVID. It is time to.reopen theme parks. Yes, do it safely with social distancing, handwashing stations, etc., But open them.

DrAlice

Sorry to interrupt the COVID discussion, but I went to DTD this evening and saw a lot of what looked like executives at the GC. Ton of cars. Also, few people rearranging furniture in the DL hotel. Could see them through the windows. Also, lots of DCA rides testing lights and fun things.

I love seeing these things because it renews my sense of “we are so close!” 😃

Also, Jazz Kitchen opened up today, including Express, and I got my very first piping hot bag of beignets on the way out. Wowza, they make them well.
Activity is a promising sign. I appreciate the report!

Except the part about the beignets, because now I want some...... :/

Emmanuel

Sorry to interrupt the COVID discussion, but I went to DTD this evening and saw a lot of what looked like executives at the GC. Ton of cars. Also, few people rearranging furniture in the DL hotel. Could see them through the windows. Also, lots of DCA rides testing lights and fun things.

Also, Jazz Kitchen opened up today, including Express, and I got my very first piping hot bag of beignets on the way out. Wowza, they make them well.

I love the beignets!

Hearing DCA testing rides might be a welcoming sight to many because while its still uncertain when they'll reopen just seeing something happening at the parks from the outside can give people some hope. Imagine hearing the Mark Twains whistle, the bells of the DLRR or even the rumble of the boulder from Indiana Jones from the M&F Tram station across from World of Disney (yeah you can hear them).

Disney might be even encouraged a bit from the California Covid report today as hospitalization has gone down a bit seeing a 19% decrease with the ICU admission for Covid decreased by 16%. The cases will be updated as they get all the backlogged stuff sorted out.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Activity is a promising sign. I appreciate the report!

Except the part about the beignets, because now I want some...... :/

I’d give you some, but they’re gone :( plus, I just realized they taste 121% better if they are fresh out of the fryer than if they are sitting in the bag until you get home :( similar to Mrs. Knott’s chicken. Have it hot, or try again tomorrow haha

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
I love the beignets!

Hearing DCA testing rides might be a welcoming sight to many because while its still uncertain when they'll reopen just seeing something happening at the parks from the outside can give people some hope. Imagine hearing the Mark Twains whistle, the bells of the DLRR or even the rumble of the boulder from Indiana Jones from the M&F Tram station across from World of Disney (yeah you can hear them).

Disney might be even encouraged a bit from the California Covid report today as hospitalization has gone down a bit seeing a 19% decrease with the ICU admission for Covid decreased by 16%. The cases will be updated as they get all the backlogged stuff sorted out.
This is exciting! I will keep my ears and eyes peeled some more as I continue my adventures around DTD and the esplanade! They are doing construction too on the emporium, though idk what for. I’ve been hoping to track these forums for rumors (not necessarily for the emporium, but just activity in general) to piece together my observations 🕵🏻‍♀️ Nothing juicy yet, though.

lazyboy97o

And for mental health, theme park and other entertainment venues are absolutely essential, we need to fix the fact that there have been substantially more suicides than COVID deaths, we need to reduce suicides, not increase COVID of course.
Actually many of those countries also have had higher suicide rates than COVID deaths, so, no, throwing money at it doesn't fix it.
Making something up and then saying it over and over again won’t make it true.

Emmanuel

This is exciting! I will keep my ears and eyes peeled some more as I continue my adventures around DTD and the esplanade! They are doing construction too on the emporium, though idk what for. I’ve been hoping to track these forums for rumors (not necessarily for the emporium, but just activity in general) to piece together my observations 🕵🏻‍♀️ Nothing juicy yet, though.

Its probably just general maintenance for the Emporium. Minor repairs and repainting probably.

mandelbrot

Downtown Disney restaurants are dead. The week by week attendance had been slowly declining but now it's fallen off a cliff. Fridays have been the busiest days of the week but even Fridays are declining, Jazz Kitchen chose the wrong time to open up.

Curious Constance

I’d give you some, but they’re gone :( plus, I just realized they taste 121% better if they are fresh out of the fryer than if they are sitting in the bag until you get home :( similar to Mrs. Knott’s chicken. Have it hot, or try again tomorrow haha
I’ve been meaning to try the beignets for years but never have! This year I had solid plans for making sure we tried them basically first thing upon arrival. Since that isn’t happening, I REALLY hope Ralph’s can weather this storm so we can hopefully have a crack at them next year!

Phroobar

Downtown Disney restaurants are dead. The week by week attendance had been slowly declining but now it's fallen off a cliff. Fridays have been the busiest days of the week but even Fridays are declining, Jazz Kitchen chose the wrong time to open up.
Sure, just like any new ride, the attendance falls after the Disney geeks have done it. Let's face it, there isn't a lot of reason to go to DTD that you can't do anywhere else. It is just an expensive outdoor mall.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes

I will say, they—both sit down and express—were SLAMMED all day yesterday. Could it be because they just reopened? Maybe. But opening their express kitchen was Genius for those getting a bag on the way out. They had to open backstage areas for the line.

I hope the momentum stays. I was there in a random Wednesday yesterday and it was a very busy DTD.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Sure, just like any new ride, the attendance falls after the Disney geeks have done it. Let's face it, there isn't a lot of reason to go to DTD that you can't do anywhere else. It is just an expensive outdoor mall.

Idk, I would have agreed with that previously, but as I am a local and have gone multiple times—and witnessed the crowds—I don’t think that is the case. Reservations are almost always filled on Open Table or Disneyland App. Lines are typically long at all Disney-opened stores. And I don’t go on weekends, and I still see this.

And the reason I go to DTD rather than any other mall is because of that ambience. The music, the happy cast members, the cleanliness. And of course, to see the park gates. I know a lot of “Disney geeks” that still go often because of that. I will agree, though, for stores like California Sole or Sephora, I wouldn’t go out if my way to shop for those items in DTD. But I’d rather have a date night in DTD than Irvine Spectrum or Fashion Island right now, because a lot of it is ambience. But I’d rather do my shopping at IS or FI because of options and no price hike. Just depends.

The Mom

Premium Member
Please, no politics. And no more "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" arguments. We can't go back in time, and continuing to play the blame game gets us no where - except angry regardless of your situation.

AFAIK, no one is happy right now. We are all unhappy for one reason or another, so please don't make a bad situation worse.

Phroobar

Idk, I would have agreed with that previously, but as I am a local and have gone multiple times—and witnessed the crowds—I don’t think that is the case. Reservations are almost always filled on Open Table or Disneyland App. Lines are typically long at all Disney-opened stores. And I don’t go on weekends, and I still see this.

And the reason I go to DTD rather than any other mall is because of that ambience. The music, the happy cast members, the cleanliness. And of course, to see the park gates. I know a lot of “Disney geeks” that still go often because of that. I will agree, though, for stores like California Sole or Sephora, I wouldn’t go out if my way to shop for those items in DTD. But I’d rather have a date night in DTD than Irvine Spectrum or Fashion Island right now, because a lot of it is ambience. But I’d rather do my shopping at IS or FI because of options and no price hike. Just depends.
If DTD is just a place to hang out and enjoy the ambience, why go through the hassle of parking and dealing with crowds? There are other outdoor malls with ambience and shops that people actually shop at that aren't tourist traps.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
If DTD is just a place to hang out and enjoy the ambience, why go through the hassle of parking and dealing with crowds? There are other outdoor malls with ambience and shops that people actually shop at that aren't tourist traps.

I like Disney 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s ambience is 10x that of anything else, to me personally. The lack of theming and lack of special movie theme music is why I don’t like USH Citywalk. I feel like with all the properties they own, they can make it more like that. I went there for the first time when it reopened expecting it to be magical, and it was such a letdown.

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I view DTD and outdoor malls as fulfilling completely different wants/ needs for me. I go to an outdoor mall with a mission if I need a new pair of pants or if I need retail therapy. I visit DTD for an emotional destresser after work, or quaint date night, because it’s what I like. Lol

It’s almost a similar argument as “why spend so much hassle and money to go to Disneyland when you can just pay half that and go to cedar point (I came from the midwest) or six flags?” Disney just has that extra attention to detail, feel-good happy feeling, and impeccable customer service. I think that also applies to Downtown Disney. It’s not as big as Disney Springs is in Florida, but it hits the same chord.

mickEblu

CityWalk is superior to DtD. The vibe is better and the selection of shops is also better. Food may be a wash, though Sparky’s Doughnuts beats many of the selections at DtD. Then again, DtD has Salt & Straw.😍

It used to be but now it feels old and outdated. Maybe at night in normal non Covid conditions it still is but during the day DTD is definitely better. I went to the Citi Walk recently for lunch and it was depressing.

Californian Elitist

It used to be but now it feels old and outdated. Maybe at night in normal non Covid conditions it still is but during the day DTD is definitely better. I went to the Citi Walk recently for lunch and it was depressing.

Disagree, I actually feel the exact opposite, though DtD is boring from morning until night. I do agree that CityWalk is better at night. There’s really no point in going in the morning.

Another thing CityWalk has going for it is its location. Its placement in the mountains makes for better photos, especially during sunset.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom