Disneyland Reaches Return to Work Agreements with 11 Cast Member Unions, Making Quick Reopening Possible with Government Guidelines

smooch

Original Poster

Just saw this and thought it was a good sign for a step in the right direction but I believe it is still mainly dependent on Newsom cooperating with Disney. Just wanted to share, what are your thoughts on this step?

el_super

Just saw this and thought it was a good sign for a step in the right direction but I believe it is still mainly dependent on Newsom cooperating with Disney. Just wanted to share, what are your thoughts on this step?

It's a step in the right direction, to be sure. The unions probably could send a letter to Newsom asking him to reconsider their previous request to keep the park closed, but it's doubtful it will have much of an impact. Disneyland is still pretty small compared to other bigger unions in the state.

Darkbeer1

>>The Disneyland Resort has reached return-to-work agreements with 11 of its cast member unions. These agreements implement a set of COVID-19 health and safety measures and protocols that will be in place when cast members return to their jobs whenever Governor Newsom gets around to allowing the Resort to re-open.

The unions in question represent the large majority of Resort cast members. They include Workers Unite Local 50, the Master Services Council, the Independent Employee Services Association, the Craft Maintenance Council and the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees.

The militant UNITE-HERE Local 11, the largest union in the Coalition of Resort Labor Unions (CRLU) has not reached a return-to-work agreement, and doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to do so – despite the fact that 90% of its members are unemployed due to the COVID-19 shut down.

Also not in a hurry is Governor Newsom, whose zig-zagging jumble of re-opening guidelines, criteria and tiers are more help than hindrance to restoring a fully functional economy.

For weeks, Newsom promised theme park re-opening guidelines would be issued “very, very soon.” Then, last week, Newsom declared he was in “no hurry” to issue them. Yesterday, his Health and Human Services secretary demurred the Newsom administration would issue guidelines “when we’re ready.”

Meanwhile, closure of the Disneyland Resort – now entering its eight months – has hit the region like an economic meteor. Disney announced it will have to lay-off 28,000 cast members from its Disney Parks, Entertainment and Products division. Nearly 9,000 of those layoffs will come from the Disneyland Resort.

The Resort’s closure has devastated hotels and other businesses that depend on the tourism trade, leading to rising layoffs and business closures.

The City of Anaheim is bleeding red ink as its largest source of tax revenue has virtually dried up.

UNITE-HERE Local 11’s co-president, Ada Briceno, is also the chair of the Democratic Party of Orange County – uniquely positioning her to apply pressure on Governor Newsom to expedite theme park re-opening guidelines so that Local 11 members can return to their jobs and resume earning a living.

However, Briceno has been silent as her members languish – although she and her Local 11 staff have asked jobless members to keep paying dues.<<

cmwade77

>>The Disneyland Resort has reached return-to-work agreements with 11 of its cast member unions. These agreements implement a set of COVID-19 health and safety measures and protocols that will be in place when cast members return to their jobs whenever Governor Newsom gets around to allowing the Resort to re-open.

The unions in question represent the large majority of Resort cast members. They include Workers Unite Local 50, the Master Services Council, the Independent Employee Services Association, the Craft Maintenance Council and the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees.

The militant UNITE-HERE Local 11, the largest union in the Coalition of Resort Labor Unions (CRLU) has not reached a return-to-work agreement, and doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to do so – despite the fact that 90% of its members are unemployed due to the COVID-19 shut down.

Also not in a hurry is Governor Newsom, whose zig-zagging jumble of re-opening guidelines, criteria and tiers are more help than hindrance to restoring a fully functional economy.

For weeks, Newsom promised theme park re-opening guidelines would be issued “very, very soon.” Then, last week, Newsom declared he was in “no hurry” to issue them. Yesterday, his Health and Human Services secretary demurred the Newsom administration would issue guidelines “when we’re ready.”

Meanwhile, closure of the Disneyland Resort – now entering its eight months – has hit the region like an economic meteor. Disney announced it will have to lay-off 28,000 cast members from its Disney Parks, Entertainment and Products division. Nearly 9,000 of those layoffs will come from the Disneyland Resort.

The Resort’s closure has devastated hotels and other businesses that depend on the tourism trade, leading to rising layoffs and business closures.

The City of Anaheim is bleeding red ink as its largest source of tax revenue has virtually dried up.

UNITE-HERE Local 11’s co-president, Ada Briceno, is also the chair of the Democratic Party of Orange County – uniquely positioning her to apply pressure on Governor Newsom to expedite theme park re-opening guidelines so that Local 11 members can return to their jobs and resume earning a living.

However, Briceno has been silent as her members languish – although she and her Local 11 staff have asked jobless members to keep paying dues.<<
Keep paying your dues while we do nothing to help you, sorry it doesn't work that way.

Darkbeer1

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I’m highlighting this part statement because it deserves repeating as this is the most relevant/important piece of information in this article if not the crux of why I’d venture this whole mess is actually occurring to begin with...

If I recall correctly the percentage of Unite Here Local 11 employees relative to the rest of the overall CM population is fairly small but someone can correct me.

Darkbeer1

I’m highlighting this part statement because it deserves repeating as this is the most relevant/important piece of information in this article if not the crux of why I’d venture this whole mess is actually occurring to begin with...

If I recall correctly the percentage of Unite Here Local 11 employees relative to the rest of the overall CM population is fairly small but someone can correct me.

UNITE HERE 11, pre-COVID had about 2,000 DLR CM members, mainly working in the three Hotels.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

UNITE HERE 11, pre-COVID had about 2,000 DLR CM members, mainly working in the three Hotels.

Got it. As I recall UNITE HERE 11 represents the other area hotels in the area as well? Trying to get an estimate of the total impacted individuals.

This whole situation with the leadership of UNITE HERE 11 is unfortunate, as it’s one thing to hold out in the interest of advancing CM health and safety (including time off, on-site testing, etc.), but it’s another thing to hold out and treat your union brethren as hostages at the altar of Dr. Moreno’s political ambitions.

The motives of the 120 mile radius limit are suddenly coming into even clearer view now. I will double down on what I’ve said/predicted before... I don’t see the zip code limits being lifted in future “reopening” guidelines.

Darkbeer1

UNITE HERE 11 represents Hotel Workers, Food Service (Such as the Sodeko DLR employees), and Airport Workers related to Food Service.

Membership is basically Southern California and Arizona.

el_super

but it’s another thing to hold out and treat your union brethren as hostages at the altar of Dr. Moreno’s political ambitions.

Eh don't fall for the partisan hype. The union leadership is still popular and supported by the union members. If the unions didn't act in the interests of their members, their members can replace them.

If the union leaders werr advocating for keeping the parks closed, despite the wishes of their union members, I'm sure you would have heard about it by now.

cmwade77

Got it. As I recall UNITE HERE 11 represents the other area hotels in the area as well? Trying to get an estimate of the total impacted individuals.

This whole situation with the leadership of UNITE HERE 11 is unfortunate, as it’s one thing to hold out in the interest of advancing CM health and safety (including time off, on-site testing, etc.), but it’s another thing to hold out and treat your union brethren as hostages at the altar of Dr. Moreno’s political ambitions.

The motives of the 120 mile radius limit are suddenly coming into even clearer view now. I will double down on what I’ve said/predicted before... I don’t see the zip code limits being lifted in future “reopening” guidelines.
I think you are right they won't be lifted, but if any of the parks sue over that (after reopening) I don't think it will hold up in court.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom