Disneyland reaches tentative agreement with Master Services Council

Old Mouseketeer

Original Poster
One of my Bothan spies reports they just received a text from one of their union reps that there is a tentative collective agreement with Disney which will be presented to union members for a vote on Thursday, July 26 in the Lincoln Theater from 0800-2000. This was an official notification that can be shared. No word on what the offer contains, but based on past conversations I would expect this to mean things have either improved to the point that the unions feel it worthy of a vote or they are so bad that no further negotiation is possible at this time.

The Master Services Council bargains collectively for the unions that represent CMs in attractions, custodial, stores, main gate, and costuming (among others). This covers a majority of union workers at the resort, but not foods or entertainment performers. It will be interesting to see what the offer contains.

Last edited:

TP2000

Well, that ended rather quickly.

I imagine a year or two into the new contract they are still starting a few dimes and quarters over the rapidly rising state minimum wage. Right?

Old Mouseketeer

Original Poster
UPDATE:

I talked to a couple of CMs who saw their union reps today. My understanding is that it's .50 more this year and .50 next year. Definitely not a real living wage and irrelevant in light of the state minimum wage scheduled to go up and even more so if the Anaheim living wage initiative passes. I think the big takeaway is that Disney is unwilling to value their longtime employees. There is no mechanism for senior CMs to maintain their higher wages compared to new hires as these increases are implemented. Everyone is waiting for the meeting on Thursday where the facts will be clearly presented. But all the people I talked to are voting No.

Old Mouseketeer

Original Poster
But what about the Eastern Gateway?

I know that's carefully placed snark (well played, sir), but my two cents is that Eastern Gateway is on hold until 1) Disney sees which way the City Council election goes this fall, 2) whether they make any progress with Harbor Blvd. business in the meantime, and 3) USCIS moves out of their building on Clementine in 2020. I won't be surprised if Disney gives the project some thought and tries to finesses things a bit.

TP2000

So, what’s the word?

When I was a youngster and just out of the service I was a dues paying Teamster for a few years. I remember voting on the new contract and going in to cast my ballot very innocently, thinking the Teamsters union bosses would be there and they would tell me all the details of the contract to consider before I voted.

Instead I was met by a long table staffed by a half dozen middle-aged Teamsters secretaries all in giant beehive hairdos who barked out your last name, slid the ballot across the table, and stared you down while bellowing “Check yes and put it in the box!... Next!”

I can’t imagine things have changed much, except for the hairdos.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

Original Poster
Well, the votes are counted. My Bothans report that the contract was ratified by almost 3/4 of the members. Everyone making $11 now will jump to $13.25 now and $15 in January. There were a few more details, although I wasn't clear on the technicalities. One person I talked to who voted No wasn't too upset. They said they didn't feel the unions were really prepared for a long fight if the contract was voted down. So it sounds like some progress was made and things will be a little better for the people who make magic for us. I think Disney comes out ahead both from a PR standpoint and by making Disney employment a little more appealing in the face of increasing turnover/worker dissatisfaction and the need to have SW:GE fully staffed and ready to handle the teeming hordes next year.

Now that this drama is over, just let me say this: DL SW:GE is bigger than WDW SW:GE!!! So neener neener neener!

TP2000

Wow, $15 an hour to start this January?

Congratulations to all those CM's!

FamousElasticDogwoodclubgall-size_restricted.gif

Darkbeer1

The non-Union CM's also will be getting a wage hike, $15.75 minimum starting January 1st.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/...on-union-workers-13-90-then-15-75-in-january/

>>
The Disneyland Resort will set a minimum wage for its non-union workers at $15.75 an hour Dec. 30, just above the $15 recently negotiated for four of the company’s unions.

“We regularly evaluate the market,” Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown wrote in an email. “The dynamics in the SoCal market warrant the increase. They normally get an increase at that time of year (merit) and the planned increase is inclusive of that, plus market.”

Disney had raised the minimum for non-union workers to $13.90 from $11 an hour in July. The new increase amounts to a 36 percent jump in six months.

About 7,000 of Disney’s 30,000 employees are not represented by unions, including some 300 at the Walt Disney Travel Company Reservations Call Center, as well as photographers who work across the park, administrative support workers in Disney office buildings, employees at the Partners Federal Credit Union and at the company’s workforce management division, a branch of payroll.

Character actors, workers who dress like Disney’s animated figures, are non-unionized too, as are employees who work in front desk and concierge roles at Disney hotels.

Brown declined to say how many of the 7,000 non-union employees work hourly jobs, or how many currently earn less than $15.75.<<

Darkbeer1

http://www.anaheimblog.net/2018/09/01/consequences-of-ending-disney-tax-incentive-agreements/

>>
UNITE-HERE Local 11 and the Coalition of Resort Labor Unions (CRLU) Have Really Screwed The Pooch
From the beginning, they’ve pitched their $18 minimum wage to voters as forcing Disney to pay “a living wage” (even though it casts a much wider net of affected businesses). They’ve spent hundreds of thousands of their members’ dues money qualifying and promoting it.

Since then, Disney reached agreement with the Master Services Council – representing about a third of the Resort’s unionized workers – boosting their wages.

Then Disney announced in mid-August its raising the starting hourly wage of non-union workers to $15.75 beginning in January 2018.

Next, Disney announced it is halting the 4-Diamond hotel project – which would have created 1,000 new members of UNITE-HERE Local 11.

Several days later, Disney announced it’s withdrawing from the TOT rebate and gate tax moratorium agreements – rendering the unions’ “living wage” initiative inapplicable to the Disneyland Resort – and all the CRLU union members who work there.

In short, all Disneyland Resort employees are getting significant wage increases – except for those represented by CRLU unions, which have spent huge sums of their members money on an initiative that will have no impact on their members.

The mayor and his allies may consider this a political win, but it’s a Pyrrhic one, at best. The city loses, as do the CRLU unions, the building trades, and the Anaheim Resort.<<

Disney Irish

Premium Member
http://www.anaheimblog.net/2018/09/01/consequences-of-ending-disney-tax-incentive-agreements/

>>
UNITE-HERE Local 11 and the Coalition of Resort Labor Unions (CRLU) Have Really Screwed The Pooch
From the beginning, they’ve pitched their $18 minimum wage to voters as forcing Disney to pay “a living wage” (even though it casts a much wider net of affected businesses). They’ve spent hundreds of thousands of their members’ dues money qualifying and promoting it.

Since then, Disney reached agreement with the Master Services Council – representing about a third of the Resort’s unionized workers – boosting their wages.

Then Disney announced in mid-August its raising the starting hourly wage of non-union workers to $15.75 beginning in January 2018.

Next, Disney announced it is halting the 4-Diamond hotel project – which would have created 1,000 new members of UNITE-HERE Local 11.

Several days later, Disney announced it’s withdrawing from the TOT rebate and gate tax moratorium agreements – rendering the unions’ “living wage” initiative inapplicable to the Disneyland Resort – and all the CRLU union members who work there.

In short, all Disneyland Resort employees are getting significant wage increases – except for those represented by CRLU unions, which have spent huge sums of their members money on an initiative that will have no impact on their members.

The mayor and his allies may consider this a political win, but it’s a Pyrrhic one, at best. The city loses, as do the CRLU unions, the building trades, and the Anaheim Resort.<<

If I was a union member I’d consider a lawsuit against the union for mismanagement of union funds for political purposes.

Darkbeer1

If I was a union member I’d consider a lawsuit against the union for mismanagement of union funds for political purposes.

Unite HERE has the basic Master Service Contract on its desk, with some modified start dates, but the same wage hikes are there (might be a bit less for tipped employees), also the $1,000 bonus checks.

All Unite HERE bosses have to do is call a vote.

But for "political" reasons in regards to the ALWI, the bosses don't want to have their members paid more until after the election, depriving members of months of higher pay.

So yes, I would call for a vote of no confidence to get rid of Unite HERE and find a new union to represent them. And then with the help of the new Union, sue the heck out of Unite HERE.

TP2000

Unite HERE has the basic Master Service Contract on its desk, with some modified start dates, but the same wage hikes are there (might be a bit less for tipped employees), also the $1,000 bonus checks.

All Unite HERE bosses have to do is call a vote.

But for "political" reasons in regards to the ALWI, the bosses don't want to have their members paid more until after the election, depriving members of months of higher pay.

So yes, I would call for a vote of no confidence to get rid of Unite HERE and find a new union to represent them. And then with the help of the new Union, sue the heck out of Unite HERE.

Oh my God. I hadn't realized that. That's almost criminal, if not just mean.

So the housekeepers who currently make $11 an hour, and get union dues taken out to fund Unite HERE, had their union contract expire months ago. Meanwhile other unions representing ten thousand other CM's negotiated with Disneyland management within their existing union contracts and just got huge raises taking them to $15 an hour and also qualify each CM for the $1,000 bonus from President Trump's Federal Tax Cuts. But the housekeepers union won't allow them to get a similar contract and get them a huge raise and bonus almost immediately?

And yet we've been told these are CM's who can't afford food, who often are homeless and nearly destitute, but the union won't agree to an immediate raise to $15 an hour and a $1,000 cash bonus to stock their member's kitchen pantries and clothe their children???

The union is waiting to agree to the $15 starting wage.... for what exactly while their dues paying CM's starve and live in their cars???

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom