News Disneyland Resort in California plans to begin phased reopening July 9

MarvelCharacterNerd

Agreed. And yet a big part of this conversation is how they will be balancing the demands (mostly from government or Twitter, some from actual paying customers) for Social Distancing in the parks.

I keep using Jungle Cruise as the example, as its a ride that has been there since 1955. Obviously this can't happen any longer, or at least not for the first few months of operation until the World Health Organization and the TV "experts" change their position (again) on masks and asymptomatic spread.

How do you operate the Jungle Cruise and not have people sitting this close to each other?

JBT298481LARGE.jpg

How do you run Pirates of the Caribbean that was designed to get 2,900 riders per hour at Disneyland? Leave every other row empty? And take half the boats off line and spread out the dispatch timing? And so only get 800 riders per hour?

IMG_22821.jpg

How do you feed the Haunted Mansion Omnimover designed to get 2,300 riders per hour based on both of the elevator rooms being packed full of people shoulder-to-shoulder for their elevator ride down into the basement?

Or any attraction loading area really, all designed to move thousands of people per hour through the space and its show?

Joe-Penniston-Flickr-56a951193df78cf772a5caaa.jpg

Extrapolate that out over the 60 other rides and attractions in Anaheim and the mind boggles; Radiator Springs Racers, Racist Splash Mountain - Presented by Ziploc, Little Mermaid, Matterhorn Bobsleds, Submarines, Star Tours, Millennium Falcon: Target Run, Golden Zephyr, Pixar Pal-A-Round, Midway Mania, etc., etc.

I don't envy site moderators like you in these bizarre times.

But I envy even less the Cast Members who have to figure this all out knowing full well there will be Lockdown! fans with Twitter accounts just waiting to see Disneyland mess up on their Social Distancing and then happily accuse Disney of killing grandma for a profit.
I was idly dreaming of a day back in the park. Which for me means DCA. Just sayin'... ;) So assuming there are characters appearing SOMEHOW and that 5 & Dime are driving around singing, and I can get a reservation, I'm gonna go. Though I REALLY hope they figure out a way to have the GOTG Dance-Off happen somewhere soon.

That said, I started thinking about where I was going to eat. Because that's another thing I like to do at the park. Okay, good, what do I want to eat? Award Weiners loaded fries of some kind sounds good to me! Great. And then I pictured that location. Where they generally always have a line at least two dozen people deep around main meal times. And another dozen gathered with their pagers around the pickup window. And another dozen coming by for their mobile pickup orders. And I'm trying to figure out how that socially distanced line won't take up the entire side of the street all the way down to Elias & Co... probably blocking the long line for the latest bucket at the popcorn cart which will be socially distanced all the way back past the churro cart which will be lined up down to the Coke machine area which will be lined back around GRR. Hmmm, maybe not.

Maybe I'll go get a soup bowl at the wharf. Except that line on a regular day can go out the door. So maybe they need to remove all the tables in the area in front of the cafe for that line. And all the tables by Ghirardelli's will have to go, too, while people wait for their sundaes. Oh but that will back up into the Chinese food place's line which will back up into Cars Land by Flo's... And Flo's line will wind back around the same corner so you can watch RSR while waiting for your food.

I'm being facetious, of course, but it really occurred to me that figuring out how to deal with food lines in small areas is going to be a bear, too. Even if they push as many people as possible to mobile order, not everyone can or will.

So like everyone else, once I can finally get back to the park, I'll have to pack my patience and give the CM's lots of kudos and appreciation because man are they gonna need it!

TP2000

So like everyone else, once I can finally get back to the park, I'll have to pack my patience and give the CM's lots of kudos and appreciation because man are they gonna need it!

I love that! And I appreciate that your mental image is of DCA. That park really blossomed over the last decade, and is finally a worthy companion to Disneyland. It's a fabulous place now. The entertainment is a big part of that transformation.

This will be fun to watch how TDA handles this. Attraction capacity, restaurant ordering and dining, entertainment viewing, etc., etc. All that stuff has to be completely rethought.

If TDA can re-imagine a world where their hotel rooms are cleaned before new customers check in, I'm sure they'll surprise us with some fun new things in the parks. Now we just have to figure out how we get allowed back into those parks!

Last edited:

cmwade77

Nope. Theatres, museums, and other such facilities are Stage 4. A theatre that sees 100 patrons can't reopen (for good reason) yet Disney jumps the line for money.
Museums are not in stage 4, they are stage 3 and reopening as early as Friday in most counties.

Movie theaters are allowed, live theatre is up for debate, concerts and sporting events with crowds are stage 4.

cmwade77

Yes, my CM friends are none too happy about this decision.
And my CM friends are ecstatic about it, they have been chomping at the bits to get back to work and panicking about what happens when the extra $600 a week stops coming in.

I think Disney is smart to allow those who want to stayed furloughed to be able to choose to do so, which allows those who want to work to be able to do so.

Curious Constance

On Sunday I was able to rebook my hotel reservation for over $200 less. My flight was listed at a round trip price of $91!!!!

I just looked out of curiosity to see if they have gone up, the hotel was over $200 more and the flight had more than tripled in price!!!!

In three days time my trip went up over $800.

The airlines and hotels servicing the area must have just been chomping at the bit for Disneyland to make this announcement. Crazy!

TP2000

On Sunday I was able to rebook my hotel reservation for over $200 less. My flight was listed at a round trip price of $91!!!!

I just looked out of curiosity to see if they have gone up, the hotel was over $200 more and the flight had more than tripled in price!!!!

In three days time my trip went up over $800.

The airlines and hotels servicing the area must have just been chomping at the bit for Disneyland to make this announcement. Crazy!

I'm a huge fan of the American free market, but I am also a fan of friends like yourself.

I love it when people get a great bargain and beat the system!

I'm thrilled for you and your well-earned summer vacation. :)

TP2000

Best part of using mobile order is standing in the quick service line with the peasants, realizing it's too long, placing the mobile order, then 2 minutes later stepping to the side to pick it up, confusing the heck out of everyone in line.

Thank you Bob for allowing me to get reactions by doing this every time.

I've done that!

Just for fun I would get in the long line at Award Wieners - Best Wiener In A Supporting Roll and settle in like I was waiting with the unwashed masses for a hot dog. But then I'd get out my phone, tap and swipe and order a full meal, and then two minutes later step out of line and look dismissively at those who remained.

I would then make a point of waving my tray full of food around as I passed all those fools who were still waiting in line to order. Once you'd been on Radiator Springs Racers and had a Manhattan at Carthay Circle, there wasn't much else in DCA to keep you entertained, so that's all you had. Passive-Aggressive Mobile Ordering, a DCA exclusive!

It's going to be kind of sad if everyone is mobile ordering now at Award Wieners. I'll just have to be that guy at the end of the bar at Carthay nursing my Manhattan and talking to the bartender about the old days when most fools had no idea how Mobile Ordering worked. :confused:

Last edited:

Emmanuel

Best part of using mobile order is standing in the quick service line with the peasants, realizing it's too long, placing the mobile order, then 2 minutes later stepping to the side to pick it up, confusing the heck out of everyone in line.

Thank you Bob for allowing me to get reactions by doing this every time.

I remembered when the Disneyland App first came out. It was one of the first few times I used my AP barcode to scan for entry and the family behind me with their physical tickets were wondering how I did that with my phone. I got similar reactions up until more started using it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom