News Disneyland Resort CLOSED on March 14th Indefinitely - No Known Reopening Date

Darkbeer1

>>Tennessee announced Friday it would lift capacity restrictions on restaurants and shops as it moves to focus on reopening larger attractions such as amusement parks, water parks and theaters starting next week.

Tennessee's Economic Recovery Group said 89 out of 95 counties in the state could lift capacity restrictions on businesses, adding that the next reopening phase begins May 22 for reopening larger noncontact attractions, according to Nashville, Tenn., NBC affiliate WSMV.

Included in the next phase of reopening are race tracks and auditoriums as well as recreational parks and large museums, although restrictions on gatherings of more than 10 people will remain in place for now.

"We're able to allow restaurants and retail businesses to operate at greater capacity and large attractions to open in a safe and thoughtful way," Gov. Bill Lee (R) said in a statement Friday.

A spokesperson for Dollywood told local media Friday that the theme park was working on plans to reopen as the state relaxes its restrictions on large attractions.

The state's decision is guided by criteria offered by the White House, as Tennessee has reported downward trajectories in COVID-19 illnesses and hospitalizations.

Tennessee reportedly tests 2 percent of its population per month for the novel coronavirus.

Davidson County, where Nashville is located, has reported a total of 3,795 coronavirus cases and 41 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University data. Davidson County reported an increase of 50 cases in the past 24 hours.<<

el_super

Advertisement
If you reopen these places with safety modification and use PPE, what's the harm?
One of the biggest challenges with this virus is the incubation time. The time that the virus is alive within a host, and able to be transmitted to other individuals. That period of time can be up to two weeks, and maybe even longer. Which means that we are now seeing the results of reopening policies that were enacted at the beginning of the month. As more things reopen, more people will get sick. That's not something to dispute. So it still remains to be seen how effective the social distancing policies, and reopening strategies are, in slowing the spread of the virus and controlling hospitalizations.

Specifically with Disneyland and Disney World, there's still a bit of hesitation on how seriously guests will accept the use of masks and social distancing, and whether it will be effective in a theme park environment. There is no way to be certain that children will be able to wear masks all day, and a growing contingent of people who just refuse to respect the request to wear a mask or accept reasonable accommodations. Because of those people, Disneyland will have to be one of the last things to reopen.

Darkbeer1

Specifically with Disneyland and Disney World, there's still a bit of hesitation on how seriously guests will accept the use of masks and social distancing, and whether it will be effective in a theme park environment. There is no way to be certain that children will be able to wear masks all day, and a growing contingent of people who just refuse to respect the request to wear a mask or accept reasonable accommodations. Because of those people, Disneyland will have to be one of the last things to reopen.
Holiday World has decided to not require masks, and they open in less than a month.

Disneyland can reopen this summer.

el_super

Holiday World has decided to not require masks, and they open in less than a month.

Disneyland can reopen this summer.
They could, but it's a huge risk, both from a public safety and public perception standpoint, and I don't see Disney taking that risk.

Darkbeer1

>>Dutch theme park Efteling plans to re-open on Wednesday (May 20) while introducing new safety measures.

The new protocols include safe social distancing, hygiene stations and clear information on adhering to local public health guidelines.

An initial re-opening period has included a number of test days in which the volume of visitors was gently expanded to ensure that staff can get used to the new working methods, which are continuously evaluated and improved to keep both employees and guests safe.

Efteling is placing central disinfection points and cleaning contact points, such as brackets and door handles regularly.

Employees will use personal protective equipment “if necessary”.

Guests will know how to keep sufficient distance from each other through clear information on signs, screens and markings on the ground.

Efteling hopes to welcome international guests once travel restrictions have been lifted in their respective countries.

The park attracted five million visitors a year prior to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Chief executive Fons Jurgens said: “We have always made sure that our guests can enjoy the park safely.

“That is no different now. What is different is exactly what that safety entails.

“We know better than anyone how guests move in our park and how we can spread groups and we are using this knowledge to ensure guests can always keep a safe distance.

“Fortunately, we have plenty of space because our park is approximately the size of 140 football fields.

“We also allow a limited number of guests to pre-book their visit. This way we can guarantee that everyone has the space for their day out.”<<

Last edited:

DavidDL

When Disneyland re-opens, I'll be there. -and I'll jump through whatever hoops they ask in order to support them.

Regarding some of the smaller businesses, I think maybe some rules have been relaxed that I didn't know about when it comes to "non-essential" stuff because this past weekend a wildly in-demand Magic: The Gathering set released and all of my local game shops were open selling it (I live in SoCal). They had reduced hours/staff and were mainly doing outside pick up but they were happily accepting transactions and fetching whatever you needed inside the store. Either that or they were simply just open despite it all. In either case, I went around to each of them and spent a few hundred in order to show my support.

el_super

Shanghai is open.
Yes, because China was aggressive, and shutdown whole cities for months in order to control the virus. They had 1 new case in Shanghai yesterday, a city of 20 million people. Anaheim had 32 new cases yesterday, in a city of about 300,000.

I think at some point, to put it mildly, you're going to have to accept that Disney just doesn't think the same way as you do. They will open when they are ready to open, and that will be when they feel it is safe to do so.

Disney Mesocosm

From one of the underlying sources of the OC Register article presented by @Darkbeer1 in post #3942 ...

pueyoGrid.png

Extracted from:

The sooner our elected officials (at both ends of the political spectrum) change the channel from the politicization of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, and select the channel where policy creation is based on the cold, hard math ... the more we'll be able to minimize the economic downside of our current strategy of mitigation ... the more we'll be able to protect the most vulnerable within our society ... and the sooner we'll all be able to enjoy Disneyland once again. Only my opinion ... your mileage will vary.

Just trying to help with channel selection ...

giphy-donaldArmSignalnoise01.gif

Darkbeer1

Yes, because China was aggressive, and shutdown whole cities for months in order to control the virus. They had 1 new case in Shanghai yesterday, a city of 20 million people. Anaheim had 32 new cases yesterday, in a city of about 300,000.

I think at some point, to put it mildly, you're going to have to accept that Disney just doesn't think the same way as you do. They will open when they are ready to open, and that will be when they feel it is safe to do so.
You do know that I am on the board that administers the multi-million Disneyland and Resort Businesses political spending.

I am also on the Disneyland VIP list, including access to the DLR President, Rebecca Campbell.

Sorry to say, I am on the board because Disney thinks I think they same way they do, at least in Anaheim/Orange County.

And yes, we had some new cases (but no new deaths), mainly because they are aggressively testing Nursing Homes and similar places, which Anaheim has many of.

And as for China numbers, I just don;t trust them, and I am in a large group that believes that.

Disney Mesocosm

The amusement park will also practice social distancing and likely will not require face masks.
I swear that this will be the last time that I redundantly flog the deceased equine named "Masks" ... :bookworm:

pueyoR0reductions.png

Extracted from:

From the article ...

"... Most people are infectious before they even know they’re sick ... Wearing masks prevents sick people from infecting others by keeping their droplets inside the mask ... They also protect healthy people from being infected ... You can have 100% of your population wear house-made masks within a matter of a few days ... If a majority of people wear house-made masks that are reasonably effective, that measure alone could stop the epidemic ... Given the cost (nothing) and the benefit (huge), mandating them is a no-brainer."

Just trying to help with channel selection ...

giphy-mickeySignalnoise01.gif

DavidDL

el_super

You do know that I am on the board that administers the multi-million Disneyland and Resort Businesses political spending.
Yeah... which is why it's so weird you can't seem to understand how they are responding to this.

And as for China numbers, I just don;t trust them, and I am in a large group that believes that.
So you're thinking here is that Disneyland should reopen, because Shanghai is open, but China is lying about their numbers. So are you saying Shanghai shouldn't be open either? Or maybe you're trying to suggest Anaheim start lying about their numbers too? You can't use Shanghai as a reason for opening, and then suggest that opening is being done under false pretenses.

DavidDL

I thought the point he was making was pretty clear. If (don't @ me people, I said if) China is lying about their numbers then you end up with:

China/Shanghai (20 million) has more COVID cases than they are letting on -> But Shanghai Disneyland is open
Anaheim (300,000) has COVID cases -> So Disneyland should be allowed open too

For the record, I personally think they'll open around July time using the strategies they've learned from the Shanghai opening. That's just my humble guess (same amount of time as Shanghai, unemployment benefits ending, etc).

Darkbeer1

Yeah... which is why it's so weird you can't seem to understand how they are responding to this.

So you're thinking here is that Disneyland should reopen, because Shanghai is open, but China is lying about their numbers. So are you saying Shanghai shouldn't be open either? Or maybe you're trying to suggest Anaheim start lying about their numbers too? You can't use Shanghai as a reason for opening, and then suggest that opening is being done under false pretenses.
Yes I can, I disagree with your comments, but Disney is a business, and they opened because people have to get back to work and living their lives.

Shanghai opened not because what the government did in regards to COVID-19, but because Disney and the Chinese Government (partial owner) knows they have to get back to living, and returning to a more normal type of life.

Returning to living is not a false pretense.

If you don't think The Walt Disney Company and the Disneyland Resort is working aggressively behind the scenes at the California State and local/regional level to get the entire Resort open as soon as possible, well, that is totally wrong. ASAP means weeks/months, not years.

Let me add one example, Tesla's Factory in Alameda is up and running, people back to work building cars in California.

Mouse Trap

I think islands of adventure is going to be the first major theme park in the US to reopen. It’s going to be very important to look at how it operates, if people are following rules, And if there is an increase in cases in Orlando afterwards.
Face masks required, armies of cleaning staff, lots of open air space, capacity restrictions, temperature checks -- theme parks are sounding a lot safer than many businesses reopening right now.

A family member in Georgia sent me photos from a popular dining hall/market. The area was generally open air, but there were easily hundreds of people with no one visibly wearing a mask and not much regard for "social distancing" despite efforts to space out seating. I imagine they don't have nearly the same cleaning staff as Disney either.

Top Bottom