Disneyland passholder lawsuit alleges Magic Key deceptively advertises no blockout dates - OCR

CaptinEO

The talking past each other point is the motivation of limiting capacity.

Disney spins this as 'its about guest experience' -- only partially true. They don't want the park so overloaded that people are lining up with pitchforks and torches at city hall or online. They want to avoid disgruntled guest level - not apply the same rules to improve the guest experience all the time. That's the difference between 'limiting to avoid overload' vs 'wanting lower crowds overall'.

They want to avoid the situations where the park is slammed and it costs more to operate. Hiring all those buses and paying to shuttle people to the stadium? All that traffic control? All those extra police? All those extra crowd control CMs? Disney wants to minimize all that kind of stuff.

They are doing it for the 'guest experience' to the limit where it aligns with their own management of resources. As long as the crowd load is below Disney's ideal point... you're not getting any more limiting for 'guest experience' :)
Oh I completely agree with you. They have been diminishing the guest experience to increase profit margins for a long time.

They are not trying to lower the crowds to the point of losing money, but they did find the sweet spot of what crowd levels are productive for spending.

CaptinEO

Try winning a political argument with “but the POTUS literally said” - CEO’s are just as bad as politicians. They will say whatever they need to say to make the shareholders believe that there brilliant idea is making them more money.
This is an earnings report with shareholders. It's not a random interview. Earnings reports have a legality to them where the CEO actually can not lie or it is fraud.

So yes in this case you should believe the CEO.

TrainsOfDisney

This is an earnings report with shareholders. It's not a random interview. Earnings reports have a legality to them where the CEO actually can not lie or it is fraud.

So yes in this case you should believe the CEO.
Oh he’s not lying... but I don’t believe guest spending is up because of lower crowds. I believe It’s up because people have more spending money and weren’t able to visit the parks for a while.

el_super

Oh he’s not lying... but I don’t believe guest spending is up because of lower crowds. I believe It’s up because people have more spending money and weren’t able to visit the parks for a while.

The decrease in attendance and corresponding increase in revenue occurred in 2019.

el_super

Huh? The summer that Disneyland lifted blackout dates and were practically begging people to come to the parks cause nobody came to see 1/2 of a Star Wars land?

Yep. I think attendance was down 3% and revenue being up 7% that summer. They made more money with fewer people in the park.

Touchdown

I certainly hope this changes before I want to spend a year going, I’m from far away (WI) and when I go I go for 5-6 days at a time in Oct, Dec, Feb, June/July, and Oct. As it stands now I wouldn’t likely be able to go due to the reservations system because of weekends, even if I stayed at a resort! Why is it that DL doesn’t give an exception for resort guests like WDW does? I end up going 26ish times a year so it’s not like I’m “abusing” a pass and would pay more provided I didn’t need to stress over reservations.

shambolicdefending

I certainly hope this changes before I want to spend a year going, I’m from far away (WI) and when I go I go for 5-6 days at a time in Oct, Dec, Feb, June/July, and Oct. As it stands now I wouldn’t likely be able to go due to the reservations system because of weekends, even if I stayed at a resort! Why is it that DL doesn’t give an exception for resort guests like WDW does? I end up going 26ish times a year so it’s not like I’m “abusing” a pass and would pay more provided I didn’t need to stress over reservations.
The new system does really hurt non-local passholders. We're in TX and purchased APs a couple of times in the past, but we couldn't justify it again with MKs.

I think folks like us are a pretty small minority of potential customers, though, so I doubt Disney is worried too much about us.

TrainsOfDisney

The new system does really hurt non-local passholders. We're in TX and purchased APs a couple of times in the past, but we couldn't justify it again with MKs.

I think folks like us are a pretty small minority of potential customers, though, so I doubt Disney is worried too much about us.
I’m a couple states away from Florida and I used to see WDW AP magnets all the time.

There was more of us than most people realize I think!

TsWade2

As much as I would love to see Disneyland bringing back original annual passes, but I don't think I want to waste my time hoping it'll happen. The only thing I hope for whatever the Judge verdicts, I hope they change the reservation system or replace Magic Key Passes to make better passes even if it includes reservations.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As much as I would love to see Disneyland bringing back original annual passes, but I don't think I want to waste my time hoping it'll happen. The only thing I hope for whatever the Judge verdicts, I hope they change the reservation system or replace Magic Key Passes to make better passes even if it includes reservations.
Personally I think Disney is going to modify the system long before the verdict is handed down.

I still suspect reservations will be part of the system, maybe with a change like make them only required for weekends like Thursday-Sunday or even if its less likely maybe surprise us all and just get rid of the reservations altogether (but wouldn't hold my breath on that).

TsWade2

Personally I think Disney is going to modify the system long before the verdict is handed down.

I still suspect reservations will be part of the system, maybe with a change like make them only required for weekends like Thursday-Sunday or even if its less likely maybe surprise us all and just get rid of the reservations altogether (but wouldn't hold my breath on that).
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath either, but the one you suggest maybe a fine idea.

CaptinEO

The idea of needing reservations for staffing is a fallacy too. Disneyland has been open every day of the year since the mid 80s.

They know how much staffing the park needs on any given day and in fact have continually reduced staffing year after year.

The reservations are just metrics for them to maximize thinning out labor and hours even more than before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom